the "no replacement for displacement" Build thread - Page 4

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: the "no replacement for displacement" Build thread

1st Gear
    I love it! Just makes me chuckle thinking about it. Good work!

It sounds like something ate the Passat.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by smac4th View Post
    Shouldn't be to hard to be faster then a charger r/t. I drove one at work and Maybe there was something wrong with the car but to me it didn't feel fast or quick. Maybe I'm used to the type of powerband on a turbocharged engine
    i just have this hatred for chargers lol... i remember last year when this car was just PES supercharged with a custom intake and i got alongside an R/T and i took off and he just zoomed right by me like i wasn't even moving lol. hard to imagine this car being that fast but ill have an R/T beat in Hp and Tq so we'll see if the old school muscle can outrun the new age technology. then a hellcat will come along.... dammit.

my friend actually had the opportunity to drive a hellcat at his dealership. Lets just say he was very impressed

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    my friend actually had the opportunity to drive a hellcat at his dealership. Lets just say he was very impressed
    yeah a close friend of mine has been working on the hellcats in Detroit since they released, I had an opportunity to ride in one as well. fast as sheeeit no doubt about that. not my cup of tea overall considering the pricing I believe is pretty close to what you would pay for a corvette, but its definitely a monster. I remember some years ago when the CTS-V came out with the 556hp and I told myself "that's it, they cant go any higher..." but then someone comes along and releases something ridiculous like the hellcat.. and now the dodge demon. Over 800hp in a daily driver that's economical, sort of.

got my front differential mount fabbed up last night and that turned out nicely, was quite easy as the bmw mounting point is directly under the rear subframe tube. got some cardboard out and made a template, then went to the wheel of death grinder and got my piece. going to weld that into place tonight and mounting for the rear differential is finished. coat of rubberized underbody paint and ill put the wheels back on the car until the driveshaft flange adapter comes and I get the new shaft fitted. definitely will have an update later this week at least driving down the road.

1st Gear
    well the driveshaft, yoke, and flange with the correct dimensions were dropped off at the local driveshaft shop this morning, once again the Driveshaft shop in NC came through huge with this adapter flange. top notch guys, fair prices, and great customer service. I couldn't imagine the headaches of having to get a machine shop to make these for me. but hopefully its not too busy today and they'll have my new driveshaft completed. then the car will be once again back on the ground tonight and moving in the correct direction. still need to sort out my throttle cable routing and mounting, does anyone know where the drive by cable older passats wire passes through the firewall? any help would be greatly appreciated.

BMW rear flange.jpg

4th Gear
    ...does anyone know where the drive by cable passats throttle cable passes through the firewall?
    The hole for the throttle cable is high on the main firewall* and passes through the secondary firewall within ~1 inch of the top edge (from memory). Reason being, the cable needs to have a straight path between the metal "ring" with bushing at the top of the throttle pedal and the attachment point on the throttle body. I realize photos would be nice, but the AEB Passat is ~90 miles away.

*If you still have the factory plenum cover used to cover the battery, the throttle cable will need to run ~3/4 inch or so below this cover.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Electron Man View Post
    The hole for the throttle cable is high on the main firewall* and passes through the secondary firewall within ~1 inch of the top edge (from memory). Reason being, the cable needs to have a straight path between the metal "ring" with bushing at the top of the throttle pedal and the attachment point on the throttle body. I realize photos would be nice, but the AEB Passat is ~90 miles away.

*If you still have the factory plenum cover used to cover the battery, the throttle cable will need to run ~3/4 inch or so below this cover.

interesting, I will have to do some digging tonight when we get started to finish up the throttle cable. thanks for the info though I appreciate it!

1st Gear
    Been keeping up with this, you've done a phenomenal job! Talk about a sleeper...until they hear it that is!
    gunrubandits65 likes this.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRustySuper View Post
    Been keeping up with this, you've done a phenomenal job! Talk about a sleeper...until they hear it that is!
    thanks man that's very kind of you to say. yes its been a long 8 months of head scratching, but hopefully it all finishes up well. just got a call, DRIVESHAFT IS DONE BAY BAYYYY.
    TheRustySuper and VAGguy like this.

1st Gear
    well it finally happened. my first drive down the road. everything went pretty well, no shakes or unexpected surprises. car was running well, kept cool, and the transmission was pretty good. I think it was going through a calibration stage so it was a little finicky at first, but just kept an eye on the trans module and things seemed to smooth out pretty quick. ill continue to update once ive put a couple more miles on the car and get everything just the way I want it. posted a couple little videos below for you guys.

http://https://youtu.be/Z0OPs0P5Jag

https://youtu.be/-R9K7WRxNpo
    jmassengill likes this.

first link didn't work but second one did. Nice work Although strange hearing a Passat sound like that let alone a station wagon it put a big smile on my face. Keep up the awsome work
    jmassengill likes this.

1st Gear
    first link didn't work but second one did. Nice work Although strange hearing a Passat sound like that let alone a station wagon it put a big smile on my face. Keep up the awsome work
    thanks man! yeah IMO that's the best part.. station wagon sleeper. of course once we get an exhaust on this thing it will be much quieter, but no chance for hiding that large cam lope! haha

15. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information