Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

2001 B5 headlight issues.

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  jjpark 
#1 ·
OK,

I'm at my wits end with this headlight thing. I have changed out the bright switch/turn signal switch and the headlight switch with known good working ones from the other Passat. I've changed out both bulbs and the headlight fuses and I still cannot get low beam headlights. I don't know what else to do. The passenger side light was working before and now it's not working either. Anyone got any ideas?

#4 ·
I would check the wiring and ground in the lights themselves. When I replaced the whole assemblies the wires inside were in bad condition. All the insulation was cracked and exposed the wire itself. That was in my 04 so I imaging the would be the same in an 01

I would also test the plugs where the bulbs go to see if you're getting power there. If not I would move onto the plug that hooks the lights

#5 ·
I would check the wiring and ground in the lights themselves. When I replaced the whole assemblies the wires inside were in bad condition. All the insulation was cracked and exposed the wire itself. That was in my 04 so I imaging the would be the same in an 01.
Depends on climate and storage, I think. My '01 has lived in a mild climate, garaged ~30% of the time, and the wiring and connections remain in good shape.

#8 ·
I am getting a good voltage at the bulb itself, and I was able to determine with a multimeter that I was getting no ground from the bulbs. Then I figured out that the bulbs were both blown. So I will be grabbing some new bulbs Tuesday and keep on from that point. I seriously hope that is the cause and not something in the headlight assembly harness itself.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

#10 ·
Scott. I did change the bulbs but for some reason both of them were blown when I took them back out tony troubleshoot the wiring issues. They looked like the actual filament broke inside the bulb and they didn't look blown from overheating or from a fingerprint on the bulb itself. Don't know what happened unless the package of bulbs I got was just old.

#11 ·
Oil from your fingers shouldn't kill the bulbs that quick. I have touched bulbs on purpose and it didn't do a thing but maybe shorten the life expectancy of maybe a month but who knows.

If they were both blown I would replace one of them and see what happens. Then install the other side. Won't hurt to use a small dab of Dialectic grease on the new ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.