Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

USP Coil Pack Wiring harness problems - Car won't start

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Tomvw 
#1 ·
I followed a thread but I have problems not addressed in it. Since there were two of us on the thread with potentially different problems, it was suggested I start my own thread, so here we go.

The thread in question: http://www.passatworld.com/forums/v...coil-pack-wire-harness-installation-help.html

I used the same system on my car. I've used this thread as a guide to check why my car won't start, but it still won't start.

I have a 2000 Passat built in 11/99, automatic 1.8T
I triple checked my pins got put into the correct holes.
I have my 12V connector wired to the old 121 wire and it gets 12V
I grounded my wire at the ground under the coolant tank and it measures properly as a ground
I get 12V on number 1 on each plug that goes to the coil packs
I get good resistance on 2 and 4 of each plug
My F29 relay tests good and the fuse is good
I have new NGK plugs that were listed here as what to buy, the old ones were burnt to a crisp
I have two new coil packs, the PO said that the other two had recently been replaced.
I have a fully charged battery
I have a new fuel pump and the relay tests good

What happens is that the car turns over and sounds like it wants to start but just doesn't. Before I parked it, the car ran but it was very rough. When I pulled the plugs for the coil packs, the plugs broke apart in my hand, so I figured this was the problem. Is there any advice on something else I can check?

See less See more
#4 ·
As it was running before you worked on the wiring, re-check the wiring.
Pin 1 connects to fuse #29 and to T121/121
Pin 2 connects to E25 (ground on firewall)
Pin 4 connects to E24 (ground on valve cover)
(resistance between pin 2 or 4 and valve cover should be less than 0.5 ohms)

Cylinder 1/pin 3 connects to T121/102
Cylinder 2/pin 3 connects to T121/95
Cylinder 3/pin 3 connects to T121/103
Cylinder 4/pin 3 connects to T121/94

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.