Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

I am Back in a B5

Tags
back
22K views 109 replies 26 participants last post by  benzivr6 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
#11 ·
You hit it dead on the nail hughc , as far as engine mods, Just a exhaust tune and MAYBE a K04 (Because I have one sitting on the shelf) Other than that, It's gonna be rims minor drop and tasteful interior/exterior mods! BTW A 4mo 1.8t Auto might be on the hit list for the wife just in case she wants to get too comfortable with this one, LOL

#12 · (Edited)
#15 ·
Not so much speed as good torque. It just feels nice to step on the pedal without having to downshift. Then again, I have not even chipped my engine yet! With any luck the FMIC, CCT, powergasket, new dipstick, new PCV and trans mounts go in this weekend. Once the CEL is gone from the CCT, I can get it chipped. Then eventually I will fix the exhaust (stock FWD 1.8T downpipe patched to the V6 duals for now).

Reactions: benzivr6
#19 ·
Sorry I don't have any exhaust sound clips of my old v6 wagon but I eliminated the resonator and those tips are from a 90's Cadillac STS, They will also fit if you install a w8 wagon rear bumper or you could just carefully cut it out, The sound was not too loud at all, Very mello deep tone.

#20 · (Edited)
Thanks for the compliment bro, I used a rotary air tool and 3M medium & very fine 2" roloc disc to get out the OEM ruff finish and then I hand sand polished it with 600 grit, 1000 grit 1500 grit (wet & dry sanding) and finally 2500 grit sandpaper, after the last 2500 grit which I wet sanded 2500 grit about 30 mins straight finally got it smooth with a slight mirror finish and then I used Mother's billet aluminum polish for a final finish. I would say a total of about 7-8 hours on work was put into it but at the end it was worth it, It's far from perfect but I settle for the results

#24 · (Edited)
#29 ·
As far as the MK7 S/W goes its a direct swap and fits the splines perfectly but the electric is very different. I got my MK7 S/W & matching Airbag from eBay, Had a friend of mines make a custom wiring harness to fit the old style airbag connector, But you can also purchase a Harness that uses our airbag style with newer VAG steering wheel airbags the part number 6Y0971584A ECS Also sells this harness but it has to be special ordered and might take a few weeks to arrive at your doorstep. Here's link https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/harness/6y0971584a/ My S/W setup is NON Multi function so I didn't need the M/F controls that why I got the Non M/F Steering wheel ( Which is also truly a PITA to find) Now if you have a Passat that uses a M/F S/W and would like to keep those features, Then you would have to purchase a custom harness, in which my friend makes, contact me for his contact info if your interested and Thanks for the kind words

#30 ·
I agree that your wagon is a great car. But, for what comes close, how about the B6 Passat VR6 4mo wagon? I just passed 150K miles on my 2008 and I have a hard time considering anything else for performance, leg room, handling, cargo space. How do you know you have a great car? When every mechanic that works on it offers to buy it when ready to sell.

#32 ·
Looking nice. I would LOVE to find a B5.5 1.8T 4motion 5-speed. I looked and looked and could only find the budget car or all the 4motions had the V6. Great find as from my findings that combo is a low number production car.
TomK
It was not easy to find this combo at all but it just happened to fall into my lap and I couldn't pass it up, I have always wanted these options in a car and it was a no brainer, Just keep searching if you truly want one, They do pop up but you just gotta be patient, Thanks for the kind words bro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.