Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Secondary Air Pump Hose Cracked

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  2004 1.8T BBS 
#1 ·
Hey guys longtime lurker here!

About 2 weeks ago I changed the passenger headlight bulb and had a rough time moving around in that area. I noticed 2 days ago that a loud noise kept going on and off intermittently (which I now think is the secondary air pump). I made an appointment with my mechanic but he won't be able to see me until February 18th. Yesterday, however, I got an emissions workshop CEL and I saw that a hose is actually cracked (probably caused by me) in the area that is circled red in the picture and this morning the cars battery was dead. I'm not very mechanically inclined but I'd like to replace this piece myself first to see if that will take care of it. Is this the right part I need (https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Passat_B5-FWD-1.8T/Engine/Emissions/Vacuum_System/Hose/ES331268/ ?

Also does anyone have any advice in general on this? Would a cracked hose like this mess up my secondary air pump? Thanks!

picture: http://i.imgur.com/wYwHEAP.jpg

#2 ·
IMO if this is where the crack is I wouldn't pay 20.00 for a hose that you could prob pick up for a couple of bucks at any auto store. And yes the cracked hose can throw your CEL. Pretty simple repair. Save yourself some money and see for yourself. Looks like one of the easiest simple fixes. Trust me I know about that! lol

#3 ·
IMO if this is where the crack is I wouldn't pay 20.00 for a hose that you could prob pick up for a couple of bucks at any auto store. And yes the cracked hose can throw your CEL. Pretty simple repair. Save yourself some money and see for yourself. Looks like one of the easiest simple fixes. Trust me I know about that! lol[/TE]

Yes, I repaired that hose with a 90* copper pipe and two pieces of proper size hose to join it all in. Not very elegant but it saved me $40 at the dealer.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies! Well to be honest, I got that picture somewhere on the internet and I felt like my hose looked different. I didn't remember it being a small piece like that, but I did only check it out in the dark last night so I'll have to look again when I get home.

#5 ·
Good idea, it would be best to confirm you are looking at the correct part before trying to order a replacement. I think you may have sourced the wrong part or are describing it incorrectly.
ECS is an expensive place to order OE VW parts, you might as well go to a local dealer. There are other sources that will be 20% or more less expensive than ECS on OE VW parts.

#7 ·
I'm probably late to your post dude, but if I were you I'd take the front bumper off, take out the bracket for the pump, take the pump itself out, and take the end of the hose off that connects to it as well as the upper part of the hose on the airbox.

Can't remember the hose I used, but I went to Lowe's and got some thick plastic flexible tube that for over that air hose and then o went to AutoZone for hose clamps. Total cost was about $15 including gas and a 40oz, and total time was about 2 hours from start to finish because I kept changing my Spotify playlist around haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.