Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

here's one for you OCD guys (like me)

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  jjpark 
#1 ·
if you want to skip some reading, got to where it says point of story, lol!

my flex pipes (V6) were rotted out causing unneeded vibration and noise. the drivers side was 100% gone and the passenger was about 80%. nice and noisy. got to love parking in a gravel drive and having too high of speed bumps at the grocery store huh? anyhow the pipes were starting to fail when i got the car, so i didnt know what vibrations were noise related, and what were "something wrong" related. blah blah blah, months, long story, got the flex pipes replaced this past weekend.

POINT OF THE STORY: i get an engine related vibration at exactly 1600 rpm. 1500 and lower its smooth, 1700 to 7000 its smooth. its an ATQ block, standard transmission, 222,444 miles, lived on 89 octane (i know, i know) its whole life, oil change 1500 miles ago with 5W40 synthetic and a MANN filter.

it does it in gear, out of gear, in all gears, with and without the clutch pushed in. so its very engine specific. i dont believe its detrimental due to the fact there is no noise or anything that comes along with it. the repair shop says it may be the harmonic balancer, but they arnt willing to diagnose further without being paid for the job, i understand where they are coming from there. any suggestions fellas?

See less See more
#3 ·
Like scotts13 mentioned

Check your engine and transmission mounts along with what they call the 'snub' mount (located front/ center near the bottom) of your engine.

When these fail you will get all sorts of vibration. Some say that if there's a purpleish color oozing from your trans/motor mounts it's telling you their bad. I totally agree but mine appeared to have gone out way before I got it so there was nothing oozing from mine but they were really bad.

#6 ·
financially i cant do them until summer. got a baby due in march. but the flex pipes have a 1 year warranty, so ill have them check it out come then. ill replace all the mounts in one shot. how many mounts would the transmission have? i actually have all the mounts in my FPC cart, just waiting on finances to settle down.

#12 ·
Excessive vibration, excessive engine movement when shifting into drive or reverse (on automatic) visually inspect the rubber on the transmission mounts. Oil oozing from the motor mounts. The drivers side on mine went bad. I started seeing oil on the ground. After getting under and looking I saw the oil was coming from the MM. It wasn't purplish in color like others have mentioned. Looked like oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.