Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Coolant leak, water pump?

27K views 43 replies 8 participants last post by  DoseThemAll 
#1 ·
2003 1.8T GLS AWM Auto FWD, 89K

I found a coolant loss some day last week with only half of the coolant in the reservoir. Topped it off and runs good for a few days. Today, found a puddle of coolant on the ground, about 1/4 quart I guess. Drove a few miles and parked and put a big plastic box underneath. Immediately there were two drops then stopped. Checked it about one hour later, my god, it keeps dripping from the front. Jacked up the car and got underneath. The dripping is from what I believe is the crankshaft pulley in front of the oil pan. Also signs of dried coolant at the bottom of the oil pan and even the tranny oil pan. Is it the water pump leaking? The car has the original timing belt and water pump I believe.

Looks like a TB and WP job is ahead of me but I like to confirm it is the WP. Do I have to put the car in service mode (move the front bumper) in order to open the TB cover to verify? Any info will be appreciated.

Could it be the thermostat? I know the chance is low but still hoping...

Thanks...

#32 ·
Just talked to a customer support @ECS and he confirmed that the seal I bought from the dealer is a Teflon one (TPFE or PTFE), 038 103 085C. I searched the internet and found bunch of cases of leaking from day one on those seals. I think I am going to order an "old style" one 026-103-085-D from ECS and redo the job. Thanks guys.

#34 ·
All teflon seals I have seen come with the insertion "tool" which is a cone to help you getting the seal on the shaft correctly. Some people think the "tool" needs to be pulled out and discarded before using the seal. This is IMO the number one cause of PTFE seals installation fails.

#35 ·
Thanks Tom and gigi for the replies. I am going to go with a old style one. But out of my curiosity, I see the lip on the new seal is tilted inward (pointing to the head when installing). Its diameter is smaller than the shaft so I could not get it installed with the lip pointing in. Finally I just oiled and pushed it on, so it ended up the lip pointing out. Is that part of the problem? Now I know that my installation was totally wrong. The dealer didn't mention anything about the special of the seal and it didn't come with any tool.

One more question. When I found the coolant leaking the first thing I checked is the coolant flange which I replaced last year. I didn't find any coolant leaking there by with some oil on my hand when I touch that area. Apparently some oil leak near the coolant flange. Is that the cam tensioner seal (the half moon seal)? I didn't replaced it when I replaced the valve cover gasket last year. Now I am also seeing oil on the spark plug thread.

So when I get the parts I am thinking to open the VC and replace the half moon seal and also check the VCG.

Do I need to put on some sealant or RTV on the camshaft seal when I install it? I didn't do that on my Toyota but saw some people did on youtube.

Thanks

#36 ·
Finally I just oiled and pushed it on, so it ended up the lip pointing out. Is that part of the problem? Now I know that my installation was totally wrong. The dealer didn't mention anything about the special of the seal and it didn't come with any tool.
If it's the teflon seal, it comes with the plastic cone. Then, the inner diameter should be smaller, so it seals on the shaft. You just need to be careful when installing it with the lip INSIDE. So many wrong things, like you said.

#39 ·
Update -

Got the viton seal from ECS and installed it yesterday. Did a few mile test drive and no oil on the ground this morning. Below picture was the PTFE seal I took off yesterday. You can see part of the seal lip toward inward and the rest part toward outward. It was a terrible installation for sure, lesson learned.

Fashion accessory Jewellery Metal

Before I removed the timing belt I noticed it was a little loose. The gap between the tensioner piston and the idler plate was far less than 8mm. Actually it was almost 10mm when I installed the belt last time. So I paid more attention when I install it this time. I found that the gap keep changing a little when I turn the crankshaft. Did I do anything wrong?

Thanks.

#42 ·
I am planning to replace all PCVs and clean those hoses. I am studying all related posts here and try to decide the right part # for PCVs. I found that the detailed write-ups are for AEB engines but I have 2003 Passt 1.8T AWM.

gigi, if you look at the seal carefully then you can find the seal lip was kind of folded so part of it pointing inward while the rest pointing outward. I believe it leaked badly at the place it folds.

#44 ·
I drive a 03 AWM which is missing the skid plate. Once upon a time I had a mysterious radiator fluid leak, I would only notice it when I looked up at my car from underneath, to see whitish/pinkish caking on the bottom. I thought it was my flange for a while until I had to do my timing belt + water pump. Looking at the engine from the front end after disassembly, before cleaning, it was obvious that my issues was coming from the seal of the water pump, which in turn led to the pump failing (took a +1 year).

I dont know for sure but I feel it was making my belt wear quicker. If so, I was fortunate the pump went before the belt because the belt looked like it was about to go (car had >80k at the time)

Just my .02

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.