Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

transmission sync? starts from second gear

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ylwagon 
#1 ·
Hi passaters

So I have D1234R on screen highlighted.

What happened before is my alternator died and car stopped me on highway, I felt transmission was not switching. So I towed car, charged battery to see what's wrong. There is no any codes showing. Seems everything is fine. I dont know why engine scanner doesnot show code for dead alternator?

The scanner is not bad it is actron cp9575 which is advanced one. Checks transmission too

So I dont have codes and gears switch and accelerate. Reverse wOrks fine. Only thing is car starts from second gear.

What can be problem?

Thanks

#3 ·
I'm not familiar with that model scan tool. What does it say when you use it to scan the transmission computer?

Being locked into one gear and the D1234R display being highlighted means the transmission is in limp mode.

If you think the trans computer is confused by the power problem, you can try resetting it. Disconnect the battery and hold the two ends of the battery cables together for a minute. That's called a capacitive discharge and it's supposed to drain power from all the modules. Then hook the battery back up and all the modules should boot back up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.