A6 vs Passat GLX

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1st Gear

A6 vs Passat GLX

How much difference is there, really?

I know the A4 is the 'B5' car, but it is smaller than the Passat. So, who wants that?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

SuperCooled30V Moderator keithwbloom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A6 vs Passat GLX

That the A4 has a B5 chassis and the Passat has a B5 chassis is about sheer the similarities end. The B5 Passat has more in common with C5 A6 than the B5 A4.

The B8 A4 is roughly the same size as a B5.5 Passat, but considerably more expensive. Newer generation Passats are much larger than the B5/5.5.

The B5 A/S4s are desired because they are smaller and lighter by many interested in performance or AWD track day cars.

C5 A6 performance really only comes in with 2.7T or the 4.2, and of course the RS6. But they are heavier than B5/5.5, so without turbo 6 or V8, they are not as fun to drive as a tuned/modded Passat. And 6MT was only available in a limited number of C5 2.7Ts with sports package. Crazy hard to find in good condition for sale. I think owners don't want to part with them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
    B7 S4 Cabriolet 6MT, 8P A3 Tip, B5.5 SC/IC V6 5MT

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwbloom View Post
    That the A4 has a B5 chassis and the Passat has a B5 chassis is about sheer the similarities end. The B5 Passat has more in common with C5 A6 than the B5 A4.

The B8 A4 is roughly the same size as a B5.5 Passat, but considerably more expensive. Newer generation Passats are much larger than the B5/5.5.

The B5 A/S4s are desired because they are smaller and lighter by many interested in performance or AWD track day cars.

That's what I was thinking...that the A6 is the slight step up, not the A4.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Melchior View Post
    I know the A4 is the 'B5' car, but it is smaller than the Passat. So, who wants that?
    I do. Passats are nice vehicles, especially the wagons, but not equal to the B5 series A4, in my opinion.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ylwagon View Post
    I do. Passats are nice vehicles, especially the wagons, but not equal to the B5 series A4, in my opinion.

In what way? So far as I know, mechanically they are basically identical. Under my GLX V6 hood I see Audi parts.

4th Gear
    Mechanically, yes. However the styling of the B5 A4, first shown about 20 years ago, was so superb that the proportions are still being copied today. This was the car that pulled Audi out of the doldrums of the eighties and early nineties. The instrumentation is more complete, with oil temp gauge, analog clock, and voltmeter. But rear legroom is less, so if you carry passengers often, the Passat is more comfortable.

I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
    Another important similarity in the B5 Passat and the B5 A4--engine choice, at least in the US. Basically they both had either the 1.8T or the 2.8 V6 (I realize the TDI was offered in late B5.5 Passats here, but that's beside the point).

The C5 A6 offered the V8 and 2.7T in addition to the 2.8.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ylwagon View Post
    Mechanically, yes. However the styling of the B5 A4, first shown about 20 years ago, was so superb that the proportions are still being copied today. This was the car that pulled Audi out of the doldrums of the eighties and early nineties. The instrumentation is more complete, with oil temp gauge, analog clock, and voltmeter. But rear legroom is less, so if you carry passengers often, the Passat is more comfortable.
    That's my understanding. But wouldn't an A6 make more sense, since the B5 Passat is already small, especially compared to the contemporary Passat? The B5 Audi A4 looks almost like a Jetta! I used to drive a Jetta, and the somewhat larger B5 Passat is perfect for me (I'm 5' 3"). I do want an Audi TT Mk I though....

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by zak99B5 View Post
    Another important similarity in the B5 Passat and the B5 A4--engine choice, at least in the US. Basically they both had either the 1.8T or the 2.8 V6 (I realize the TDI was offered in late B5.5 Passats here, but that's beside the point).

The C5 A6 offered the V8 and 2.7T in addition to the 2.8.
    Yeah, I would love to own a C5 A6 with the 4.2L V8, or even an A8L of the same era, with the 4.2L V8.

PZ
    Redline
    The C5 A6 is larger on the outside, but on the inside there is really not much of a difference. The S6 with the 4.2L is pretty sweet, I have a customer with one who has had me drive it looking for vibrations and ride issues (riding on bumpstops and 19" wheels). It can be a blast with all of that power, but it feels like such a large car when driving, it's not as much fun as the Passat can be. The MPG is pretty bad, he is lucky if he sees 18-20mpg on the highway.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
    The C5 A6 is larger on the outside, but on the inside there is really not much of a difference. The S6 with the 4.2L is pretty sweet, I have a customer with one who has had me drive it looking for vibrations and ride issues (riding on bumpstops and 19" wheels). It can be a blast with all of that power, but it feels like such a large car when driving, it's not as much fun as the Passat can be. The MPG is pretty bad, he is lucky if he sees 18-20mpg on the highway.
    What are "bumpstops and 19" wheels"?

Also, what is the difference between the 3.0 liter 30-valve engine and the 2.8 liter version?
    Last edited by Melchior; 06-12-2014 at 07:21 PM.

19" wheels are rims that measure 19 inches. They leave very little sidewall height in the tires for absorbing any bumps, so they lead to a harsh ride.

Bumpstops are what keep the shocks from bottoming out and act as a supplemental spring near the end of suspension travel. They are designed to be engaged as an active part of the suspension only during extreme situations. But if you lower your car radically, you will lose all free travel and be 'riding on the bumpstops.' The ride will be jarring, and the road holding will suffer.

1st Gear
    19" wheels are rims that measure 19 inches. They leave very little sidewall height in the tires for absorbing any bumps, so they lead to a harsh ride.

Bumpstops are what keep the shocks from bottoming out and act as a supplemental spring near the end of suspension travel. They are designed to be engaged as an active part of the suspension only during extreme situations. But if you lower your car radically, you will lose all free travel and be 'riding on the bumpstops.' The ride will be jarring, and the road holding will suffer.
    What do you mean "lower your car radically"? What are you talking about?

1st Gear
    I own both an A4 and a passat and can honestly say I enjoy driving my passat more due to the fact that is more spacious and a more comfortable ride. My A4 is lowered though. My passat has more comfortable seats. They feel much better than the pleather ones in my A4. I do feel more secure in my Audi since it is AWD. The seats of an A6 and passat are interchangeable. Also the strut bar from an A6 can be cut down an inch and used in a passat. I recently managed to get a strut bar and a big brake setup from a 2.7t A6 in the junkyard that I'll be putting in my passat. Only wish that the interior was black cause I need asset of front seats for my wagon..

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwbloom View Post

C5 A6 performance really only comes in with 2.7T or the 4.2, and of course the RS6. But they are heavier than B5/5.5, so without turbo 6 or V8, they are not as fun to drive as a tuned/modded Passat. And 6MT was only available in a limited number of C5 2.7Ts with sports package. Crazy hard to find in good condition for sale. I think owners don't want to part with them.

actually a majority of C5's are 2.8, the same 2.8 that is in the passat.
    i have both a B5 passat and a C5 A6, and also a B6 A4.
    both the B5 passat and C5 A6 are ATQ 2.8. and to me a B5 passat is in between a b5 a4 and c5 a6.

4th Gear
    if it matters at all, i prefer my B5 passat over the B5 a4. the C5 A6 is a little bit nicer. but a C5 with the 4.2L is just SEX. its the widebody version with much wider fenders and huge door blades and a very reliable V8 engine. the transmissions suck though, but a 6spd swap would make that car bulletproof. so if you want the perfect C5, buy a 4.2 with a bad transmission, pull a 6spd from the junkyard or a parts car, and build yourself a bad ass beast. then add C5 RS6 bumpers and side skirts and you're set

Quote Originally Posted by 3 bar View Post
    I own both an A4 and a passat and can honestly say I enjoy driving my passat more due to the fact that is more spacious and a more comfortable ride. My A4 is lowered though. My passat has more comfortable seats. They feel much better than the pleather ones in my A4.
    I also have a B5 problem--2 Passat wagons and an A4 Avant TQM, all three are AEB motors. I pulled the crappy, flat pleather seats out of the A4 and put in Audi Sport cloth seats--well worth it.

I like driving the A4 better because of the quattro. That plus it's chipped, and it has the factory sport package. The Passats are the better choice for a long cruise or a lot of people though because of the roominess.

1st Gear
    I also have a B5 problem--2 Passat wagons and an A4 Avant TQM, all three are AEB motors. I pulled the crappy, flat pleather seats out of the A4 and put in Audi Sport cloth seats--well worth it.

I like driving the A4 better because of the quattro. That plus it's chipped, and it has the factory sport package. The Passats are the better choice for a long cruise or a lot of people though because of the roominess.
    What is "chipped"?

Modified ECU programming--remaps boost, fuelling, and timing. The car went from 150 hp to 200 hp. Very noticeable gain.

Chipped = performance tuned engine computer.

d'oh, too late
    Glutton for Punishment: 13 CC Sport Plus, 04 Passat 1.8T GLS Variant, 99 C-Red Passat 1.8T (crushed)

1st Gear
    Modified ECU programming--remaps boost, fuelling, and timing. The car went from 150 hp to 200 hp. Very noticeable gain.
    I suppose mileage drops though, right? I have a V6 2.8L 5 speed manual trans. I am very happy with the 'Audatt' as I call it.

Not unless you keep your foot down. You won't see gains like that in a 2.8 V6. Mostly less than 10hp. the remap in the 1.8T/2.7T (turbo motors) ups the boost and fuelling to create more power.
    Glutton for Punishment: 13 CC Sport Plus, 04 Passat 1.8T GLS Variant, 99 C-Red Passat 1.8T (crushed)

4th Gear
    i'll just leave these here..

1st Gear
    Nice cars!

But to get back to my original point, isn't the A6 (C5) the logical choice for someone who might want a little bit "better" car than a B5 Passat?

1st Gear
    Which car are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by -BEE5- View Post
    i'll just leave these here..

Nice, but C6??

Which car are you talking about?
    The one with the AEB

The A4.

1st Gear
    The one with the AEB

The A4.
    What do you mean? Which car, and what set-up are you talking about? What is "AEB"?

4th Gear
    Nice, but C6??
    Nope those are all C5.
    I have a C5 just sitting in my garage. Haven't driven it in months

4th Gear
    Nice cars!

But to get back to my original point, isn't the A6 (C5) the logical choice for someone who might want a little bit "better" car than a B5 Passat?
    Yes. It would make a nice upgrade but If I could do It again I would get the 4.2L C5 and do 6spd swap

33. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information