• 1 Post By ijcq350
  • 1 Post By sirwired
  • 1 Post By sirwired
  • 1 Post By DerhsLacidar
  • 1 Post By TheColoradoRed

Thread: 2014 nys inspection sticker

Neutral

2014 nys inspection sticker

Need help getting inspection sticker in bushwick brooklyn area. New york state now wont pass you if the anti-lock brake light is on as of november 2013. I plan on getting the module rebuilt by the summer also refreshing front suspension but until i can get a inspection sticker my dub stays parked. She has been sleeping in the garage since 1st of the year need to get her on the street to move around to and from the shop for repairs any help on this would be greatly appreciated
    Email me at blackroach1999@yahoo.com
    thanks guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    wow i didn't know about that in NY im from NJ and i had the same problem with the ABS but i fixed it before inspection so idk if that rule applies here as well, i went to a junk yard and tried my luck with an ABS, swapped it with mine and boom! blinking brake light went bye bye and now i can communicate with the module, im still going to get my ABS rebuilt but it can wait..

Neutral
    Nys used to have a loop hole where if it failed, you could get an affidavit from your mechanic saying you spent $500 trying to fix the problem and you would get a pass. I'm not sure if that still exists but would be worth looking into
    xLSxGaia likes this.

4th Gear
    To be frank, given how cheap it is to have the module rebuilt, if you can't afford that for several months, you probably need a different car. There are going to be a lot of things that are going to break on a 15-year-old VW that cost more than $160.

But as far as getting to the shop goes; don't know about NY, but in NC, that would ordinarily be a "fix-it" ticket, where the fine goes away if you can show the reason you got the ticket (missing inspection sticker) has been resolved.
    2kpassat1.8t likes this.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ijcq350 View Post
    Nys used to have a loop hole where if it failed, you could get an affidavit from your mechanic saying you spent $500 trying to fix the problem and you would get a pass. I'm not sure if that still exists but would be worth looking into
    I think that applies to emissions problems, not safety problems. (i.e. Failed brakes is failed brakes... it doesn't matter how much it costs to fix; you aren't getting a safety sticker 'til they work.)
    2kpassat1.8t likes this.

Neutral

Sirwired

Ok sirwired no need for the sarcasm here I can have this car flat bedded to VW and have the ABS fixed any day of the week without any strain on my budget. Also this car Is my play toy I also own a 2011 tiguan and a 2010 rang rover sport these are my daily driven vehicles the Passat is 80% restored and will be completed by end of July.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4th Gear
    Just this month I got my 1999 passat inspected in NY with a solid ABS light on. The module is good; I am certain it's a wheel sensor as the light is always out when I start the car but pops on after driving a few feet.

I need to get it scanned. Guy who did the inspection tried but his scanner doesn't communicate with VWs' brakes (he warned me when I dropped it off that he probably couldn't scan the brakes).

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackroach1999 View Post
    Ok sirwired no need for the sarcasm here I can have this car flat bedded to VW and have the ABS fixed any day of the week without any strain on my budget. Also this car Is my play toy I also own a 2011 tiguan and a 2010 rang rover sport these are my daily driven vehicles the Passat is 80% restored and will be completed by end of July.
    I detect no sarcasm in sirwired's post. If you know how to fix the problem, and can do so at will, why don't you? Simply getting a sticker put on without an actual inspection would be illegal. Surely you're not asking for advice on breaking the law? - that would be against forum rules. Tow it or take the chance of a ticket. Better still, send the module out while the car sits and re-install yourself. It's not hard.

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by ijcq350 View Post
    We have the same in Pennsylvania, and it indeed applies only to emissions problems.

4th Gear
    I agree with scotts13, and I didn't observe any sarcasm in sirwired's posts.
    With your over inflated ego, why haven't you had the car painted after replacing the hail damaged panels with black ones, before posting pics of it.

4th Gear
    It costs $160 if you have the Bosch 5.3 abs module or $300 if you have the Bosch 5.7 abs module... Don't get why you're trying to acquire an inspection sticker off the books for such a small repair cost. You state that money is no issue because you own two other cars... Big whoop.

Why do I get the suspicion that you just want the sticker and won't get the module repaired? It's not as if you need to get a catalytic converter replaced that will cost you $1500..
    Rbyrdman1 likes this.

Wants to be TheFlipperGray
    Any chance the other 20% of said restoration includes coils and a much different set of wheels?

Just wondering, cause otherwise it seems like the current direction involves stick on chrome air vents and lambo doors.

Overdrive
    C'mon, Red, be nice. We haven't seen what the Tiguan and "Rang" Rover look like yet.

Wants to be TheFlipperGray
    I don't appreciate the sarcasm Scott.
    Tomvw likes this.

Overdrive
    (grin)

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackroach1999 View Post
    Need help getting inspection sticker in bushwick brooklyn area. New york state now wont pass you if the anti-lock brake light is on as of november 2013. I plan on getting the module rebuilt by the summer also refreshing front suspension but until i can get a inspection sticker my dub stays parked. She has been sleeping in the garage since 1st of the year need to get her on the street to move around to and from the shop for repairs any help on this would be greatly appreciated
    Email me at blackroach1999@yahoo.com
    thanks guys
    I know a place on cooper hit me up..

4th Gear
    Just got my other Passat inspected in NY with an ABS and blinking brake light on, two weeks ago. Reason my light is on is right front sensor. Mechanically the brakes are fine. That's all they inspect in NYSI.

Neutral

Quote Originally Posted by Rbyrdman1 View Post
    I know a place on cooper hit me up..
    wow i should have check back earlier but I went ahead and got the brakes done my only problem now is front end work still needed for inspection.
    give me a call when you can name is mike 646137742 and thanks for the follow-up

20. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information