Inner CV Joint Flange Bolt Type and Size
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Inner CV Joint Flange Bolt Type and Size

Audi cross poster here. I have a 2000 A4 Quattro with manual transmission, 2.8 liter V6 ATQ engine. The outer front CV boot is torn and needs to be replaced. My Haynes manual says the inner CV joint flange bolts are either M8 or M10. It doesn't specify what type of bolt they are. When I run an awl around the inside of the bolts they appear to be 12 point triple square based on the many clicks I hear. I can insert a Torx T40 drive into the bolt and then insert the T40 into a 6 mm combination wrench. So it seems like I have 6 mm triple square bolts, but I'm not positive. Has anyone else run across 6 mm bolts in this location? Were they triple square?

I only have a 12 mm triple square drive and I'm not sure I want to collect the whole set.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Depends on the gearbox looks like from the parts catalog. Also it appears all the tripod style use M10 x 20 bolts.
    This is just going on the parts catalog. I also listed a chart that may help.
    Usually Autozone has a set of triple square bits in the OEM brand of tools that is pretty reasonable. Regardless always clean out the bolt and tap the triple square bit to make certain it is seated well.
    Hope this helps a little.

6 893407237
    bolt, with multi-spilne socket head
    M8X48 / manual- gearbox: ADR,APT,ARG, AFY,APU,ARK, AJL,APR,AQD, AMX,APZ,AML, ARJ,APS,ATX, AVV,AWT,ANB

(6) N 90668201
    M10X48 / manual- gearbox: AGB,AZB

7 N 90441102
    M10X20 / manual- gearbox: AFN,AJM,AFB, AKN,AVG; automatic

Here is a direct link to the info below http://www.metalnerd.com/downloads/t...quaretable.pdf

triplesquaretable.jpgtriplesquaretable2.jpg

4th Gear
    The inner CV joint bolts are in fact triple square...don't even think about sticking a Torx bit in there.

As a fit test, use a 6mm allen to check the bolt head for tightness laterally (but don't use torque). If the 6mm allen seems like a close fit, you probably have 8mm triple square bolts. If the 6mm allen is loose, you have 10mm bolts.

Some auto parts stores sell what I'd refer to as "emergency triple square bits" in sets of four (6, 8, 10, and 12mm sizes) for ~$10. These soft metal bits are typically good for one or two uses. I bought the Proto tools triple square bits instead.

Should be a 10mm triple-square. If you order yourself CV joints from Raxles I believe he includes the bit you need provided you return the OEM axles.

6. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information