Door Lock Wiring
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Door Lock Wiring

Hello,

I have a B5 Passat 1.8 with a rather well discussed issue but I am looking for a novel solution!

I have a problem with my two front door locks. When I press the central lock button, all four locks close and then suddenly the two front locks pop up/open again. I imagine that the car has probably a "mechanism" that checks the instruction "Close all locks" against another instruction on perhaps "door fully closed?" or something and decides whether to switch the lock back on or keep it closed.

If I press the door lock button on the key fob, while I am inside the car, all door locks close.

How can I "fool" this mechanism, by bypassing wires etc so that the central lock button closes all door locks with no "objections"???

PS I know that there is a option to change/repair the locks but I am not confident enough to put it all back in place, hence the reason I am looking for a cable bypass solution!

Thank you in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    So, do you want a physical way to trick the door, or a way to way to basically short out or leave open the switches? The front doors have 4 switches each - 2 microswitches that tell register whether a key is turning the lock cylinder to the lock or unlock position, one microswitch to register whether the door is actually locked or not, and one larger switch that interacts with the actual door latch to register if the door is open or shut. It really isn't hard to take apart the mechanism using the instructions you linked to, and this will probably be the easiest way to get everything working correctly again. I don't if there are any wires that lead to either the lock mechanism or the window motor that can be shorted or opened to fool the computer. I believe that the lock control wiring is routed through the window motor harness, but am not entirely positive. You'd have to start digging into a wiring diagram to figure out that bit.

Neutral
    Is you car locked up with speed or by put the shifter in Park? It may be a coding problem. Now, by using inside switch of either left/right door they unlock by themselves? It seems the system performed as designed when using the remote. Inside and outside the car too? So it may be a coding version so the car won't lock. I suggest to find a VAG to check the coding version before you do anything with wires. Is this happend when key is in ignition?

Neutral
    Hello and many thanks to both for your prompt replies!

Matt98B5: You describe the lock mechanism in detail! I imagine that one of those micro-switches has malfunctioned. If the lock is closed it should send either a 0V or a +V signal depending on how it was designed. If its sending a 0V signal then by disconnecting the right cable the car computer will think the switch works fine. If it needs a +V then I need to know the amplitude.

passatro: you say "by put the shifter in Park", I imagine you talk about a car with automatic transmission? Mine uses the traditional stick, as most EU Passats!
    The locks open by themselves only when I press the central locking button ie the close momentarily and they pop open again. Only the key fob lock closes them for good.
    The locks behave like this irrespective if the key is in or out of the ignition.

6. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information