Can you remove the fuel pump from the trunk, 2002 passat 1.8T
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Can you remove the fuel pump from the trunk, 2002 passat 1.8T

My fuel pump has been going out for a yr now...it always shocks if I let it get to hot then fill up with the cold water and won't start for a few minutes....I noticed today while looking under the mat in the trunk that there is a round black pc of metal that is riveted in the trunk and I was wondering if that was the fuel pump access or if you have to actually drop the tank.....I was also told there were two fuel pumps one in the tank and one under the hood...thinking the one in the tank is the bad one but I may need to do further testing...it's a 2002 passat GLS 1.8T......thx for the help in advance!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    It's removed from the trunk after removing the access plate:

DIY In tank fuel pump replacement

There's just one pump.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by wolksvagen View Post
    My fuel pump has been going out for a yr now...it always shocks if I let it get to hot then fill up with the cold water and won't start for a few minutes....
    I really can't make sense of what you are saying here... Do you mean the car won't start after refueling? If so, you are more likely to have a problem with your evap purge valve than with your fuel pump.

4th Gear
    Huh? What shocks? What gets hot? What cold water?

And you only have one pump. Which is indeed in the trunk. Under the hood you have a Fuel Pressure Regulator which brings the pressure down to the precise amount your injectors require.

Neutral
    Well after driving w/o a lot of gas in the tank the pump gets hot...when I fill up the car won't start for about 1-2 mins...once I give it gas while turning the key it does start but won't stay started unless I keep on the pedal...after about another minute or so I believe the pump cools down and it starts working again. Google shocking fuel pump and you'll find lots of stuff on it...my mechanic had told me about it...I wasn't really sure until the 4th or 5th time it happened....it only happens when the car has been running a while....if I start it up and go straight to the station I have no problems or if there is over half a tank I have no problems...the issue is that the gasoline in the ground is much cooler than the gas in my tank. Thx for the links guys...I will investigate the evap purge valve to see if maybe that's a possibility.

the largest cause of fuel pump failure is caused by the tank being run low, espesially in the winter. the pump has been installed inside the gas tank, in part, to try to keep the pump cool. when a car has been driven on a low tank, the pump will tend to get a little warm, then pumping cold gas on top of it, can sort of "shock" the pump.

Read more: What causes a car fuel pump to fail

2nd Gear
    Your description doesn't sound like a failing pump. I'd look at the evap purge valve as well, and while you're at it, if you've never changed your fuel filter - now's a good time to do so.

I would add that yes, driving with a very small amount of fuel in the tank is not good for the pump as the gas does help keep it cool. I rarely let mine get down below a quarter tank just because of this.

2nd Gear
    Also sounds like a CTS issue.

In addition, that "pump shocking" sounds like total BS.
    Last edited by RosevilleWgn; 08-11-2012 at 08:08 PM.

4th Gear
    Your symptoms are often caused by a bad Coolant temp sensor, as RosevilleWgn has stated.

These fuel pumps are cooled by the liquid flowing through them, and at most the gas would be at ambient air temps. These pumps work till they fail, sometimes intermittently, but I've never heard of one being "shocked" back into working by applying cooler fuel. If the pump doesn't work with fuel that is ambient air temp, then it's definitely bad.

Neutral
    OK so where should I start? The reason I believe it's shocking the pump is because it only happens when the car has been running a long time, there isn't much gas in the tank, and like I mentioned earlier it seems like the cold gas on the pump causes it to stop working for just a minute then it's fine. So Coolant Temp Sensor...where's it at and how can I test it? Also the evap purge valve that has been mentioned...plz let me know how to test that if you know...or direct me to the DIY thread...thx!

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by wolksvagen View Post
    So Coolant Temp Sensor...where's it at and how can I test it? Also the evap purge valve that has been mentioned...plz let me know how to test that if you know...or direct me to the DIY thread...thx!
    Please use the search function. There are a TON of CTS replacement threads.

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by RosevilleWgn View Post
    In addition, that "pump shocking" sounds like total BS.
    Agreed, aside from the fact you can ruin the pump by letting the tank run dry. I've read about it happening here more than once.

13. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information