Ways to make exhaust just a little louder
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By NEWMAN'SOWN

Thread: Ways to make exhaust just a little louder

1st Gear

Question Ways to make exhaust just a little louder

Is there anyways to make my exhaust on my 2002 v6 glx fwd just a little bit louder? something that i can just cut or just a tip something cheap, i want it just a little louder just to hear it just a little more? but nothing like a fart can, just a little more PURR.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Sawzall; post-cat

You could look into replacing the stock suitcase resonator or the muffler(s) with aftermarket ones. Borlas always sounds nice.

1st Gear
    Exhaust tips dont change sound, they are purely cosmetic. Like previously stated your best bet is to change the muffler and/or resonator. Now if you want cheap cheap, grab the nearest cutting tool and start hacking away.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by DerhsLacidar View Post
    Sawzall; post-cat

You could look into replacing the stock suitcase resonator or the muffler(s) with aftermarket ones. Borlas always sounds nice.
    Ya i could do that but i dont want to spend much at all i just wanted to know if there are anything i could do to the stock exhaust to make it a little louder.

I'm just itching to be Banned NEWMAN'SOWN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brholwer View Post
    Ya i could do that but i dont want to spend much at all i just wanted to know if there are anything i could do to the stock exhaust to make it a little louder.
    You are asking what you can do to change the exhaust note of the car, but don't want to change the mufflers because it is too time consuming. Do you understand how an exhaust system operates?

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by NEWMAN'SOWN View Post
    You are asking what you can do to change the exhaust note of the car, but don't want to change the mufflers because it is too time consuming. Do you understand how an exhaust system operates?
    yes i want to change the note, and maybe i dont know everything about an exhaust system, and maybe thats why i came to passat world, and maybe thats what people do on passat world is ask questions about things they dont know about.

I'm just itching to be Banned NEWMAN'SOWN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brholwer View Post
    yes i want to change the note, and maybe i dont know everything about an exhaust system, and maybe thats why i came to passat world, and maybe thats what people do on passat world is ask questions about things they dont know about.
    Maybe I have the answer, maybe I don't, maybe replacing the mufflers is required to do that, maybe it isn't, maybe the bearings in your mufflers have seized, maybe they are still moving, maybe my head is spinning, maybe it is stationary, maybe I don't know WTF is going on in this thread, maybe I do...

Moderator Extraordinaire
    Take a chill pill Newman. The answer is already in the thread for him so let it go.
    Original Club B5 member: 08 R32 & missing my 99 B5

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by holywar0902 View Post
    Exhaust tips dont change sound, they are purely cosmetic. Like previously stated your best bet is to change the muffler and/or resonator. Now if you want cheap cheap, grab the nearest cutting tool and start hacking away.
    what is cheaper and more effective a new resonator or a new muffler, and could i just replaced that part and leave the rest of the exhaust system stock?

Moderator Extraordinaire
    Changing the suitcase resonator in the middle of the exhaust is probably most popular. You just need a shop to cut off the old and weld in a new.
    Original Club B5 member: 08 R32 & missing my 99 B5

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Urlik View Post
    Changing the suitcase resonator in the middle of the exhaust is probably most popular. You just need a shop to cut off the old and weld in a new.
    thanks, thats what i have heard on other threads i just did not know what to do for sure, any idea on how much it would cost to get it chopped, and would you keep the suitcase resonator to put back on if i ever wanted to sell it?

1st Gear
    Replace resonator with a straight pipe?

3rd Gear
    You can replace the suitcase with a straight pipe, if you dont plan on adding a muffler in the future. You will get a little more sound but not loud. If you might consider a muffler in the future...replace the resonator with a glasspack. You will get a little more sound and you can still change out your muffler later on without the backfiring.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbea View Post
    You can replace the suitcase with a straight pipe, if you dont plan on adding a muffler in the future. You will get a little more sound but not loud. If you might consider a muffler in the future...replace the resonator with a glasspack. You will get a little more sound and you can still change out your muffler later on without the backfiring.
    is the backfiring/popping bad? because i kinda like that sound sometimes

3rd Gear
    If you run a straight pipe with a muffler you will experience the backfiring at higher rpm. not to mention droning at cruising speeds. Straight pipe and aftermarket muffler is definately not quiet. Yu can get a 18in cherrybomb for $40. Replace your stock suitcase resonator with that and then you will be good if you want to add a muffler to your setup in the future. Ive read and heard that the drone gets unbearable at cruising speeds. Especially if you want a "little louder"havent been on this forum long but I know for sure that the search button would cover this. Ive exhausted it before I ordered my exhaust

1st Gear
    thanks bigbea. So would replacing the resonator with a glass pack cherrybomb with stock exhaust sound good? I bet you didn't mean to, but i thought it was funny how you EXHAUSTED the search button before getting your EXHAUST

2nd Gear
    I don't recommend just replacing the resonator with straight pipe. It sounds so raspy at anything above 4k RPM and sounds almost stock under that.
    I did the straight pipe and then replaced the muffler with a nice Borla and that thing almost sounds like an STi, which is exactly what I was aiming for. Although its really pretty loud and drones, I love the sound personally. It's loud, but in a defined way; not raspy or ricer-ish at all.

I do recommend finding a good exhaust shop first. When I had just my resonator cut out, I thought that was it, but when I went on to change the muffler too, I went to a different shop, which showed me just how horrible the first shop was at what they did. The bends around the resonator looked like the were done by hand, with narrowing in some spots and sharp angles which made me wanna cry

1st Gear
    Oh puns

1st Gear
    Also, get a good muffler, that cheap autozone stuff is gonna make you sound like every honda out there.

1st Gear
    thanks guys i would probably start with just the suitcase delete nothing else right now since i don't have lots of money to spend right now. would it sound good if i got a glasspack to replace the resonator and then a aftermarket muffler. and what do you guys think looks better muffler with two outlets or one? does it make a difference on sound?

2nd Gear
    2 outlets hands down. I don't like the JDM look though...
    This is what I got. Also, if you ever look for mufflers, get the Borla Turbo-XS muffler with single inlet and dual outlet. That seems to be the best sounding one on here. There are many video clips of people with that muffler on the site and it sounds like tits

3rd Gear
    II did mean to say exhausted...haha. i just purchased my exhaust. Went with a 18"cherrybomb and a magnaflow 14816. Has sual 3.5 tips. I like loud and the gurgles but not rhe drone or backfiring. I hope my setup sounds nice. Didnt see much feedback on the 14816web muffler i choose

3rd Gear
    I want that srt4 sound too but I hate the backfiring. I've had tons of hondas with mufflers and didn't mind them but really want that sexy euro tone I'm hoping I get

Neutral
    I am thinking about removing the suitcase Muffler and the Cat with a test Pipe and stage 1 Chip but not sure what Muffler to get. also do i need a cherry bomb to replace the suitcase to keep some of the drone down? I dont want it too loud I do alot of driving. I might go with the Flowmaster 60 Series Delta flow it's made for 4cyl.

It it worh keeping the suitcase Muffler and straight pipe the rest???
    Anybody got this setup?

Post up some good you tube vids

2nd Gear
    I don't think replacing the cat with anything is a good idea. It'll only add rasp, noise, will be illegal and set off a CEL. Keep the cat, but replace the resonator with a cherry bomb if you wanna keep dB levels down, along with a muffler.

3rd Gear
    i have a neuspeed cat back exhaust (2.5) it sounded great nice sound not too loud at all. got a test pipe and that made it very loud and raspy. i love the sound now with out the cat but i do fear being pulled over by chp

3rd Gear
    suitcase muffler is restrictive and should go if your modifying your exhaust system. Glasspack will help with the cruising speed droning, like I stated before. There are a ba-zillion threads on here about drone and straight pipe.

29. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information