Wheel bearing cost for labor??
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Wheel bearing cost for labor??

Hey guys,
    My passenger side wheel bearing needs to be replaced so i'm going to replace both the fronts. I'm looking to pickup the wheel bearing kit for $39 from autohausaz.com.
    How much did it cost you guys to have them installed in your area? Monroe muffler want to charge $381 to have them installed
    Is that price normal for labor?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to charge you 2-3 hours a side for each bearing. 6 hours at $70/hr labor (maybe by you, labor rates are higher around my area) sounds reasonable to me since they can be a PITA especially if they have to fight siezed up suspension bolts.

I only have eyes for Princess Alisa
    Whitehall auto charges $45 to press bearings in take your hub to them that's the cheapest way to do it

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by gpassat03 View Post
    Whitehall auto charges $45 to press bearings in take your hub to them that's the cheapest way to do it
    My man, next time I'm going hit you up first for advice before posting. Thanks E.

I only have eyes for Princess Alisa
    Quote Originally Posted by g2storm View Post
    My man, next time I'm going hit you up first for advice before posting. Thanks E.
    Anytime man give them a call

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...D--tQV3nF_nj_w

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by g2storm View Post
    You know you are going to have to take your spindles off and bring it too them right?

Neutral
    @ Gpassat03 and Resonnatorr
    Is there a DIY write up on removing the spindle and if i'm going to remove the spindle, should i just wait until i do the contol arms and do them at the same time?

1st Gear
    The spindle is the junction of all the control arms. You will want to do it all at once. There are many write ups here about CA replacement. Removing the spindle is just one more step in removing the axle nut and abs sensor. Tie rod has to be disconnected as well, so you might need a new set of outer tie rod ends too.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by stealth View Post
    The spindle is the junction of all the control arms. You will want to do it all at once. There are many write ups here about CA replacement. Removing the spindle is just one more step in removing the axle nut and abs sensor. Tie rod has to be disconnected as well, so you might need a new set of outer tie rod ends too.
    I'm looking to get the control arm set that includes the tie rod ends. I'm going to follow the DIY below to get the control arms done but i'm not sure how to remove the spindle. Is there a DIY on removing the spindle? I looked and was unable to find anything.
    PINCH BOLT REMOVAL made easy - pics
    Upper Control Arm - Tie Rod End R & R w/pics ...

1st Gear
    Might be some confusion on terminology here.
    I was allowing " spindle" to pass uncorrected, but it would be more correct to call this part a knuckle. I think VW calls it "wheel bearing housing". It's the big cast part that all the outboard ends of the CAs connect to, where the pinch bolt resides. Once the CAs are removed, just the TRE, abs sensor, and axle retaining bolt remain. See write ups on axle removal for that.
    You could call the hub a sort of "removable spindle".
    Keep in mind there are 2 diff size bearings depending on year/engine.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by stealth View Post
    Might be some confusion on terminology here.
    I was allowing " spindle" to pass uncorrected, but it would be more correct to call this part a knuckle. I think VW calls it "wheel bearing housing". It's the big cast part that all the outboard ends of the CAs connect to, where the pinch bolt resides. Once the CAs are removed, just the TRE, abs sensor, and axle retaining bolt remain. See write ups on axle removal for that.
    You could call the hub a sort of "removable spindle".
    Keep in mind there are 2 diff size bearings depending on year/engine.
    Would this writeup do the trick?
    DIY: Steering Knuckle Removal/Installation

Neutral
    Blog Entries
    I brought my awd passat to a local specialty shop that said that they would replace the front bearings for $350, parts included. They had my car for a day, called me and said they could not get the hubs off...wanted more $$$. Took it to Pugi vw dealer in downers grove,il, they did it for $770 with a loaner. Replacing the bearings was the BEST investment ever, car now rides like a dream.

3rd Gear
    i had my bearings done a few months ago. took it to a trusted indie shop here in nyc. i provided the parts and my pinch bolts were not an issue, as i have done other suspension work recently. i think the job took about 3 hours and the labor charge was around $250.

2nd Gear
    One quick warning -- if you have a very high mileage Passat, you might find that the ABS sensors have rusted into the spindle. Don't bother taking them off, you can pull out the wire that goes into the upper part of the fender (there is a rubber grommet that it goes through) and you'll find a connector that you can detach. Just take the entire spindle with sensor attached to the machine shop and $25 a side later you can have your new bearings pressed into the hubs. I managed to get one ABS sensor out by completely destroying it, so I didn't remove the sensore on the other side and it worked out fine. The new ABS sensor was more expensive than the wheel bearings, but live and learn...

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by fritznh View Post
    One quick warning -- if you have a very high mileage Passat, you might find that the ABS sensors have rusted into the spindle. Don't bother taking them off, you can pull out the wire that goes into the upper part of the fender (there is a rubber grommet that it goes through) and you'll find a connector that you can detach. Just take the entire spindle with sensor attached to the machine shop and $25 a side later you can have your new bearings pressed into the hubs. I managed to get one ABS sensor out by completely destroying it, so I didn't remove the sensore on the other side and it worked out fine. The new ABS sensor was more expensive than the wheel bearings, but live and learn...
    Great advice thanks a lot because i was going to attempt to remove the ABS sensor before taking it to the shop

17. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information