Low Oil Pressure, oil pump replacement
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    2nd Gear

Low Oil Pressure, oil pump replacement

Finally got my oil pressure gauge working and the results are quite discomforting!

Sacramento-20120427-00707 by ZachM23, on Flickr
    Pic was taken after a some freeway driving so engine was hot. Oil pressure at 2,000RPM is about 35psi which isnt very good either.

So I plan on dropping the pan, replacing pump, and pickup tube. I think I understand what it's going to take to get everything apart, but is there anything other less obvious parts I need to replace while I am in there like one time use bolts etc...

I will probably put together a DIY for this job. Wont be able to do it until mid May however.

So far my shopping list is:

Oil Pump--06A115105B ordered
    Oil Pickup Tube--06B115251
    Oil Pan Gasket Silicone Sealant (80ml Tube)--D176404A2
    Turbo Oil Line Return Gasket--058145757A
    O-ring for oil pick up tube--N0282222

Any advice from people who have done this job on an AWM 1.8T would be appreciated.
    P.S. I still have two weeks of school before I can do this, is it ok to drive?
    Last edited by ZachB5.5; 04-28-2012 at 10:56 PM. Reason: grammer haha

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    Before you get carried away ask yourself WHY the low oil pressure ? Sludge is a likely answer and if you don't cure the cause you're wasting your time . If the car wasn't driven with synthetic oil the problem might be a clogged oil pickup screen . When you drop the pan things may look worse than you thought .

2nd Gear
    Oh I definitely plan on cleaning everything out(Maybe even replace the pickup). That was my plan in the first place, but if I am going to be in there I might as well replace the pump as well.

PZ
    Redline
    No real issues with the AWM. It was pretty similar to the AEB/ATW pans. Just take your time and do it right. Clean everything, tighten the bolts back down slowly and work your way around the pan. Finger tight 1st, 1/2 TQ 2nd, final TQ on the 3rd pass.

2nd Gear
    ^K sounds good.

Oil Pump is on its way from Pure Motorsport down in San Diego for $130 shipped! OEM VW part too!
    Will be ordering everything else soon.
    Really worried I'm going to have bearing damage. Engine isn't incredibly noisy and doesn't burn oil, but I'm going take it real easy till I can get this taken care of.

PZ
    Redline
    I doubt you will have any damage with 10psi at idle. I replaced a toasted pump that fried a turbo, but all of the bearings were in good shape. Oil light had been flickering for a month and finally the turbo seized. It was towed in and had Zero oil pressure.

2nd Gear
    That makes me feel a little better.

I have some Auto RX coming which I plan to do the clean, rinse, and clean cycle after I get the pickup and pump replaced. Unless anyone has a good reason not to do Auto-RX with a new oil pump.
    I think it would be ok since ARX supposedly breaks stuff down slowly and not in big chunks, and therefore wouldn't clog the recently cleaned pickup.

2nd Gear
    Nothing wrong here. The spec is 2 bar or 29 psi minimum at 2k rpm at 80 degrees C or 176 F. The oil was probably hotter than that after driving on the freeway which would make it thinner and a little less pressure reading. Your numbers are in spec and about the same as what I get in my v6 using M1 0w40.

3rd Gear
    I get about 11 psi after driving it for a while, the oil gets MUCH hotter than 80C (176F) after driving, even normally, for about 15-20 minutes. I took it to a shop thinking the same thing, they said my oil pressure was fine.

I stepped up my oil weight to 5w50 and the pressures increased 1-2 psi while hot.

You really need an oil temp reading as well to see how your oil pressure is doing.

Still, not sure if I feel great about 11 psi at idle.

1st Gear

2nd Gear
    Quick update: So I think I kinda jumped the gun because I have reason to believe the oil pressure gauge sender is bad. So things may not be as bad as I once thought.

Never the less, I received the oil pump today as well as some Auto-RX. Major props to Auto-RX, they ship hella fast!

Have a question for you guys about the pick up tube. The pump Pure Motorsport sent me came with a pick up tube, which is awesome, but it looks kinda long...will it work?

20120502_135906 by ZachM23, on Flickr

1st Gear
    That pick up tube does look a bit long.

I would just use the correct sized one for the vehicle.

06B 115 251 I think.

2nd Gear
    ^Yeah that's the pn. It's only ~$25 so I might as well get the right one.

1st Gear
    Yes that tube is too long. I ordered a pump and the correct pickup tube from two different suppliers when I replaced mine. To my surprise the pump came with a new tube also, I didn't notice right away that it was much longer than the old one or the other tube I had ordered. I had the hardest time trying to get the pan back on with that long tube. There is no way to get the pan on with that long of a tube.

2nd Gear
    ZachB5.5, just curious if the new pump fixed your problem.

2nd Gear
    Turns out my oil pressure gauge sender was defective, and giving me bad readings.

Probably still going to replace the pump as I got a killer deal on it and will provide peace of mind in the future.

2nd Gear
    What pressure are you showing with the new sender ?

Neutral
    The pressure at idle isn't bad. I do not know what the spec is for your engine but it's VERY common to see ~10 at idle, engine hot on all kinds of engines.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by arpad View Post
    What pressure are you showing with the new sender ?
    New South is shipping me a new one. Should be here by Friday. Ill update here when I get it all hooked up.

Neutral
    How did you test / determine the old sending unit is faulty?

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    I use one of those "point and shoot" laser thermometers aimed at the hottest part of the oil filter to give me a rough idea of the oil temp. I see readings of 210ºF after getting off the highway.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk618 View Post
    How did you test / determine the old sending unit is faulty?
    I sent it back to New South they tested it and determined it was faulty.

PZ
    Redline
    You should do a mechanical oil pressure test to be certain.

2nd Gear
    Update:

So I got a new sender from NewSouth today(thanks to Steve @ NewSouth) and finally got it hooked up. I also got a mechanical gauge and some braided line (I think thats what its called) to make the sender more accessible.

Thought I'd share the results:

DSC_0207.jpg

Heres what the mechanical gauge read after some aggressive driving:
    DSC_0213.jpg

Note: The only thing I have done so far is Auto-RX. I will replace oil pump and pickup tube when I do the Timing belt most likely in December.
    I should also mention that the oil pressure readings in the first post were the result of a faulty sender. What is seen above on the mechanical gauge 20psi @ hot idle is the true reading.

26. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information