Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

2002 Passat GLX v6 weird grinding noise. Please help

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Hypnotoad 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I got my 2002 Passat GLX V6 a few months ago and I've loved it thus far, apart from already spending $1600 on tuneups/repairs

Two weeks after I got all the done, a new problem arose.
When I accelerate or even turn I get an awful grinding noise. It gets worse & worse every time I drive it and I have no idea what it is.
Heres a video of it.

The noise starts around :26 seconds..
Can someone please tell me whats wrong with my car?
thanks

#2 ·
well the video doesn't really help, thanks for trying, but from experience, if it makes noise when you turn the wheel, it could be related to your power steering pump.

Just curious, you just bought the car and already spent $1600 on it? What kind of repairs did you spend on? I bought mine in September, and spent about a thousand for paint a few hundred for stereo which inluded wiring all the speakers and the new deck, and also i had the shifter along with the neutral safety switch replaced for something like $200. For those reasons, I am not happy with my car.

#4 ·
Yep, sounds like the power steering pump "growling".
USE ONLY THE CORRECT FLUID FROM THE DEALER! Nothing else!
If the guy at the local auto parts store says his generic fluid is OK to use, ask him if he'll sign an agreement saying he will personally pay for repairs if your system fails due to improper fluid type.
Get it topped back up before you burn up the pump by running it too low.

#5 ·
Yep, sounds like the power steering pump "growling".
USE ONLY THE CORRECT FLUID FROM THE DEALER! Nothing else!
If the guy at the local auto parts store says his generic fluid is OK to use, ask him if he'll sign an agreement saying he will personally pay for repairs if your system fails due to improper fluid type.
Get it topped back up before you burn up the pump by running it too low.
^^^ this. and pay attention to what Steve says that I emphasized in bold and italics, or you'll be buying a NEW power steering pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.