Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

I need your help asap! car stalled in middle of road wont start

4K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  tallngangly 
#1 · (Edited)
I was stopped at a red light and then i see my RMPS drop completely to 0 and then the car just sounds like its trying to turn over then it starts for half a second and turns back off :cry:

I ha to get it towed with AAA and the guy said it may be the fuel pump ?
I just got HIDs yesterday but that shouldnt matter since the engine turns over and the battery isnt dead, all electronics work. what could it be? I changed the plugs like 4 days ago and car has been running like a champ but i do get 18 mpg on a 1.8t tiptronic with 128k miles

what could it be?

#13 ·
so how do I check if I got a bad fuel pump and or relay? Weird thing is that I checked the fuses and fuse 28 and actually several fuses are missing... i dont have an owners manual so if someone can give me a chart of how many volts it is for each then yeah it would help a ton! same with the fuel pump problem

#21 ·
You get to it through the trunk/boot. There is a cover plate specifically for accessing the fuel pump.

I took a guess at your year, so you should do a better search, make sure the year and engine are correctly selected. Then any of the pumps shown should work, choose a brand you are comfortable with, like Bosch.

This post has been deleted
#25 ·
: damn I'm too smart for this, I should start charging you guys on this forum
then you might want to think about never coming back. If half the people on this forum were assholes and charged for advice, we'd be millionaires

#31 ·
Before buying a new fuel pump, I would suggest making sure it isn't working first.

1) When you turn the key to the "on" position (just before start), do you hear the pump run for a second or so? If not, then it is not running - go to step 2. If you hear it, it is running - go to step 4.

2) Check for voltage at the fuel pump terminals. No voltage would indicate a fuse or relay issue. About 12V means the problem is not electrical.

3) If you didn't get voltage in step 2, check and/or swap the fuse, then the relay.

4) if you heard noise in step 1, try disconnecting the fuel supply line to the filter. Then (works better with 2 people), turn the key "on" or start and see if fuel starts shooting out (into a suitable container, of course). No fuel = dead pump. The only caveat here is that you cant determine if you are getting "some" fuel but not "enough".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.