Low oil pressure warning light problems.
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Post Low oil pressure warning light problems.

Hello all, I have a 02 passat awm and am having problems like everyone else. The wife was driving the car(she drives like a granny) and the warning light came on a half mile from home,she came in and told me a oil pressure warning light came on so I went out to check the oil and it was a half quart low so I topped it off and it was fine. The next morning she pulled out the driveway and the light came on again so she turned around and parked the car and took my coupe to work. The next day I took the car to my parents house and replaced the oil pump, cleaned the pickup tube and changed oil and filter. I use castrol 5w40 synthetic oil and mann w940/25 filters. I also replaced the pcv valve and oil pressure sender and cleaned the pcv system, which was not bad at all. There was not sludge and hardly any coking when the pump and pickup tube were cleaned and replaced. There is no noises coming from the engine other then the noise of the injectors opening and closing. Right nowthe oil pressure at startup is above 70, when the engine warms up at idle pressure is 28 to 30 and at 2000 rpm it is 64. Stumped, my light comes on when im sitting and revved avove 4000 rpm but won't come on while ilde. Does and know where the oil pressure switch wire goes to so I can chech its continuity, I'm thinking it's the wire. I'm hoping. Oh, the engine has 113,000 and have never had problems, other then a couple of coils. Please help. Thanks for reading.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    Your car's oil pressure is ok so the pressure sender is the likely problem . It's on top of the oil filter housing and is a simple replacement .

3rd Gear
    No help with the other issues, but the low oil warning will only come on if the rpm is above 2000.

Neutral
    The oil pressure switch was replaced, you must have missed that in my post. The warning light comes on above 2000 rpm. Does anyone know the pin location of the oil pressure switch wire. I think the wire might have a short. It can't have low oil pressure if a new pump and pickup were installed. And I have good pressure. I refuse to drive the car until the problem is solved..

Neutral
    Oil pressure switch (F1) has a white w. gray tracer wire that goes to the black 10 pin connector in the ECM box (pin #3). From there, it goes to the Instrument Cluster (same color wire) to the 32 pin blue connector, pin 10. Check the voltage drop rather than continuity. I've been burned a few times with continuity checks. If everything passes, its probably the Instrument Cluster. Always use OEM senders/sensors/switches. Aftermarkets are garbage and will cause you to misdiagnose the problem. Let us know what you find.
    Note: Im basing this off the wiring diagram I have for my 2001 Passat with the AWM. Should be the same...

Neutral
    Thank you very much ppap. Thats exactly what I was looling for. I always use german parts, I have a good friend that is an outside saleman for napa autoparts and they have a Altrom line exclusive for german cars, and all the parts are made by the oe manufactures so I get everything for his cost. Probaly won't be til the beginning of the week til I can get to it but i'll let you know the outcome. Cross your fingers for me and thanks again...

8. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information