Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Replacing vacuum hoses on 1.8T

36K views 38 replies 16 participants last post by  dav1129 
#1 ·
I found DIYs for replacing vacuum hoses on V6 but couldn't find one for 1.8T.

• Is there any DIY for 1.8T?

• And from where can I buy the colorful silicone vacuum hoses?

TIA as always.

#2 ·
There are 4 hoses on a b5.5 one from the dv to n249 valve and than one from the n249 valve to the intake manifold. Than there is one from underneath the intake manifold to the egr valve and for the life of me I can't remember the 4th but there is a few good DIY in the b6 and b6 a4 sections

Ps the n249 valve is underneath the intake manifold also.

This post has been deleted
#5 ·
#8 ·
6" for the fpr.
1.5' for the combi
8" for the intake to n249
3' for the dv to n249

lengths approximate

plan on 7-8ft

#10 ·
Least likely to go bad, but yes. Usually the check valve or t fitting under the Mani breaks before that line goes bad. 6" more then. I thought I tried to cover it with saying any 3.5mm hose.

#11 ·
Yes I did break and replace the T fitting under the mani. And that little 6" hose had a hole in it because overtime it had collapsed and it was touching the coolant pipe that was underneath it. Temporarily I am using a regular vac hose there.

I found a 10' blue silicone hose at eBay. There is no other place online where blue hoses are available (incl. Amazon)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-5m...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item56443e3dcd

Do you think this would work?

#12 ·
never saw a disclaimer like that before. "not comatible with fuel or oil"

You know what has worked beautifully the last 7 years and 120K for me? The stock upgraded hoses used from 2003+. Not one speck of deterioration.

#15 ·
Eh, I'd still get the stock ones. Call Impex. They might hook you up. I get parts from them all the time. Honestly, never bought silicone so I never saw a disclaimer.

#18 ·
I bought 3.5 x 2mm silicone hose (in a nice blue, no less) from ECS Tuning for my 01.5 AWM. The only downside is they sell precut lengths of 1, 3, or 15 feet, so you end up with some extra.

A question: my N249 to DV hose is quite a bit bigger than the other three that always fail, so I haven't replaced it yet. I'm afraid to take it off if its as hard as the others...

Does anyone know the size for the N249 to DV hose? Or is my 01.5 just special?

#19 ·
I received my 10' hose from eBay.

It is a bit scuffed from outside and not as smooth as shown in the pictures. It's as if it was stored badly and hence got scratches on the outside and lost it's gloss.

1) Is that normal?

2) Fresco, did you get yours from ECS?

3) If so, what is the quality? Is it smooth on the outside?

#23 ·
mikefl,
Yes, I got my hose from ECS, 3.5 x 2 mm. I got blue, but black is the same price. Volkswagen Passat B5 FWD 1.8T > General Purpose > Hose > Vacuum Hose > ES#250201 Blue Silicon Vacuum Hose (3.5x2) 3 Foot - 51731257971BLU-3
It is nice and smooth on the outside, came sealed in a plastic bag. The downside is that ECS only sells precut 1, 3, & 15 foot lengths.

I bought two 3 foot lengths, which was plenty to do the three hoses. As mentioned above, my N249-to-DV hose is a larger outside diameter than the rest, so I haven't replaced it yet. It still feels flexible, but I'm afraid to disconnect it to measure! The other three hoses cracked like plaster when squeezed.

#24 ·
THANKS for the info Fresco.

Mine was a single 10' piece stuffed in a small box, no plastic wrapping on it, etc. Has lots of scuff marks and no gloss.

So I will have to return it.

There is no point in getting the shiny blue hose for aesthetics if it is scuffed and looks old before its installed.

Did you install it already? It would be GREAT if you would post some pics of how they look once installed.

#34 ·
Replaced all the hoses today including the one from N249 to DV. I used the 3.5mm hose for that as well and it worked perfectly.

The original hose was pretty beat up. At both ends it had the metal VW clamp that's a PITA to remove. I used a flat screwdriver to push it out of the N249 and DV.

The old hose was zip-tied in two locations and it was time consuming cutting those zip ties.

After putting in the new hoses, I zip-tied all ends.

Here are some pics of the N249 to DV, the rest are in Fresco's DIY.

Pic of the DV connection from under the car(on the left is the SAIP):

N249 connection:

Slightly higher view of the same:

Another one:

The beat up stock hose:

Finished Bay:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.