How to bleed air out of cooling system?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

How to bleed air out of cooling system?

How do I do this specifically on a 02 Passat 1.8T?

I have seen several threads, but I need a step by step.

Car is overheating at high speeds last week, but now needle slowly moves past 190 after apprx. 6 miles of driving. Replacing water pump, tb, tensioner tomorrow.

How do I bleed to system though?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    If you look at the firewall area on the passenger side there's a corrugated plastic cover over the lines going to/from the heater . Move that and you'll see a bleeder there . Best to do it when the system has been driven so there's some pressure but let things cool down so you don't get sprayed with hot coolant . Just bleed till you get solid flow of coolant .

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by arpad View Post
    If you look at the firewall area on the passenger side there's a corrugated plastic cover over the lines going to/from the heater . Move that and you'll see a bleeder there . Best to do it when the system has been driven so there's some pressure but let things cool down so you don't get sprayed with hot coolant . Just bleed till you get solid flow of coolant .
    How do i bleed the system once i find it?

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by arpad View Post
    I'd suggest that you should remove the three screws holding the coolant tank, disconnect the coolant level sensor connector, then lift the tank as high as the hoses allow, and have the filler cap off. This avoids trying to rely on a hot, pressurized system to force the air out. Unclamp the hose with the hole punched in it, pull the hose forward until you get the hole past the end of the tube. I also idle the engine while purging the air, and rev the engine just above idle speed a few times until you get a continuous stream of coolant from that vent hole. Push the hose back into place and reclamp.

Don't forget to change the thermostat while doing the other maintenance.

6. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information