Trunk won't open automatically from inside car or remote
+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Trunk won't open automatically from inside car or remote

Hey everybody, my dad's 05 passat tdi has had this issue for a while and we are getting tired of ignoring it so time to fix it.

We had new keys/remotes made for our car, which work perfectly, but you cannot open the trunk via remote.

If you are inside the car, and press the trunk open button on the driver side door, the trunk wont open also.

The only way to get into the trunk is to manually go upto it and put the key in and open it from there.

Any suggestions on what this could be caused by and how we can fix this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    Sounds like the actuator. Does the mechanism make any noise (in the trunk) when you either push the release inside the car, or by remote?

AJ

3rd Gear
    have you had any water ingress issues with the ccm? i'm having this same problem but it didn't happen until my ccm got flooded and i had to replace it. i'm thinking that either the wiring is shot or the old ccm blew/shorted either the switch or the accuator at the trunk.

others have found the fix by using a volt meter at various points between the switch, ccm and trunk accuator to pinpoint where the failure is. when i get some time, this is how i will probably start to tackle the issue.

2nd Gear
    Are you sure the trunk key lock on inside of drivers door is not set. If this is locked I dont think the trunk will open electronically.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by mcseforsale View Post
    Sounds like the actuator. Does the mechanism make any noise (in the trunk) when you either push the release inside the car, or by remote?

AJ
    From what I remember, when you press the button you don't hear anything from the trunk, or any sound of it working.

Quote Originally Posted by koidragon1980 View Post
    have you had any water ingress issues with the ccm? i'm having this same problem but it didn't happen until my ccm got flooded and i had to replace it. i'm thinking that either the wiring is shot or the old ccm blew/shorted either the switch or the accuator at the trunk.

others have found the fix by using a volt meter at various points between the switch, ccm and trunk accuator to pinpoint where the failure is. when i get some time, this is how i will probably start to tackle the issue.
    We haven't had any water in the car, that shouldn't be the issue in our case

Quote Originally Posted by ytqm View Post
    Are you sure the trunk key lock on inside of drivers door is not set. If this is locked I dont think the trunk will open electronically.
    That isn't the problem, wish it was as it is a quick fix haha but no it's not locked.

Neutral
    same problem, let me know...im annoyed as hell about this too. Nothing works, have 2 remotes, clickin the button doesnt work. Having to shut off the car, and manu. have to get out, and stick the key in, and lift up the hatch gets really annoying quick makes 2 of us sir!

Neutral
    Well today I came over to my parents and the trunk works. My dad said that the trunk will open from the inside, sometimes...but 90% of the time it doesn't work.
    Could it be the actuator or the actual electronic in-car door switch?

When the trunk won't open by pressing the switch inside the car, you don't hear anything from the trunk trying to work. Could that be the actuator then?

Neutral
    Well here is a update.

My dad had a spare b5.5 trunk sitting around with the whole mechanism, so I went off and switched over the lock and switched over the actuator piece. Now let me first state, I completely forgot we have a brand new key sitting around that we had, as we did have only one key for a period of time. After swapping out the piece, I test it. Still same thing. Nothing opens with the key fob. From the inside of the car, it opens fine but it could be just a day where it works. Who knows.

I grab the brand new VW key we have for our passat, try it and VOILA... the trunk opens. I then hook up the old actuator and the trunk opens again.

Now I'm glad I did replace it anyways, even though the issue now seems to be with the key, just because the trunk should operate just fine by opening it up from inside.

I believe our situation was a bit more complicated, as the key fob is acting up and the actuator was also working from time to time.

I did try to program the old key with the VW process, which it does program the open/close buttons but the trunk feature wont work on the old key fob.

Issue resolved...for now!

Neutral
    I just got a 2003 Passat and I cannot open the trunk using the remote or the button on the door. The only way I can open the trunk is by using the key. Can anybody please help me to what the problem might be with? I don't really know much about cars, so please provide with a step- by- step way to fix it.

Neutral
    We have a similar issue . #14 fuse seems like a clue. Every time we use either electronic means of opening the trunk the #14 blows - after opening the trunk lid. But it gets expensive replacing that fuse every time we open the trunk. I will replace the actuator on the trunk ($66 from VW Dealer) and see what we see.

12. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information