Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MariosV_DUB
  • 1 Post By Mister T

Thread: What Auto trans are in 99 & 00 B5

Neutral

What Auto trans are in 99 & 00 B5

Hello all

Have 00 1.8T ATW w/ Auto/Tip EFP trans.

I am going to b doing a Auto tranny swap in the near future and was wondering what Auto/Tip trans were available in 99 for the B5?

Im waiting on someone to get back to me w/ the trans code that he has stamped on his trans and was wondering if it was different would i be able to use it

Along w/ that if it is a different trans that was compatible would i have to use the TCM that comes w/ his unit or would my TCM from my car that might b different work?

Here is some info i found googling and was wondering how accurate this is

There are a whole bunch of identifiers for the manual transmissions, but the automatic (Tiptronic) tranny has the same identifier code for all B5 Passats, whether sedan/wagon, FWD/4-Motion: 01V (Zero, One, V)

Transmission stampings include the 3 character type code followed by a 5-digit number that represents the build date.
    The code information for automatics is stamped into a plate attached to the bottom of the transmission near the engine/transmission joint. A second plate is also attached to the side of the transmission, but it is usually not visible with the transmission installed in the vehicle.

Within the automatic 01V, there were production run changes that resulted in several sub-codes (e.g. DRD, DDT, EZZ, EFP, EKC) that impact the specification of the valve body and torque converter for example. All the gear ratios are the same across models.
    The 1.8T only shipped with the DDT manufactured from 4/97 or the EFP made from 8/99. They have different hydraulic controls (E17 vs. E18/2).

The info above sounds like it would answer my questions, but since it wasn't from PW i thought i would check the credibility of the info w/ the forum.

Thank you for looking

Mario

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral

Have some new info but still searching

After searching on the same site i got the above info, here are some trans codes designators for: Manual, Auto FWD and 4Motion.

Bentley's entire list of codes for B5 passats is

5-speed stick:
    DHW
    DHY
    DVX
    EHV
    EZG

5-speed auto FWD:
    DRD
    DDT (EDT?) early 1.8Ts
    EZZ
    EFP "late" 1.8Ts August 1999+
    EKC

5-speed auto AWD:
    CJR
    DRN
    DST
    ECB
    EKD
    FAR
    FAS
    EMQ
    FVE
    GAK added by reference from another site; there may be more

So, the bottom line, since there are only two 1.8t FWD auto trannies in existence for the B5. Is the transsmission i have "Late Model" (EFP) and the tranny i want from a guy on PW who has an "Early Model" (DDT). ?Are they completely interchangeable All the way down to the connector plugs? Help me get back out rollin on all four fellas

Thank you for your time
    Mario

Neutral
    Bumpty bump bump

2nd Gear
    Do a google search for VW ZF tiptronic transmissions - that's what your car has and there is lots of information available .

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by arpad View Post
    Do a google search for VW ZF tiptronic transmissions - that's what your car has and there is lots of information available .

oh trust me i have and still am. From what im coming up with no one really uses anything other than what is already existent in their rides. Auto Trans speaking. a redonkulous price is available to me for the DDT trans w/ TCM and i need it. nor can i afford a EFP trans from what i have seen.

The only thing remote to what i have found was on RichmondVdUBs and it was 6years ago, a guy was in a similiar situation as i am. he ended up backing out and getting what his car came with (DDT Trans). From the way things are looking i might be on to something here that could help many in the future if this works out. So hopefully some one has done this and will chime in.

Mario

P.S.
    i wish i could change the title to this post :-(

To: Can a DDT trans be used to replace a EFP auto trans

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    The break between the early/late trans style may have something to do with the engine management system changes made about that same time. That's about the same time they advanced from the Motronic ME5 to the ME7 drive by wire system.

This is just wild guessing but it may give you ideas on how to research further.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve in Chicago View Post
    The break between the early/late trans style may have something to do with the engine management system changes made about that same time. That's about the same time they advanced from the Motronic ME5 to the ME7 drive by wire system.

This is just wild guessing but it may give you ideas on how to research further.

I am i little lost on what you are suggesting. Could you break it down barney style for me

Here is a pic of my TCM (EFP) for show and tell

Here is a pic of the other TCM (DDT) its fuzzy but it says mad in 18 03 99 on the top right

Everything on the TCM is the same expect for the last to letters, which probably has something to do w/ the model trans. pre/post years of make

DDT was probably 99-97, while EFP is 00-present

Mario
    rreyes likes this.

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    They switched to a more advanced engine management system. The newer system has more input to work with and more control over how things are done. The engine module and the auto trans module communicate with each other in order to make some of these decisions. My guess is that they may have upgraded the TCM logic along with the new engine management logic.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve in Chicago View Post
    They switched to a more advanced engine management system. The newer system has more input to work with and more control over how things are done. The engine module and the auto trans module communicate with each other in order to make some of these decisions. My guess is that they may have upgraded the TCM logic along with the new engine management logic.

ohhh ok.... man that might be bad. Would be great if the trans swapped w/o issue and i just used my existing TCM...

4th Gear
    You may be able to get away with swapping the valve bodies from the DDT to the EFP. I would be willing to wager that the trans internals are the same. When I was rebuilding the valve bodies on my parent's Boxster (also a 5HP-19FL) I remember Steve Jaffe (ZF North America service manager) saying that the bulk of the changes from car to car were in the valve bodies and TCU. This actually makes a lot of sense since the valve bodies and TCU's are the cheapest to change. Changing the internals of the transmission itself is way to costly.

Finally, if you're looking for info on the 5HP-19FL I made a thread consolidating all the info I could find on it. Just use the google search with my username and 5HP-19FL and it should come up.

(wow 4000th post, time flies when you're having fun)

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister T View Post
    You may be able to get away with swapping the valve bodies from the DDT to the EFP. I would be willing to wager that the trans internals are the same. When I was rebuilding the valve bodies on my parent's Boxster (also a 5HP-19FL) I remember Steve Jaffe (ZF North America service manager) saying that the bulk of the changes from car to car were in the valve bodies and TCU. This actually makes a lot of sense since the valve bodies and TCU's are the cheapest to change. Changing the internals of the transmission itself is way to costly.

Finally, if you're looking for info on the 5HP-19FL I made a thread consolidating all the info I could find on it. Just use the google search with my username and 5HP-19FL and it should come up.

(wow 4000th post, time flies when you're having fun)

Im going to get to searching through your post MisterT, thanks for the info. But what if i don't bother with the valve bodies? what if i don't bother to swap them out? From your experience, would the DDT trans w/ the DDT TCM function drive properly w/o issues once installed?

Thank you and Congrats on your 4000th post.

Mario

Neutral
    I'm the poster of some of the information you found on the 'net from 2005. I believe all my info was taken straight from Bentley...I'm no transmission guru.
    Unfortunately, I cannot tell you if you can swap in the DDT in place of the EFP without any issues. All I know is that the purpose of the subcodes for the 01V tiptronic transmission is to distinguish between differences in valve bodies, torque converter, and hydraulic control. Apparently, in 2005, I read that the DDT and EFP have different hydraulic controls (E17 vs. E18/2).
    Considering the information in this thread, I would GUESS that you'll need to swap the TCM along with the transmission. Sorry I can't give more info about interchangeability among various o1V transmissions.

This guy in California sells the valve bodies for $535...maybe he will share some info on interchangeability? http://www.autoshoppingcenter.com/tr...esbody/vw.html
    Last edited by 2000Biker; 05-31-2011 at 10:41 AM. Reason: additional info

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by MariosV_DUB View Post
    Im going to get to searching through your post MisterT, thanks for the info. But what if i don't bother with the valve bodies? what if i don't bother to swap them out? From your experience, would the DDT trans w/ the DDT TCM function drive properly w/o issues once installed?

Thank you and Congrats on your 4000th post.

Mario
    I don't imagine that you could only swap the TCU. Given what 2000Biker posted, I would imagine that at a minimum the hydraulic controls would be linked to the valve body. That said, I don't know that there are any real hydraulic controls in the main body of the transmission. The pieces in the main body of the transmission consist largely of clutch packs and other hard pieces that apply the hydraulic pressures. However I don't know that those same hard pieces actually dictate how the pressure is applied.
    rreyes likes this.

15. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information