Multiple misfire insanity (2005 1.8T) requires exorcism!
+ Reply to Thread
    xxxxxSandvik

Multiple misfire insanity (2005 1.8T) requires exorcism!

About 3 weeks ago my 2005 1.8t started intermittently misfiring. Which can be induced by coming to stops (more frequently when pointed downhill than uphill). I pulled the codes and it read multiple misfires on 1 and 2. Always when idling never at acceleration. Nor is there any power loss during acceleration. If idling and it starts misfiring I can rev it up to 3000 and it usually clears and runs smoothly. I have tried many things, all having no effect.

First: I replaced the coils with new ones and installed new spark plugs (NGK-correctly gapped). Also added new air filter, and ran Techron in last 2 tanks of 91 octane.
    Second: replaced Mass Air Flow with a new one -- still no change
    Third: smoke test on vacuum, no leaks. Went ahead and replaced check valve and purge pump
    Fourth: replaced O2 sensors and coolant temp. sensor -- still no change (oddly they were white but I'm having lots of black soot at the tailpipe)
    Fifth: compression test on 1 & 2 (revealed 180)

Any suggestions!?!? This is driving me nuts

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    well, could just for kicks make sure the timing marks on the crank pulley and the cam gear line up nice and proper.

Neutral
    could be the mystery that happened to mine. was the crankcase breather box on side of engine. had it done by my mechanics brother who is a audi tech at a dealer for about 300. dealer will rape u tho. try this, pinch off the lower hose attached to hte throttle body. stand at ur drivers fender and look to the left of the coolant tank and you'll see two hoses going into the body attached to the intake mani. pinch off that lower hose and lemme know if it smooths out.

it was not my "pcv" valve is was the box itself that the valve had stuck shut. i also have a 05 1.8t awm. try that and let me know wat happens

xxxxxSandvik
    ... ok, since it usually does it at stop lights and stop signs and not very much when parked, I managed to jump out, pop the hood, and pinch the lower hose. Whoa! This is the first time I have been able to do something and create a change other than revving it to 3000 rpm! I'm going to drive it a few more times and just make sure it wasn't coincidence, since it does smooth out on its own at times. Also, it didn't immediately smooth out when I pinched the hose it took about 10 sec. Sound right?

xxxxxSandvik
    Where is the "crankcase breather box"? You're not talking about the crankcase vent valve are you?

Neutral
    Ok guys: This sounds like what I'm experiencing with my car (read my latest thread in the garage aria) please explain exactly what was done, what is the crankcase breather box and where is it located (any pictures?) if this works I won’t have to sell my wife after all…maybe I’ll give her to you.

8. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information