Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Passenger mirror glass flew off

16K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  void4114 
#1 ·
So, I'm driving down the freeway and I hear a rattle sound. I look over just to see my passenger side mirror glass fly off the car. The housing and everything is still there.

Under it appears to be a second mirror piece? It has the label "Objects are closer..." yet the second mirror is not reflective.

I'm assuming the previous owner glued this mirror on? Or is that a OEM way of doing things?

Anyways, I need to replace the mirrored glass on my passenger side of the car. Any sources?

Thanks guys

#2 ·
I had a similiar issue with the driver side mirror, i took the car to a place where i got the tint for my moms car, and they told me that somehow the glue or whatever they use to stick the mirror got dry and cracked. They cleaned the old glue and used some kind of silicone glue and the mirror has been there for almost 2 years with no problems whatsover. I hope this helps.

#4 ·
I'm not sure what year your car is, but we do have replacement mirror glass available that can be found here on the website:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen...&utm_content=postreply&utm_campaign=postreply

It may be a good time to upgrade to the split mirrors that offer a slightly wider viewing angle.

The mirror glass is attached to a base with adhesive, that adhesive should never go bad, however if it does, it would likely let the glass portion of the mirror fall off.

#6 ·
My apologies for the delay in response, I've been out of the office with some medical issues.

The VIN split falls right in 2004, so I would need your VIN to confirm. If you are still in need of a replacement, please feel free to send over a PM with your VIN and I can confirm with the parts guys.

#7 ·
Jon, Is there a pass. side (right) stubby split mirror for my 99? I got the left side years ago and love it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.