Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Another Door Lock Problem

7K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  synvolk 
#1 ·
200 Passat V5. I've searched the forum. I've also read the taligent article. My problem is the passenger and drivers door wont unlock. You can hear the mechanism but when you try to open the door, it stays locked. Manually using the key wont open the door. I found a way of opening the door by knocking on the door just above the door handle. I dont know how long this method will last. Can someone tell what the problem is? Is it the locking mechanism?

#5 ·
Have you recently had those doors apart for some reason? If so, make sure the short little cable that runs from the outside door handle to the latch mechanism is adjusted properly. If it's too tight, the latch mechanism won't unlatch properly.
Yes, the drivers window regulator was replaced around 4 yrs ago, Why is it that the passenger door is also doing it?

#4 ·
Your cable may be adjusted too tight. First unlock the doors. Then try pushing on the outside door handle. Push it towards the door. Push it hard, but not hard enough to break anything. Then pull the handle normally and hopefully it will open. What you're trying to do is push the outside handle enough to create a bit of slack in the over-tight cable. Once the cable has a bit of slack, the latch mechanism will action properly. If this trick works and the door opens, grab your tools and re-adjust that release cable. Trying to do any work on the door when it's stuck shut is near imposable.

#10 ·
OK... My driver's door is also stuck in the lock position...
I just replaced the door carrier and when I got the carrier bolted up, I closed the door, and the mechanism sounds like it is unlocking, but it will not come open...
I did pull the lock cylinder to replace a little piece that was broke inside as I do have spare parts car...

I think from reading this thread that I got the little cable too tight...
I have a spare mechanism with a short cable...
My question is...
Do you think that if I cut that little cable to take tension off the lock, will I be able to get it unlocked...
I did say the door is closed, didn't I...:rolleyes:

#11 ·
I'm having an issue with my rear passenger door that is somewhat similar to this but not quite.

When I unlock the doors (doesn't matter if using a key or using master switch on driver door) the rear passenger door locks itself really fast. So I usually have to play with my friends and tell them to watch the lock and time it when opening. I'm not too sure where to begin, should I try the things mentioned in this thread?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.