Passat 1.8T B5 - ebay control arm kit?

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

Passat 1.8T B5 - ebay control arm kit?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by 4ePikanini View Post
    Are they any good?
    Maybe. But none of the components in the kit has a brand name, and eBay vendors are famous for shipping whatever comes to hand that week.

Since the kit is selling for about 1/3 of what you'd expect a quality setup to, my guess would be "no".

1st Gear
    what are the risks?

reduced bush life?
    breakage?
    excessive play, even when new?
    ride comfort?
    out of spec, ie. doesn't line up with the rest of the suspension?

EDIT - I see they brand them as CXracing on the ebay listing - http://www.cxracing.com/

Doesn't look too bad.

I understand that they are cheaper and that you pay for quality (and name) but what sort of pros and cons are there with going cheaper? If it's just a bit of ride comfort and the extra risk of breaking when hitting a huge pothole then all things considered I might go fro them or hold out for heavier duty. In the meantime I'm chewing tyres. :eek:

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Overdrive
    I'm an all-OEM guy myself, so I don't have personal experience on this. The complaints I've heard about off-brand replacements basically center around very short service life (months), followed by the typical worn control arm issues - noise, poor handling, etc.

Since the control arms are kind of labor intensive to replace, a warranty on the parts doesn't help much - after you put in one or two sets of free replacements, you'll be wishing you'd gotten the more expensive parts. Sort of like muffler-shop "lifetime" brake pads.

1st Gear
    well....... watch this post as I bit the bullet and just ordered them.

I'll post up the DIY in this thread and give extended feedback on issues that might arrive.

Car is currently on 261'000km.

Let the thread begin. hehe

Neutral
    I developed the control arm grind the other day and am looking to purchase the whole kit and get it all out of the way. I was checking this kit out but am also skeptical about the price:quality of them. Should be interesting to see if these are actually good quality

1st Gear
    Mine feels more like a shock bolt being loose.

I jacked up the car and felt for play. Nearly all the ball joints had 1.5mm-2.0mm play in them on the left side. The right side feels tight but I'm changing both sides while I'm at it.

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jtomas24 View Post
    I developed the control arm grind the other day and am looking to purchase the whole kit and get it all out of the way. I was checking this kit out but am also skeptical about the price:quality of them. Should be interesting to see if these are actually good quality
    if it's a grind in steering, as you turn the wheel a horrid noise happens, you're looking at bad outer tie rods. the ball joint can make some pretty horrid noises.

Quote Originally Posted by 4ePikanini View Post
    Mine feels more like a shock bolt being loose.

I jacked up the car and felt for play. Nearly all the ball joints had 1.5mm-2.0mm play in them on the left side. The right side feels tight but I'm changing both sides while I'm at it.
    dude. don't you dare drive that car. that's the territory where the ball joint can hop out on you at any moment. it's THAT severe of an ordeal if your measurement is accurate.

i'm very skeptical over this kit. the price is way too low. these have to be below par quality pieces, and are likely MOOG or some other cheapo replica parts. no guarantee your suspension will sit 100% accurately after this. this is what happens when you cheap out. it may just be "close enough" to be rolled out to the sales floor.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by sipes216 View Post

dude. don't you dare drive that car. that's the territory where the ball joint can hop out on you at any moment. it's THAT severe of an ordeal if your measurement is accurate.

i'm very skeptical over this kit. the price is way too low. these have to be below par quality pieces, and are likely MOOG or some other cheapo replica parts. no guarantee your suspension will sit 100% accurately after this. this is what happens when you cheap out. it may just be "close enough" to be rolled out to the sales floor.

I don't think it's that bad yet. There is definite play but not very bad as the alignment shop didn't even pick it up a month ago when I had the alignment done.

Luckily I don't use it often as I get a lift to work and back in a company vehicle.

The price is cheap but I think it is a promotional advertising thing as their website sells the kit at a much higher price so I don't know what's going on there. I did receive a thank you e-mail from their domain for the purchase so it isn't a company pretending to sell cxracing components.

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant...Category_Code=

Their ebay feedback is good so I'll chance it. It's all I can afford for now anyway so it's that or nothing.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ebaymotors/...ems=200&page=2

1st Gear
    It has entered South African customs by this time and now the wait begins........

Mr. Bieber 1st place WaterFest 17
    You get what you pay for when you take the cheap route... trust me...

tried the ebay kits a few times... they all last little less then a year before some start to go bad... then its just a chain effect.

1st Gear
    it is a parent company cxracing.com selling through ebay ( that's what it looks like anyway - as mentioned I received a confirmation mail from their website domain). I'm not sure why their ebay price is lower than their own website price.

I'm sending them a mail asking them why.

I have found that there are sometimes bargains to be had. My $2.50 oil filter wrench works better than the expensive one I bought at the parts store for 10 times the price.

The mail

and the cxracing product ID

Last edited by 4ePikanini; 07-14-2010 at 06:36 AM. Reason: pics added

1st Gear
    Received some post

some pics - install will come when I have time.

1st Gear
    no write up. just some pics.

i'm very lazy to type and my finger is gashed on the knuckle and fixed with superglue

the lower ball joints were a real pita - i used a bottle jack from the lower control arm to the top strut to get tension on the joint.

anyway, here are the pics. it's now 01:21am here and i'm going to bed.

1st Gear
    the right hand side that I did feels really good. Now to do the left side.

Should be easier than the right side as I went blindly into the right side without manual or printed DIY. I also didn't remove the wheel knuckle assembly so i was using tie ups and supports etc.

I was lucky with the right side TRE as it was tracking straight after swap out

I'll take it in for alignment once done anyway.

I'll give feedback once both sides are done and aligned.

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    be sure you set the arms at the suspension's rest-position. loosen all CA's, unlink sway bar, jack under the ball joint until it comes off the jackstand about a cm, then tighten all CA's in that position. this ensures as long a life as possible.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by sipes216 View Post
    be sure you set the arms at the suspension's rest-position. loosen all CA's, unlink sway bar, jack under the ball joint until it comes off the jackstand about a cm, then tighten all CA's in that position. this ensures as long a life as possible.
    That sounds like a good idea. I'll do it that with the left side and loosen and reset the right side.

Thanks for the tip - it makes sense!

1st Gear
    both sides done.

car feels really good.

will keep updating.

just over 261'000km now.

1st Gear
    done about 1000km so far on them including some dirt roads

still good!

1st Gear
    2000km roadtrip. All still good.

Oil Change

263'000km

1st Gear
    267'000km still good

Neutral
    Hey, how are these control arms feeling now? Cheers!

1st Gear
    Hi

I think I had it for 15'000km on those control arms and then sold the car. They were still feeling tight as ever when I sold it (Even while driving on our silly potholed South African roads)

3rd Gear
    I know how bad the potholes on SA roads are, craters is the correct word for them. NJ potholes are nothing in comparison.

Suggestive marketing has convinced us that cheaper products are of inferior quality and costly products are superior.

This story and my own experience has taught me that if something is cheap it doesn't mean it is of bad quality and expensive items are not necessarily of better quality.

4th Gear
    I have the same CXRacing kit on my A4- came in the same no-name carton that you showed, but the parts looked real good. Only 12,000 miles but so far they feel fine.

Neutral
    Just put this kit on yesterday and it rides great!

29. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information