How to reset alarm when Door lock cylinder is broken???
+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

How to reset alarm when Door lock cylinder is broken???

Dear B5ers, I really need advice here. Anyone know how to reset the alarm if the driver side door lock doesn't work? I have one valet key and one remote. I use remote to lock and unlock the car, and the valet key to start the car. Now the remote stopped working, when the car was locked. I had AAA come over to open the door, but can't reset the alarm, and can't start the car! Because the guy told me the only way to reset the alarm is to turn the key in the lock cylinder. But my lock cylinder hasn't been working for a while! Now I am planning to tow the car to the dealer. But is there any other way to reset the alarm?
    Any advice is highly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    The key should also disable the alarm from the trunk or passenger door if it's got a key cylinder.

Neutral
    Thank you so much, soundguybob! The problem was I only have a valet key which cannot open the trunk. But I am going to have the dealer cut a master key out of my valet key, which cost $94. If this work, it would be much better than they do anything else.

I have one more question. Is there any particular procedure to use the trunk lock cylinder to reset the alarm? Like how many turns, lock vs unlock turning?

Quote Originally Posted by soundguybob View Post
    The key should also disable the alarm from the trunk or passenger door if it's got a key cylinder.

Banned
    There is a little plastic cap on the side of the door near the locking cylinder, you can use a torx T20 or T25 can't remember and loosening it all the way, then pull the outside handle a little and pull the cylinder out. Then you can stick a flat head screw driver in there to trigger the lock trigger.

I don't know why you guys have to pay so much for keys...mine was 60 and that was even a lot. I just got the top half of the key and they cut it for free.

For some reason my door locks don't work at all, any of them... The new master key fits in to the glove box though.

Neutral
    Thanks for all the advice!
    Reset with the trunk lock worked! I have the dealer cut the master key and insert it to trunk lock cylinder, and turned to the left once, opened the trunk. Then the alarm was gone, and I could start the car with either of my keys!
    No diagnosis fee. I guess $94 is the minimum I can do.
    Next I have to try to get a new remote and get it reprogrammed. Not sure if the door lock latch doesn't work, whether I can still reprogrammed the remote with two keys.
    And further then, I probably would try to get a new door lock actuator or something to fix the door lock...

4th Gear
    The alarm is supposed to disarm from any lock if it's unlocked w a key. The alarm will arm from the driver's door and trunk, but it goes into some kind of not fully armed state when locked from the passenger door, for those who have key cylinders there.

8. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information