Details on Class Action Lawsuit for Water Damage

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Neutral

Details on Class Action Lawsuit for Water Damage

Just received information on class action lawsuit against volkswagen.

If you purchased or leased, new or used one of the vehicles listed below, your rights could be affected:

· 2001-2007 Volkswagen New Beetle equipped with sunroof (VIN below 3VW---1C-7M514779)
    · 2001-2007 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan or Wagon equipped with sunroof
    · 2001-2007 Volkswagen Golf, Volkswagen GTI equipped with sunroof
    · 1999-2005 Volkswagen Passat.
    · 1997-2006 Audi A4 B5 and B6 Platforms (including Cabrio, S and RS versions).
    · 1998-2005 Audi A6 C5 Platform (including Allroad, S and RS versions)

Current owners or leasers:
    · 1998-2000 and 2007-2009 Volkswagen New Beetle equipped with sunroof (VIN 3VW---1C-7M514779 or higher)
    · 1997-2000, and 2008-2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan or Wagon equipped with sunroof
    · 1997-2000 Volkswagen Golf/GTI and 2008 - 2009 Volkswagen Golf/GTI equipped with sunroof
    · 1997 and 2006-2009 Volkswagen Passat equipped with sunroof
    · 1998 Volkswagen Passat
    · 2004-2009 Volkswagen Touareg
    · 2005-2008 Audi A4 B7 equipped with sunroof (including S and RS versions)
    · 1997 and 2005-2009 Audi A6 C6 platform equipped with sunroof (including S and RS versions)
    · 1997-2009 Audi A8 (including S versions)

Pursuant to the settlement terms, owners and lessees of the various subclasses of Settlement Class Vehicles may receive different levels of relief.

All Class Members who currently own or lease Settlement Class Vehicle will receive Revised Maintenance Schedules recommending inspection (and cleaning if necessary) of the plenum drain systems, and sunroof drain systems (where applicable) every 40,000 miles or every 2 years, whichever comes first and additional reminders that these areas should be periodically checked for and kept clear of accumulations of foreign matter and debris.

Some Class Members will be eligible to request reimbursement of certain costs and damages sustained as a result of water ingress though the sunroof drain systems and/or plenum drain systems, from an $8 million dollar Reimbursement Fund.

Some Class Members will be eligible to have their sunroof drain systems modified and inspected through an instituted Service Action that adresses water ingress issues.

More details regarding the relief available to you can be found in your Notice and on this website. You may also contact the Settlement Administrator by email: info@wateringresssettlement.com or by calling the toll-free number: 1-877-740-6992.

Go to https://wateringresssettlement.com/ for more info.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    hmmmm....

4th Gear
    I was just gonna put up a thread - Did your CCM drown? You're gonna get $$$! - I figured that would get em flocking in.

I didn't have any problems myself but this is great news for those who did. It even says that you don't need documentation of repair costs! Just sign the affidavit on the reverse. (in the letter you're going to get)

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    This is great news - I have documentation of $3,493.08 in repair costs (what a nightmare!). About 2/3 was covered by my insurance company, I'm going to submit a claim for the rest. Of course, I'm going to end up spending any money I get back on more car repairs..

5th Gear
    My CCM drowned, but I recently started chucking receipts after I sold the B5!

Hope I still have this one somewhere...

2nd Gear
    I actually got the letter in the mail today!

I got the letter today, 6 days after I sold my Passat. Never any damage anyway.

I'm just itching to be Banned NEWMAN'SOWN's Avatar
    I haven't recieved letters for either of my cars. I had the issue on both of them as well.

1st Gear
    I guess i have been kinda lucky. I havent had any water damage as of yet, but I did get the letter in the mail today. I think that I am still going to cut those nipples like everyone has said i should do cause I do not want any clogging problems in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by JaseZilla1416 View Post
    I guess i have been kinda lucky. I havent had any water damage as of yet, but I did get the letter in the mail today. I think that I am still going to cut those nipples like everyone has said i should do cause I do not want any clogging problems in the future!
    The nipples are a separate thing from this issue. the nipples go to the sunroof, this lawsuit covers the plenum in the engine compartment.

1st Gear
    Some Class Members will be eligible to request reimbursement of certain costs and damages sustained as a result of water ingress though the sunroof drain systems and/or plenum drain systems, from an $8 million dollar Reimbursement Fund.
    It covers both actually.

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    I just received the same mailing. Can I put in a claim for the B5.5 battery bay cover I bought and modified to fit my B5? It helps keep the leaves out and redirects some of the rainwater away from the battery bay.

Edit: Just got home and checked the mail. Recieved two individual letters for both cars. Both letters had the same content even though the B5 has a sunroof, whereas the 5.5 does not. will be claiming the damage done to the car, I think that is the first thing VW has reimbursed me for. Never got back to me on the whole Carlsbad VW problem. I have 50/50 hopes as to whether I will recieve any money before I am cashing in my social security chekcs.

3rd Gear
    This is great news! I'm going to take my Passat in to VW Waterloo soon and get them to service my drain system. I'm very pleased about this because I have had the wet carpet problem before but lucky no electrical issues...yet.

rockin the nasty azz exhaust tips yo!!
    got a question about this, has anyone who has some...well, less then dealer-friendly mods taken theirs to the dealer for a recall and run into problems from the dealership? You know, mods like cutting an intake hose in half to relocate the DV, or bypassing the N75 with a MBC or maybe removed the sway bar

Though I don't think it should matter for something like this I would hate to set myself up lol

3rd Gear
    Would this cover leaks from the door seal? That's where a lot of my water came in from.

1st Gear
    Apparently this settlement doesn't include vehicles in Canada. I entered the VIN to my 2000 GLX and it says VIN not found

Neutral
    funny, the lawsuit is against VAG, and Volkwagen America, Audi, and Volkswagen of Mexico. Canada is off the hook from this settlement it seems.

2nd Gear
    i have a question as well.... we received this letter as well. im just confused as to what its for and what it means i can/should do. i cant say we've had any electrical or wet carpet issues so maybe nothing is wrong. the only thing thats kinda odd is ever once in a while we can hear what sounds like water moving around (sounds like its coming from the direction of the dash) when we start moving. mainly notice the sound once we back out of the driveway and star down the road... could this be related? just unclear on the situation at hand....

Overdrive
    I got my letters yesterday, for the '00 and '04. I must say, VW seems much better at getting these out to everyone in a timely manner than other brands I've owned. Unfortunately, it's probably because they've had so much practice.

4th Gear
    I'd doubt enough Canadian owners could mobilize to generate enough support to get VW Canada to listen, either.

Got my letters, for the 05 sedan & 05 wagon. Going to call the stealership to see whats up.

6th Gear
    Got two of these, but thankfully haven't had issues with water (plenum is clean, cars are garaged, nipples have been removed).

Best of luck to those affected! Of the dozen-or-so class action letters I've been qualified for, I've never seen a dime from any of them. This one actually sounds more promising, though.

4th Gear
    Yay, another class action lawsuit against VW/Audi. Maybe once I get my law degree I should just start hanging out at the VW and Audi dealerships in Calgary. I'm sure that there'll be something there to sue them over. Or if I'm really stuck for work I could always go to the Toyota dealerships...

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by godsspeed View Post
    the only thing thats kinda odd is ever once in a while we can hear what sounds like water moving around (sounds like its coming from the direction of the dash) when we start moving. mainly notice the sound once we back out of the driveway and star down the road... could this be related?
    Yes, your do have problems. You have water accumulation under the battery tray which is part of class action on plenum drains. Two drains there are clogged by debris and the water eventually will get into the passenger compartment.

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister T View Post
    Or if I'm really stuck for work I could always go to the Toyota dealerships...
    Bah. My Camry suffered from unintended deceleration (seized due to sludge) and they told me I was one digit off the range of VIN's for the class action. Didn't get a dime.

he just thinks he's amazing. really. no kidding.
    Blog Entries
    We got 'em for all of our VWs, and they all went in the trash.

We have the common sense to clean our drains, whether the manufacturer specified it or not.

6th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmazingDave View Post
    We have the common sense to clean our drains, whether the manufacturer specified it or not.
    The nipple thing, I can understand (hidden from view). But I do find it hard to understand how someone wouldn't notice a clogged plenum drain over a long period of time.

Not saying it wasn't a small design flaw on VW's part, but if we want to call that a design flaw, I've got a laundry list of others for you (including the CCM in the floor). Cars are incredibly complex devices made to operate under very diverse conditions, and we can't expect the mfr to think of ever single thing that might go wrong.

On a related note, did anyone notice the language in the letter only mentions the TCM, not the CCM? That seemed weird. One of the main reasons both of my letters also went into the trash.

he just thinks he's amazing. really. no kidding.
    Blog Entries
    Funny, the drain nipples were the first thing I checked...

Akhristov? Hey, that guy owes me money!
    Quote Originally Posted by godsspeed View Post
    i have a question as well.... we received this letter as well. im just confused as to what its for and what it means i can/should do. i cant say we've had any electrical or wet carpet issues so maybe nothing is wrong. the only thing thats kinda odd is ever once in a while we can hear what sounds like water moving around (sounds like its coming from the direction of the dash) when we start moving. mainly notice the sound once we back out of the driveway and star down the road... could this be related? just unclear on the situation at hand....
    It could also be that your heater core has some air in it... that was the case for me. After I bleeded the air out of it, the noise went away.

33. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information