Where does the hose from the air filter housing go..?
+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Where does the hose from the air filter housing go..?

Again newbie questions here.. I am doing my first DIY. MAF cleaning and removed the air filter housing in the process, without paying attention to where the hose is connected to..

Please see the pic below..

I would appreciate if anybody points out where the open end would connect..? I tried looking in Haynes manual..but no luck..

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Akhristov? Hey, that guy owes me money!
    Is your engine an AEB or ATW? I looked at my AEB, and the air box doesn't seem to have a hose.

3rd Gear
    The broken hose is the intake hose to SAIP pump. This is a very common problem since it is very easy to break at the lower end of the hose when people are trying to take the air filter box out. You will have to take the belly pan down to see the other piece which is attached to the SAIP pump. Mine broke too and I just duck taped it back since the new hose is pretty expensive.

There is another thread today asking the same question:

airfilter is clean after a year

Um, you are supposed to remove that hose and any others from the airbox lid BEFORE you rip it off. rookie mistake I guess.

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    You'll want to repair or replace that hose so the SAIP breathes in only dry/filtered air. Water and dirt shorten the life of the SAIP.

The SAIP only runs for a short while during cold start. It sucks in filtered air from the airbox, draws it down through that hose, through the SAIP, then pumps it out another hose to the Combi Valve at the back of the head. This air then gets injected into the exhaust path where it mixes with unburnt fuel (rich mixture during cold start) and the added oxygen helps to complete combustion of unused hydrocarbons. This "after-burn" effect also helps to get the CAT up to operating temperature faster.

If the SAIP system stops working, you'll get an emissions CEL and a replacement pump is more expensive and more difficult to replace than that hose. If you duct tape it, check the tape seasonally to be sure it's still holding. The metal foil tape used for duct work may hold up better in the long term than the cloth style duct tape.

7. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information