Gas smell.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gas smell.

2nd Gear

Gas smell.

for the last week or so my car will sometimes have a STRONG Gas fume odor in it. It happens 9 times out of 10 that i get in the car.

Nothing is leaking from the car to the pavement.

It also at this time has trouble starting sometimes, and would take a full 3 seconds to turn over instead of a second or less.

i put in the APR 91 chip probably 2 months ago maybe more.

My assumption is that it might be running rich? To much fuel for it to start right away + gas smell with no apparent leak?

Anything i should check first? havent even looked for anything yet

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

6th Gear
    Please list model year and engine type. Does the car run okay once it starts?

6th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Payne View Post
    Please list model year and engine type. Does the car run okay once it starts?
    Never mind. Found it: 1998
    Make
    B5 Passat 1.8T

Question is still the same though. Is it running rough at all?

PZ
    Redline
    Check the fuel lines under the hood behind the airbox. They are the hard plastic lines on the fender/firewall area. Make sure they are not leaking. Search for "My car burned down to the ground" to see what happens if they are leaking.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
    Check the fuel lines under the hood behind the airbox. They are the hard plastic lines on the fender/firewall area. Make sure they are not leaking. Search for "My car burned down to the ground" to see what happens if they are leaking.
    There actually a polymer coated aluminum. If you smell gas be sure check the engine bay and also check by the rear passenger tire. The fuel lines travel down the passenger side of the car.

Fuel line replacement <--- my fuel leak

2nd Gear
    will check those lines out. as for the car, it is running just fine.

2nd Gear
    so...one of the lines is leaking from a clip right above the cata.ytic converter... /sadface. wasnt dripping to the ground because it is burning on the cat.

how can i bleed the fuel pressure so i can fix or change the line?

PZ
    Redline
    If it's leaking, the pressure is bleeding itself. Double check, as there may have been a recall on the fuel leaks.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
    If it's leaking, the pressure is bleeding itself. Double check, as there may have been a recall on the fuel leaks.
    I agree... make sure your not covered by the R5 Recall. Also Be sure to Contact the National Highway Safty Administration this issue is a extream fire hazard that is effecting alot of Passats. Becareful VW refused to fix my fuel line after they convinced me to tow it to the dealer. They claimed since they already visually inspected the car in 2008 the recall was complete.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Let us know what happens. Thanks

2nd Gear
    well i just replaced both lines...i'll be sure to tell them though, thanks for the heads up.

2nd Gear
    as for the covered by recall, i just bought the car last year from a dealer, so I assume they did all the recalls on it but i don't know for sure.

13. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information