Which oil for a TDi?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Which oil for a TDi?

Ok, I've spent the past week researching the internet for a conclusive answer to this question but just when I think I've found the solution I get even more confused!
    I have a 2002 Passat 1.9 TDi. The owners handbook states that only oils which meet VW 505.01 should be used.

First problem; 505.01 oils are very hard to come by in this part of the world (New Zealand), so I would like to find an alternative.

Secondly, my understanding is that the 505.01 rating is actually an old / obsolete rating and therefore has been superseded. If this is the case, which ratings should I be looking out for? I'm not especially interested in having a 30,000km service interval (isn't that a marketing ploy anyway?), but I do want a good quality oil which will protect my engine right through to the 10-15km mark.

Thirdly; my understanding is that the original 505.01 spec oils were synthetic 5W40 grade, whilst a majority of oils I've found on the net which are claimed to meet 505.01 are in fact 5W30. Does this matter?

My apologies if this subject has been thrashed here before

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Forum Sponsor
    I would follow the handbook, only use 505.01 approved oil. The TDI's are usually fairly picky about what oil to use and repairs from using the wrong oil will be much more expensive.

The 505.01 rating is passed to the new 507 which is long drain interval. You can use either 505.01 or the 507.

Your dealer may be one source for it, we also have a selection but the shipping may not let you save anything:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...aign=postreply

Neutral
    You can use any spec. oil nowa days basiclly I use Castrol Edge full syntetic for my TDI. What oil spec to use today important only for 2 stroke engines.

Punches Dubs. True Story
    Blog Entries
    http://www.audiusa.com/etc/medialib/....0023.File.pdf

You want 505 01 or 507 00 spec. The list above is current as of April '09.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by win2k3 View Post
    You can use any spec. oil nowa days basiclly I use Castrol Edge full syntetic for my TDI. What oil spec to use today important only for 2 stroke engines.
    I disagree with you on this, especially if you’re trying to follow the manufacture's maintenance schedule. The best is to use manufacture recommended oils to avoid the warranty and long-term issues. The oil sludge issue on VW's 1.8T is an example. Not many people or VW dealers were following the oil specs when the 1.8T was just available in US and VWoA was also responsible for not given a specific oil specs even though they had these oil specs in Europe at time with VW 502 00/505 00.

If you intend to use any oils, then you may need change oil and filter a lot more often, and may have some ill effects later on, which actually may cost you more. Even if you're using the latest Castrol Edge, you still have to use correct type on your TDI, Castrol Edge 5W-40 (505 01) only, not any other Edge oils.

In Europe they are more conscious on used oil pollution issue and they try to prolong the oil change interval as long as possible, hence the 502 00/505 01 and 504 00/507 00 long-drain interval specs from VW/Audi. They are very specific on which oil you should use for your car and not all oils are the same even with the same name brand, model, and viscosity. Here are some FAQ's on Castrol Edge oil from Castrol UK website:

Q. How do you tell if a VW is fixed or variable servicing?
    A. On the vehicle data carrier plate of the car will be the letters “QG1” or “QG0/2” – the QG1 refers to the engines on variable or “Longlife” servicing and these cars will use the EDGE 5W-30 The letters QG0/2 indicate fixed servicing and these cars will use the EDGE 0W-30.

PD (Pumpe Duese) diesel engines without Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) on fixed servicing will use the EDGE 5W-40 (505.01 specification)

Most recent VW and Audi cars (from 2000 onwards) are on the variable servicing schedule and will require EDGE 5W-30

Q. I notice EDGE 5W-30 – can I use this for Ford engines?
    A. No – Most Ford engines specify a 5W-30 Fuel efficient oil meeting WSS-M2C-913B/C and we recommend the use of Magnatec 5W-30 only. The exceptions are the Galaxy with the VW PD engine, and the latest Ford KA which should have Edge Turbo Diesel 5W-40 (VW 505.01 / FRD 917A specification.) and the latest Focus RS (refer to dealer)

Q. My BMW needs Longlife 04 specification and I see this on EDGE Turbo Diesel 0W-30 – The name says “Turbo Diesel” - can this be used in petrol engines
    A. If you have a requirement for BMW Longlife 04 specification in a petrol engined car, you can happily use any of the EDGE products that meet BMW LL04 - ie EDGE Turbo Diesel 0W-30, EDGE 5W-30, EDGE Sport 0W-40 or EDGE Turbo Diesel 5W-40.

With regard to the EDGE Turbo Diesel 0W-30, you can use this in a petrol engine – as this meets the Longlife 04 specification which covers petrol and diesel engines.

To OP, if your ambient temperature are mostly warmer like in Texas, then I’d find 5W40 oil on the Audi’s 505 01 oil list provided by traubenberg such as Castrol TXT 505 01 available at VW dealers in US. Otherwise 5W-30 should be fine.

1st Gear
    If your owner's handbook says 505.01, it's a pumpe duse engine and the main reason for using a certain oil is because of camshaft wear problems. See this for more details:
    http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_h...Inspection.htm . Most recommend using only a quality synthetic 5w-40 for compression ignition engines on pumpe duse engines. VW 505.01 5w-40 meets that.

Neutral
    Interesting. So how do I know whether my vehicle has a diesel particulate filter or not?

Cheers---

Neutral
    I'm currently favoring this oil...

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/product...viro_plus_5w30

It seems to tick all the right boxes, except perhaps the fact that it is a 5W30 as opposed to 5W40? Perhaps in my environment that is not an issue (ambient temps generally less than 20 deg C this time of year, mid / high 20's max).?

1st Gear
    I doubt your car has a DPF because it's a 2002 and that's pretty early but Euro and rest of world cars were different so not sure.

3rd Gear
    ..the funny part of using the "correct oil" is the premature cam wear because the specification is inadequate, so many use a Heavy duty diesel oil instead and get better wear results.

so... Penrite HPR Diesel 5 could be a good candidate.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Helmet View Post
    ..the funny part of using the "correct oil" is the premature cam wear because the specification is inadequate, so many use a Heavy duty diesel oil instead and get better wear results.

so... Penrite HPR Diesel 5 could be a good candidate.
    Well, actually when I spoke to the Penrite tech his recommendation was the HPR Diesel 5! The main thing that put me off that one a little was the fact that it's not a straight synthetic. Maybe that's not a bad thing?

Neutral
    AMSOIL European 100% Synthetic 5W-40 Motor Oil

Best oil money can buy!

Meets VW oil specs 502.00, 505.00 505.01.

Also maintains viscosity much longer other synthetic oils.

TYPICAL TECHNICAL PROPERTIES
    European Car Formula 100% Synthetic 5W-40 Motor Oil (AFL)
    Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)
    Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)
    Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270)
    Viscosity CCS, cP @ °C (ASTM D-5293)
    5121 (-30)
    Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-92)
    230 (446)
    Fire Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-92)
    246 (474)
    Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-97)
    -42 (-44)
    Noack Volatility, % weight loss (g/100g) (ASTM D-5800)
    Four Ball Wear Test (ASTM D-4172B @ 40 kg, 75°C, 1200 rpm, 1 hr), Scar, mm
    Total Base Number
    HTHS (cP) (ASTM D-4683)

Neutral
    Thanks again for all the advice, guys. Well, after chasing myself around in circles, trying to get sense and commitment out of oil manufacturers as to specification compliance and local availability, and still getting no real satisfaction I decided to bite the bullet and go and buy four liters of genuine VW 5W40 505.01 oil.
    I nearly sh*# myself when the dealer told me the price (worked out to be approx USD$24 per liter bottle!!!!), but at least for the next 10,000km I have piece of mind knowing that, according to VW I have the very best oil available for my engine.
    It's a shame that here in New Zealand we don't get any of the oils recommended on the VW approved oils bulletin (well, I couldn't find any), but I'll continue to do the research for the next change.

3rd Gear
    VW does not sell motor oil with their brand, at least in US. Did you actually get a VW brand of oil or Castrol TXT 505 01?

Neutral
    Yes, it's definitely a VW-branded oil (well, VW / Audi / Seat / Scoda family branded actually). It is called VWG052167M2 5W-40 505.01. I'm surprised that the VW agents in the US don't stock it? What oil do they use when they do a service on a similar TDi?
    Unfortunately, Castrol don't bring any 505.01 rated oils into NZ. We do get the Edge Sport range but not this particular one.

3rd Gear
    Starting year 2000 VW dealers in US have been selling Castrol Syntec 5W-40 which is labeled as VW 502 00/505 00 oil. This oil were only available at VW dealers at that time. The label says "Specially Formulated to Meet Specifications of: VOLKSWAGEN 502 00/505 00"; "Offers full synthetic performance, engineered specifically to meet the Volkswagen engine warranty requirements, including testing in VW TDI engines." I was looking for 5W-40 oil for my new '01.5 Passat and the parts person told me they have this oil from VW to be used for TDI only. But I went ahead to get this oil and have been using it on my Passat since then. Unfortunately my V6 is thirsty of oil and have been using 1 quart of oil per 966 miles since new.

At time lots of 1.8T owners refused to use more expensive VW 502.00 oil and now they are facing the sludge issue.

I heard VW dealers carry Castrol TXT 5W-40 505 01 oil for newer TDI's but the older Castrol Syntec 5W-40 502 00/505 00 is still available at about US$6 per US quart. But we have never seen any VW labeled motor oil like BMW or Honda does in US.

Neutral
    Yikes! I'd be a bit peeved if my brand new (or even old) car used ANY oil, let alone that much!

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    VW does not sell motor oil with their brand, at least in US. Did you actually get a VW brand of oil or Castrol TXT 505 01?
    VW does sell motor oil with their brand on it. VW has sold it in the US with LongLife III (504/507) oil, GVW 052 195 M2.

20. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information