What did you do to your Passat today? - Page 251

1. Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum – General discussion forum for Volkswagen Passat

Welcome to VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum - a website dedicated to all things Volkswagen Passat.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join VW Passat Forums : Volkswagen Passat Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 251 of 251 FirstFirst ... 151201241242243244245246247248249250251
Results 7,501 to 7,529 of 7529
Like Tree1268Likes

Thread: What did you do to your Passat today?

Neutral
    Installed wheel spacers and stubby antenna

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    Scanned the car and reset intermittent codes as the first step in my ABS-light troubleshooting odyssey. Stared at the brake vac pump and wondered about the intermittent code that was throwing. Cleaned the inside glass because I love clean windows, gave it a badly needed wash (since driver son has too many excuses), and waxed the hood to get it ready for the Florida sun again.

1st Gear
    A bit slow at work today, so I did tinker-y things to the Brick.
    Front speakers, upgrade time! Yay!

So, I've had this speaker set that came out of the wife's old car sitting around for, oh, a while. Been meaning to install them since I bought the car (only 1.5 years....)

Alpine SPS-610C (6 3/4" component speaker set), probably as close to a direct bolt-in as you could get. The bass speakers (with Alpine's included universal brackets) bolt directly to a Scoshe SAVW-6 mounting bracket.
    In the interest of audio quality (and water sealing), I sealed the brackets to the window regulators (and the Alpine brackets to the Scosche brackets) with a thin bead of butyl.

Modifications needed:
    You won't use the Alpine high-pass filters for the tweeters (because that function is in the Monsoon amp.) Likewise, you'll need to de-solder and remove the low-pass filters from the woofers.
    The tweeters, once removed from their casings (they just twist apart), require only minor Dremel work to the VW factory speaker mounts (once the original tweeters are popped out) to fit; I then glued them in with a bead of urethane.

Audio quality difference: Very significant. I give it

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear

And, in the interest of not hacking things, the tweeters are still disconnectable. A pair of Junior Power Timer contacts each, crimped to the new speakers, and installed in the original speaker plugs:

As I'm still on a k03 setup and only have two major things to do before I have a nearley maxed out K03. I ordered a CXRacing front mount intercooler to install while I wait for a day with nice weather and when I can get a second set of hands to help to install my high flow cat. The FMIC in my case will be good to do because I tend to drive hard, and during the summer in my area my car tends heat soak like a mother real quick.

What do you guys think when I install the FMIC, should I remove the lower grille cover to show off the intercooler and make people think "Holy shit that station wagon is turbocharged" or would look a little ricey? Or should I go for a stealth setup and keep the lower grille cover? Or as a 3rd option remove every other strip or fin in the lower grille so the grille is still there but makes the intercooler more visible? Let me know what you guys think.

Also one last thing, When I install my high flow cat, I have some DEI titanium exhaust wrap, Should I wrap the downpipe while I'm at it? It won't be much more work to remove the downpipe when the cat is out so it won't be like I'm going out of my way to do it. I also have the piping on the cat wrapped that is after the catalyst just to help reduce the heat in the engine bay as exhaust gases become hotter after they leave the cat.
    mark_proulx likes this.

Neutral
    Mounted new black aluminium license plate holder.
    mark_proulx likes this.

Neutral
    This may be a bit off topic, but for the spirit of this thread I thought this might fit in. Bought a BHW engine with automatic (tiptronic) transmssion from our local pull-a-part, a rare find in our locale, from a 2004 Passat wagon. The vehicle was recently placed in the yard so much of it was still intact when I first laid eyes on it, e.g. no visible damage to the body, fairly clean interior (cloth) and no odors to speak of. I suspected it might be engine/mechanical problems that spelled the end of this wagon; hence, its final resting place in this bone yard. I looked over the engine which had not been touched at first. There is quite a lot of oil build-up and grime on the block, most heavily on the passenger side. I looked at the oil dip stick and the coolant tank; all seemed pretty normal with no burnt oil smell or evidence of oil leak in the cooling system. I pulled the valve cover; no sludge build-up and the cam looked clean, shiny, with no pitting or uneven wear on the cam lobes, to my inexperienced eye. With a socket wrench I was able to turn the crank, thus it did not appear seized. So I was convinced this was an engine worth salvaging and got it home. In a future project, I hope to mate the engine to a manual trans and swap it into my B5 wagon.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by OKCPinoy View Post
    This may be a bit off topic, but for the spirit of this thread I thought this might fit in. Bought a BHW engine with automatic (tiptronic) transmssion from our local pull-a-part, a rare find in our locale, from a 2004 Passat wagon. The vehicle was recently placed in the yard so much of it was still intact when I first laid eyes on it, e.g. no visible damage to the body, fairly clean interior (cloth) and no odors to speak of. I suspected it might be engine/mechanical problems that spelled the end of this wagon; hence, its final resting place in this bone yard. I looked over the engine which had not been touched at first. There is quite a lot of oil build-up and grime on the block, most heavily on the passenger side. I looked at the oil dip stick and the coolant tank; all seemed pretty normal with no burnt oil smell or evidence of oil leak in the cooling system. I pulled the valve cover; no sludge build-up and the cam looked clean, shiny, with no pitting or uneven wear on the cam lobes, to my inexperienced eye. With a socket wrench I was able to turn the crank, thus it did not appear seized. So I was convinced this was an engine worth salvaging and got it home. In a future project, I hope to mate the engine to a manual trans and swap it into my B5 wagon.
    Sounds like a cool project. Help me out here...what is a "BHW" engine? (I'm only familiar with the 1.8T designations, e.g., "AEB").

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by mark_proulx View Post
    Help me out here...what is a "BHW" engine?
    The 2L "Direct Injection" (as are most turbodiesels these days) Turbodiesel engine...which was not available in the US with a manual transmission (Canada, possibly?).

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Electron Man View Post
    The 2L "Direct Injection" (as are most turbodiesels these days) Turbodiesel engine...which was not available in the US with a manual transmission (Canada, possibly?).
    Aha! Thanks!

Neutral
    Hit 350k km's, cleaned out the trunk lock switch, replaced the towing hook connector and bracket, painted the tow hook, plastidipped the summer rims! Busy weekend. Also cleaned and washed the car a bit.
    17333402_1330649903645154_9146819007922307072_n.jpg

ordered H&R sport springs and looking at getting these in the near future in 18"

Work was super slow today so the boss let me use a lift and work on my car. Replaced the pre cat o2 sensor and wait for it... After a year I finally got to install my 034 motorsport Highflow cat!!! The exhaust with no mistake is defenitly louder,deeper, and has some rasp but nothing crazy or ricey, just racey. Peak boost is a little higher but should not be a problem as I'm soon gonna install a fmic. Didn't really watch the boost gauge much so can't confirm wether the spool up is noticibley faster. Also didn't drive it enough to confirm the power gains but I did defenitly notice more power in first gear in the higher rpm's as it takes less effort to break the wheels loose. All in all very happy with the end result.
    EDIT: The exhaust is now also audilbe in the high roms where as before it would quiet down
    Last edited by smac4th; 03-20-2017 at 02:42 PM.

3rd Gear
    Noticed I had a transmission leak (Hoping it's just the pan gasket) or something more simple, Drivers CV boot slinging grease, Still can not find the right size Tie rod boot

Neutral
    Last weekend:
    replaced windshield wipers
    Put new golden liquid in crankcase with MANN filter
    Washed and vacuumed car since it is black/black and clean only lasts 2 days
    Replaced VW roundel on engine beauty shield
    All this gained at least 50 hp, and she looks beautiful
    TomK

1st Gear
    Phase Two of audio system upgrade completed yesterday:
    Installed the rear-view camera. Photos of installed camera to follow. I do have to say: Running the cables out of the gate and into the cabin... A bit of a PITA. Very little extra room in the harness tube.
    For now, the wiring is bundled up in the left D-pillar. Will pull them to the front later. Weather-permitting, I'll do that (and the head unit replacement) this weekend.

Also, arrived yesterday (still to install):
    New rear speakers (same model as I used up front)
    New set of rear parking sensors (to replace the ones damaged during the first installation.)

1st Gear
    Because they were requested at the Vortex.... pictures!

eBay camera. Replaced the license plate lamp. This version came without a light :facepalm:, so I glued a 'little dot' LED from SuperBrightLEDs to it.

Lights on (also note that I installed an LED in the right plate lamp. For balance, yo!)

VAGguy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cuppie View Post
    Because they were requested at the Vortex.... pictures!

eBay camera. Replaced the license plate lamp. This version came without a light :facepalm:, so I glued a 'little dot' LED from SuperBrightLEDs to it.

Lights on (also note that I installed an LED in the right plate lamp. For balance, yo!)

Very nice!
    Glutton for Punishment: 13 CC Sport Plus, 04 Passat 1.8T GLS Variant, 99 C-Red Passat 1.8T (crushed)

2nd Gear
    New battery after not even 2 years. At least it was under warranty. The place managed to break my hood latch....

2nd Gear
    Installed new 6000k HID bulbs

Neutral
    Changed both upper control arms (front left) for the annual inspection, everything else was good. Cleaned and vacuumed a bit.

Neutral
    Swapped the headlights to LED, aimed them lower for no glare to oncoming drivers...now I can see! This is the future of headlights. No doing the interior and rear high stops, then the whole thing!

2nd Gear
    Installed the repaired ABS controller and was rewarded with no more warning lights. Success thanks to cheapabs.com!

For the record, mine failed at about 59K miles.

Quote Originally Posted by mjmorrill View Post
    Swapped the headlights to LED, aimed them lower for no glare to oncoming drivers...now I can see! This is the future of headlights. No doing the interior and rear high stops, then the whole thing!
    Well, now you have to post pics of the head lights and details on the bulbs.

Mikey319 likes this.
    Glutton for Punishment: 13 CC Sport Plus, 04 Passat 1.8T GLS Variant, 99 C-Red Passat 1.8T (crushed)

Ordered a new IAT and MAP sensor from urotuning.

1st Gear
    New rear door speakers. Same Alpine parts that I installed in the front doors:

The rear door tweeters were even easier to fit than the fronts were - they just dropped into place. A bead of urethane, and they're there to stay.

New head unit over the weekend, too. Kenwood DDX-574BH:

It'll probably take me a month to get it fully dialed in. But, I like it.
    VAGguy likes this.

Neutral
    2004 W8 6spd manual sport wagon

223765 miles
    Replaced with OEM:
    Spark plugs
    Fuel filter
    12v outlet in rear of console
    steering wheel because of dog chew marks! Brand new from Germany! Beautiful!
    Drivers side grill/fog light surround
    Removed old Bluetooth kit which no longer worked

Received left and right headlight repair kits and new xenon bulbs.... next day off!
    VAGguy likes this.

Neutral
    I meant now doing the interior, the front is done...beware the pain doing the map lights. I am going to do the rear lights next as now they shine a dull yellow. I will put the pictures up as soon as they arrive from my phone to email!

Neutral
    I re-wrapped my 04 in a sort of neon yellow over the weekend, was matte blue last week.

Hirnbeiss and Roostre like this.

32. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Where do you live?

Year of model

car model

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information