Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

What did you do to your Passat today?

1M views 12K replies 1K participants last post by  Hirnbeiss 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've seen this on many forums and it's always been a winner. Post up what you did to your car today. Add a picture or two that show what your did.

With that, I give you my addition, I polished my headlights.

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Grille

See less See more
#8,762 · (Edited)
For those of you in the Pics or didn't happen, sorry it's late but just took this:

also, for those of you with too much time on your hands, I didn't get a chance to swap over the tires because the guy said they were more offset than they were, so I need a little bit of space. I have some 10mm spacers coming Monday.
sorry a bit rainy and my keys were inside, so took it through the window:

#8,761 ·
Not mine, but checked a noise on "twowagens" car as he was nearby. I only found the front nut missing on the belly pan, hopefully that was it. Sent him home 30 mins before the tornado sirens started going off. Funnel cloud spotted south of Ft. Worth (about 25 miles away) but it looks like it fell apart as it neared DFW airport. No hail, but plenty of rain here.

#8,764 · (Edited)
Bought more parts that I will not install anytime soon. This time a JHM Short Shifter, I already have the solid linkage and cross-over (not installed). I did not want the Delrin bushings as I don't want more vibration.

#8,772 ·
I've been there before too!
Back in 2004 I had seven vehicles sitting in my driveway. There was a period of time that every single one of them were out of commission. I was dumb founded, I remember thinking how the hell did this happen. I know this doesn't help your current situation, but I can tell you I feel your pain and frustration.

If you've got the V6 in your car, switch to the aluminum thermostat housing. I've done it to every V6 I've owned.

Reactions: cchief22
#8,774 ·
Duly noted. unfortunately, it will be a while before I can do that upgrade. The problem with 0 working cars, is I live in the middle of nowhere VT, and my office is 13 miles away.
just been a horrible last 16 months for me. if it wasn't for bad luck, I would have none at all.

#8,775 ·
Had what I thought was a minor issue last week after not driving the car for 2-3 weeks. Started the car and got the "Alternator Workshop" and battery light in the dash. A few minutes later, ran it to redline in 1st and 2nd getting on the highway and the light went out. No issue the rest of the day running errands.

I drove the car again this morning. I drove my wife 20 miles to the surgery center for rotator cuff repairs in my car as she already has trouble climbing into the Tiguan. Started the car and the warning and light comes on again. Due to drizzle and fog, I had the lights on, but they did not dim at all. After a few miles the warning lights go out. Then I hit the windshield single wipe and the instrument cluster died right after the ABS Beep and brake light flashed. No lights, no tach, no speedo for about 15 seconds. Then everything came back and no issues the rest of the day apart from the car door auto-locking before I even drove anywhere. That's happened a few times over the last few years, not sure if it happened only after the swap. I don't know if the ABS module has ever been replaced, but it has not in the last 15 years I have owned the car (surprising considering the stiff suspension and high speed driving on dirt roads). The auto-lock problem usually comes up as a failing cluster (center readout was replaced years ago) as it does not show any speed when the doors lock, so it's not the VSS.

I'll see if the light comes on Friday, as my wife can't drive for a month (more damage than expected). I do have the cluster out of the donor car I could test out, but it has a broken plastic cover. I was worried about breaking down on the way to the surgery center and am pretty frustrated in general (almost to the point of deciding to sell again).

#8,776 ·
Been here before for different reasons, think today might be the end of repairs to get my 2.8 01 Passat sound.

When I first got this car, PCV was wrapped in electrical tape end to end. Close inspection realized that it needed replacing, everything was fine for a week. Then she started smoking. Frustration built, car sat, and finally we determined our "cause" to be leaky valve gaskets. Replaced, drove for a week, smoking stopped and then came back. One more time on the gaskets last week, as we were unsure if they were actually the issue. Replaced cam seals and caps all the way around just for good measure. Smoking stopped for a day, then she threw codes. First one was 1338, realized cam position sensor didn't get plugged back in all the way. Second one was 1411, discovered a cracked line running from SAIP into the air box.

Also decided to pull the PCV vacuum valve and test for clogs. Lo and behold, the cause for my crankcase pressure. Replacement comes tuesday.

Also worth noting, replaced bank 1 cam chain tensioner shoe. Noted that when we were trying to wedge it in, the middle cam on that side popped over one tooth ? Tuesday she gets TDC check for alignment, but the noise is troubling. Only thing I cant figure out is why this car clacks when started from cold. After turnover, I can turn it off and start it again and no noise. Only when it sits. ?‍♂?‍♂?‍♂ trouble in B5 mechanics paradise

#8,777 ·
Been here before for different reasons, think today might be the end of repairs to get my 2.8 01 Passat sound.

Also worth noting, replaced bank 1 cam chain tensioner shoe. Noted that when we were trying to wedge it in, the middle cam on that side popped over one tooth ? Tuesday she gets TDC check for alignment, but the noise is troubling. Only thing I cant figure out is why this car clacks when started from cold. After turnover, I can turn it off and start it again and no noise. Only when it sits. ?‍♂?‍♂?‍♂ trouble in B5 mechanics paradise
I do believe that the CCTs need oil pressure to work properly. I think they're supposed to hold that pressure for a while. Yours may be leaking down too soon - might be a sign that new ones are in your future. If they fail, it may be too late.

#8,781 ·
Because the rear wheel bearing project was aborted, I decided to take care of some of the 'to do' items that I've been to lazy to do for the last few months.

Brand new coolant tank. Old one was seeping coolant when hot. Had your typical cracks in it.

Brand new N80 valve.

Replaced the old rubber strips on the sides of the windshield.
If I were selling the car, this would be a must do. It really dresses up the appearance of the vehicle.

#8,787 · (Edited)
I spent three days getting the right pinch bolt out so I could replace the rest of my control arms/links.

Steering much better. I also pounded out the dent that cut my tire.

I did not have a chance to get to the other things I needed to do like the thermostat/housing/timing belt/water pump & also flex pipe.

While underneath the car I noticed some oil leaks that do not look new. I think they are coming from the bottom of both Kombi valve gaskets. Is this a known issue?
078 131 120D/M and 078 131 120E Ordered

Replaced the old rubber strips on the sides of the windshield.
Where did you buy these?

#8,783 ·
Yeah most what you see is from down here. The top edges were just starting to show signs of decay when I was still in WI. The last 2 years down here have REALLY accelerated the aging process on the rubber trim pieces.

#8,792 · (Edited)
Drove my wagon again, got the same Alternator Workshop warning and battery light on for the 1st couple of miles. I'll test it in a day or two as we have 3 cars and only 1 driver for now while my wife heals.
I also drove the Tiguan and it's got me spoiled. It's smoother, quieter, faster, newer and gets 7-8mpg better on the highway. The Passat gets better mpg in short city driving due to the manual trans and lighter weight. It's also much more fun to drive.

#8,793 ·
Changed the pre-cat O2 sensor on the FIL's Passat today. 2001 B5.5 AWT 1.8T. I had the wonderful surprise of actually being able to remove the old one with, wait for it..... a 22 mm open end wrench!

I used a Bosch specific sensor and was really surprised all the fastening accessories were included. Even the little plastic clamp-on ring used to protect the wiring from the metal retainer clamp.

#8,794 ·
Played with the EVAP system and found that the problem is in the tank area. This thread P0456 - Small leak detected - Not N80 valve was a great help and unfortunately, my problem is in the same area. I'll probably drop the tank to see what is going on eventually but for now I'll just live with the CEL.

I also changed the wheels over to snow tires and discovered that one of the outer CV boots is starting to rip and is just starting to throw grease. I guess I'll order a boot kit for that before my wife takes it in and gets a 'new' axle put on.

#8,795 ·
I also changed the wheels over to snow tires
That's ironic. Just this weekend I was thinking I'll have to switch back to summer wheels here. Over the weekend several records were set for high temperatures with the highs over 18 C. There hasn't been any snow this winter.

Pretty soon I'll feel like I'm back in Kuwait, or at least my birth place in Texas.