Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

What did you do to your Passat today?

1M views 12K replies 1K participants last post by  cantacheti 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've seen this on many forums and it's always been a winner. Post up what you did to your car today. Add a picture or two that show what your did.

With that, I give you my addition, I polished my headlights.

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Grille

See less See more
#8,348 ·
I don't think we have any highway around here that you can go that slow and not get run off the road. That slow speed might work on our side roads.

Friday I got a bit done on #4, my son's 01.5 V6 5sp manual sedan (now has 73K). Trans mounts, partially torn, replaced with generic brand. 034 Street motor mounts. The originals were dripping Barney Blood all over. V6 motor mounts suck, even on a manual trans, at least I had the stubby 13mm wrench to remove them. New coolant tank, oil/filter change and an air filter. Much more to do on Sunday.

I am taking an allergy (and soreness) break as the Red Oaks coated everything in a green layer of dust this week. Dog-sitting for my son, so they bring the pollen inside too. The rain today should clear it all out.

I also got a call that the Tiguan is ready. We will pick it up Monday or Tuesday when my son swaps cars and takes the dogs home.

#8,349 ·
Replaced original (86k km’s) front brake pads with TRW’s.
Pedal is a little softer, so i may have sucked in a little air during piston compress / bleed valve open/shut procedure. May need a further bleed, but will bed them in first and see how it goes.

Still have rears to do, but still have meat on them & I want to come up with a good plan to wind in the pistons without the tool first.

#8,351 · (Edited)
Took out and cleaned the fuel injectors today. Got a cheap set of o-rings from Autozone and replaced them too. It was relatively simple job. It was the very first time that injectors were taken out in 18 years. Surprisingly, all 4 were clean and didn't need any special care. No dirt or oil around them at all. I also took out their harness and clean them too. For this stellar accomplishment I have committed myself to a month long vacation in Europe :thumbup:.

Next, took out the TB and clean that as well. Aligned the TB afterwards and drove the car. Not much in difference in terms of lack of power or horrible fuel economy but at least I did something good to her. :thumbup:

#8,355 ·
Thank you very much for the elaborate explanation.

I have replaced all motor, transmission and the snub mounts. No avail. There is still vibration especially at red light on D. Even without the AC on.

So basically cleaning the injectors consist of replacing the o rings and cleaning the nozzles?

I have seen people hooking up the connectors to a power source and flush them. I don’t know how feasible it is on our Passats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8,356 · (Edited)
I have replaced all motor, transmission and the snub mounts. No avail. There is still vibration especially at red light on D. Even without the AC on.
This is a bit odd. If all those mounts have been replaced and still vibrates you caught me on that. Unless we theorize that a clogged injectors cause some of the cylinders don't get enough fuel which then causes an asymmetric cylinder work :p (don't quote me on this).

So basically cleaning the injectors consist of replacing the o rings and cleaning the nozzles?
I didn't see anything else there. Some people also totally remove the injectors and replace the upper rings but I didn't do that.

I have seen people hooking up the connectors to a power source and flush them. I don’t know how feasible it is on our Passats.
I didn't mess with that. Plugging a power source may interfere with the already existing codes and cause unknown issues. Anyway, I don't see its benefits. Just manual cleaning should do the job.

#8,360 ·
Finishing up #4 with a new coolant temp sensor and outer CV joints as the boots were torn over a year ago. Son#1 reported my car had the CEL come back on but not blinking for his 200mile here to swap cars back.

Picked up the new Tiguan. It's almost like a luxury car, no squeaks, rattles, body flex or noise. It's also not much fun to drive but I can work on that. I decided I don't like Bluetooth, it's just an easier way for your phone to annoy you.

#8,370 ·
These Germans must sit back and laugh their asses off by what they make us do to perform maintenance on these vehicles.
This a deliberate and calculated strategy deployed by German auto makers. The repair and maintenance must be so complicated and difficult that almost no average Joe can do it. This generates huge revenue for the stealerships. Thus make the design in a way that requires lots of maintenance but at the same time no one will be able to do it so dealers will be happy.

#8,377 ·
I saw that this Passat part was made in West Germany!
Most probably the mold belongs to 80s and they still use it till today. Changing the mold to remove "West" is not cost justifiable since no one really notice it :lol:
Back in 2001 I was in the market for a new car (my old Honda accord was taken by the Houston flood and got not a single penny from FEMA :puke:).
I was disillusioned about the cheap plastic used in the interior of the Japanese cars, so I took the chance and wanted to try my chances with a German car.
Did the research and found that Jetta was assembled in Mexico and had lots of quality issues but Passat was made and assembled in Germany. Thus the choice was clear.
Got the Passat and the rest is history :crazy:

#8,380 ·
Drove it for the 1st time in 2 weeks. My son mentioned the CEL was on, so I scanned it and it had a CTS code. Shows 143c, a bit on the warm side. The CTS was new sometime after the swap. I also had to fuel up as he forgot to mention the gas light was on.

Reactions: benzivr6
#8,381 ·
I have a semi-big project. Last fall, I replaced window regulator. Surprised I could do install myself and window work correctly. Only, 1 problem - about week later the handle couldn't open door from inside. So all winter I had to lower window and reach out and open car from outside. Project for this month is to open that door up again and try to secure the door handle cable better. Anyone else go thru this?

#8,383 ·
Filled up my power steering reservoir. To my horror I could hear the power steering pump groaning on my way home from work. Blasted hose is leaking at the cooling pipe loop, AGAIN! :banghead: :mad:

#8,386 ·
I parked the Passat and the Golf at the hospital parking garage 2 blocks away. Seems a lot of other people had the same idea as it was packed. Tiguan is in the garage along with the immobile donor car (for the last 4 years). Massive hail predicted tonight, up to softball sized. Taking no chances after we had hail damage in March and baseball sized hail hit north-east of here early this month. Nothing like spring time in Texas.

#8,389 ·
Finally finish installing my gauges & EBC in the wagon, 2 war scars meaning I'm actually getting better at dodging the sharp metal framing under the dash
IMG_9584 by Kevin Romain, on Flickr

IMG_9583 by Kevin Romain, on Flickr
For those readings, I have been looking into an arduino hack for the cluster but haven't had time to pull the trigger. Look up FISblocks on github.

Reactions: benzivr6
#8,394 ·
Replaced all PCV valves and hoses and tubes. They were all factory original (18 years) and totally clogged up with gunk. Started yesterday and quickly sank in the quagmire. Only a one-time clamp took nearly 6 hours of my time to finally be removed. Lots of bruises and wounds on my hands and pain on my back and legs.
I used and invented thousands of curse that I knew to VW and those sick-minded retarded German engineers that had to come up with such design. May God burn them in the Hell forever :lol:

Tomorrow will try to change the crank vent valve and diverter valve. I pity myself :rolleyes: