Loud engine knocking
+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Loud engine knocking

Hello i am new to the VW world but recently bought a 99 Passat 1.8T The car had a rough idle but i decided to buy it anyways so i replaced the air filter as it was very dirty ran some injector cleaner through it and found two hoses with small leaks in them. After all that it was still running rough. It was still throwing throttle body sensor CEL and misfires on all cylinders. The car ran fine when moving but when stopped it had a rough idle. Now for the bar part after a nice snow storm i tried to start up the car and it would not start but when attempting to start a loud knocking noise and very bad vibrations occurred when trying to start. I did get it to start for a few seconds without holding the key but nothing stable. I looked into the air box and there did not to seem to be any water in there so i am very confused and any help would be much appreciated. Im going to try and get a video clip tomorrow to help explain.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    Forgot to add something. After the snow storm I had to clear a lot of snow out of the engine bay and around the battry area. I have replaced all of the spark plugs and the old ones had a lot of black carbon buildup. I also tried a diffrent battry that did not help anything.

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    take it to a shop for a proper diagnosis.

Neutral
    I think that's where I'm going to have to go I just don't want to have it towed there then back once I don't want to pay for the thousands of dollors it will take to fix it.

Lisa Simpson
    Hmm. google the VAG-COM registry and see if you can find someone close by that can pull the codes for a six pack of beer. You may have failed coilpacks. They are know to go and cause all sorts of misery.

Neutral
    Here is an audio clip of me trying to start the car. No one near me on the registry

<a href="http://yourlisten.com/channel/content/33223/99_VW_Passat_1.8t">http://yourlisten.com/channel/content/33223/99 VW Passat 1.8t</a>
    Last edited by GlennH; 02-07-2010 at 04:03 PM.

8. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information