which side does long wiper blade go on
+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

which side does long wiper blade go on

anybody know I forgot to mark them when I took them off which side does the long arm go on is it driver or passenger.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    Passenger side.

1st Gear
    thanx a lot dude

1st Gear
    are you sure about that? the longer blade is on my driver's side. i lost track as well, but it looked like the longer blade would hang over the edge of the windshield if fitted on the passenger side. i've got the newer style aero blades

4th Gear
    i think my passat has 21 inch wipers on both arms

1st Gear
    yeah I have 21s on both sides with a B5

3rd Gear
    Can't see my car much less the wiper blades, they are 21's tho. Both sides.

2nd Gear
    I'm pretty sure it goes on the drivers side. I learned the hard way that the longer part goes on that side when changing my cv joint and drive shafts....accidentally put the short one on driver side and it slipped out as soon as I put the car in gear and broke. Anyhow, lesson learned, driver side = long and passenger side = short. According to the parts store it applies to the wipers as well!

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by zona View Post
    anybody know I forgot to mark them when I took them off which side does the long arm go on is it driver or passenger.
    He was asking for the wiper arm length, not the blade itself. I imagine he was putting the windshield cowl panel back after the water leak fixes. Yes both blades are 21'' long with curved passenger side blade unless they are the aero style blades.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by WSRPassat View Post
    I'm pretty sure it goes on the drivers side. I learned the hard way that the longer part goes on that side when changing my cv joint and drive shafts....accidentally put the short one on driver side and it slipped out as soon as I put the car in gear and broke. Anyhow, lesson learned, driver side = long and passenger side = short. According to the parts store it applies to the wipers as well!
    Aren't the drive shafts equal in length? I never checked mine before putting them on and it's been fine for like 10k km.

murdered out Jetta, er, B5 Passat mrgreek2002's Avatar
    On the 's they are the same lenth on both sides, but on the 's the passenger side one is smaller. At least that's how they came from the factory. I got the ECS kit that came with arms and wiper blades and they sent me 2 21" blades, so that's what I've been using for a while now and the passenger 21" is about an inch too long and resides on my passenger A-Pillar.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ElliottG View Post
    Aren't the drive shafts equal in length? I never checked mine before putting them on and it's been fine for like 10k km.
    Negative, Ghostrider. The passenger side drive shaft is about 0.75" shorter than the driver's side. It was just long enough to fit, but not long enough to work.

1st Gear
    OK I got B5.5 aero blades I need to know which side does the long arm go? I installed it on passenger side is that right or not. I removed both arms not just blades but forgot to mark which side was what. like yrwei52 said I had a leak I had to fix so had to remove everything.

3rd Gear
    As I mentioned before, the long arm goes to the passenger side. Remember I just went through whatever you just have been doing right now.

1st Gear
    thanx dude will switch when weather warms up

17. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information