How much would it cost to fix this damage?
+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

How much would it cost to fix this damage?

I'm thinking of picking up this 2000 passat 1.8t manual leather, cd, etc 106k miles. I haven't seen it in person but you can see in the pciture the tail light is broken and he says "there is some damage to the quarter panel, but not a lot and i have new tail light for it."
    Assuming that some body work and paint work need to be done to the right rear quarter how much do you think that would cost approximately? He's asking $3200 for the car which I don't think it's worth that much with the damage.
    This is what else he has said about the car:
    cosmetically - has some scratches on the body nothing major.
    No rust
    Leather interior, there is one rip in driver side, other then that-clean.
    Non smoker
    Mechanically-ok just changed oil on it this Monday, water pump and timing belt 10k miles ago.
    The only thing is i have ABS light on it has been since the first day i had the car, brakes are like new.
    No noises, clutch is good all windows work A/C is working even if you are sitting in traffic.Shifts great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    You can get the quarter-panels pretty easily, it's painting to match that's the tough ($$$) part. Other than that, talk him down to the $2k range and you're laughing if he has the service records...

Resident a-hole knowitall
    dont forget the the quarte panel has to be welded in, its not a bolt on piece.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by vwb5t View Post
    dont forget the the quarte panel has to be welded in, its not a bolt on piece.
    Well I'm pretty sure the damage is minimal enough that the damage can be pulled out instead of replacing the whole panel. He just told me that he can get it fixed for $300 which I don't believe, but I haven't seen it yet so it's possible.

Overdrive
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Perry View Post
    Well I'm pretty sure the damage is minimal enough that the damage can be pulled out instead of replacing the whole panel. He just told me that he can get it fixed for $300 which I don't believe, but I haven't seen it yet so it's possible.
    Around here most places charge about $400 just to prep and paint a panel; if they have to straighten metal, it's more. And you do want a quality job, if it's going to even come close to matching the rest of the car. From what little I can see in your picture, I'd guess $500 or so - assuming he provides the tail light.

2nd Gear
    make sure if you get it and you get the quarter pannel fixed that it gets fixed right and you wont have to worry about any water leaking in the trunk. if you have the time or the money to fix it i would say go for it!

1st Gear
    Bondo and Primer...

$25.00

1st Gear
    FWIW I just got my 99 1.8 tip silver black leather no rips with abs light and cracked windshield for $2300. $3200 seems high to me esp. with body work. Oh and fixed the ABS for $100

4th Gear
    I need to see the quarter a little better but I came up around $500-550 with the vehicle owner providing the tail lamp................. assuming there are no damage to the trunk or the bumper.
    This is done with labor rate of $40/hr with $24/hr on material

ps. oh yeah, and get that price down a bit.

Neutral
    I'll see if he will take $2700, I might start lower though, I don't think it's worth more than that.

Overdrive
    Leather interior, there is one rip in driver side, other then that-clean.
    BTW, how fussy about your upholstery? To fix that tear the right way, you replace the cover on that section. Look up what VW wants for replacement leather. I dare you.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by scotts13 View Post
    BTW, how fussy about your upholstery? To fix that tear the right way, you replace the cover on that section. Look up what VW wants for replacement leather. I dare you.
    Yeah I figured if it bothers me enough I'll buy a used seat from someone parting out their car.

Neutral
    Here is a picture of teh damage. I decided to drive 3 hours to take a look at the car yesterday. The damage as seen is fairly bad, I can't see it costing less than $500 to fix. There's also a dent on the other rear quarter that has paint damage. It's not nearly as bad as the passenger side, but it's still there. And there's a couple dents on one of the front fenders which could be removed with dentless repair. There are also a lot of scratches, some deep and the entire paint is pretty shitty. It really needs to be polished (I have all the stuff to do that though). The interior is really dirty. The seats weren't in as bad condition as I thought they would be, not great though. The glovebox latch is broken off. The rear brake pads are completely gone. He also said he changed the oil so I asked if he uses synthetic and he said no. Overall I'd say it's pretty much a piece of shit, I don't know why people let their cars become that way. I offered him $2500 (I probably wouldn't even pay that much for it though) and he said $2900 so I said no thanks. I'll just wait for a nicer one to come around.

4th Gear
    About 8 years ago I got a very similar dent fixed (just a bondo job, no Q-panel) for about $300. It was a body shop from down in the industrial section of town that is nothing but street after street of machine shops, warehouses and body shops, etc. That kind of thing. They have lower overhead and do a lot of fleet work, trucks, welding, springs, like that. All of my older cars went there for body work, and honestly I didn't bring my Passat and Votex kit there because I'm really picky about this car (almost did) but I never found fault with their work before. And it was always half of what other more local shops quoted me.

Find one of them if you can.

I'm just itching to be Banned NEWMAN'SOWN's Avatar
    I wouldn't pay a dime over 1500, you have to keep other things in mind besides the damage as I am sure you may have. This may seem judgemental, but I would never buy a car, with any damage, if the owner can' take care of his car's body, how can anyone expect that he has taken care of the engine? Keep looking, I see that mileage/age of Passat go in the 2000 range that are in much better condition.

17. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information