2004 2.8L 6 Cylinder Passat Oil Consumption
+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

2004 2.8L 6 Cylinder Passat Oil Consumption

I was told today that my passat should consume about a quart of oil per 1,000 miles. That sounds like a lot of BS as every other car I've owned, heard about, the oil level barley drops between oil changes, including the also German model the Mercedes.

Does anyone have any facts on the Passat's oil consumption rates?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    my 1.8T used to consume abt a quart every 1000miles when it had a blocked pcv system. after replacing the various check valves and the suction jet pump it barely uses any oil.

2000 Passat GLS
    1.8T ATW
    Manual
    178K Miles.

I'm just itching to be Banned NEWMAN'SOWN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    I was told today that my passat should consume about a quart of oil per 1,000 miles. That sounds like a lot of BS as every other car I've owned, heard about, the oil level barley drops between oil changes, including the also German model the Mercedes.

Does anyone have any facts on the Passat's oil consumption rates?
    That is nothing unusual as far as a car goes. You should see the oil consumption on the Mazda RX-8, my friend bought one new and it goes through 5 quarts between changes. Mazda says that is normal. Mine don't burn any oil, but maybe you have a problem with a gasket/seal or something. Also I know this may seem obvious, but do you change the rings on the oil plug? If you don't the oil pan will leak oil at a fairly rapid rate. something to keep in mind.

3rd Gear
    It's not that it should consume a quart per 1,000 miles.

Vw has deemed it acceptable for their engines to consume up to 1 quart per 1,000 miles while under warranty. A consumption higher than that (after being verified by a valid oil consumption test) may necessitate repairs.

I'm just itching to be Banned NEWMAN'SOWN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixmy59bug View Post
    It's not that it should consume a quart per 1,000 miles.

Vw has deemed it acceptable for their engines to consume up to 1 quart per 1,000 miles while under warranty. A consumption higher than that (after being verified by a valid oil consumption test) may necessitate repairs.
    Exactly.

3rd Gear
    Most who have posted here on V6 oil consumption say they see about 1/2 - 1 qt per 5,000 miles (between oil changes) which is about what mine is. 1 qt/1,000 is higher than it should be IMHO.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by y2000passat View Post
    Most who have posted here on V6 oil consumption say they see about 1/2 - 1 qt per 5,000 miles (between oil changes) which is about what mine is. 1 qt/1,000 is higher than it should be IMHO.
    my two passats,01 4-motion V-6 96000,miles 00 fwd variant V-6,99000 miles both use appx 1/2-1 qt each per 5,000 mile oci

Neutral
    I have 04 v6, uses oil all the time, took it to vw to have them check it over said nothing was wrong, These engines just use lots of oil

1st Gear
    My 2002 1.8T with 130K miles (oil changes every 5K miles) does not consume anything near this volume of oil ! - never any oil level drop at oil change time and never had to add any between changes - something is definitely wrong.

Neutral
    I did a thorough search on here several months ago and found out that the usual culprits are the valve cover gaskets, cam tensioner seals, cam shaft seals, and the PCV system. Valve cover gaskets and cam tensioner seals were the problem with my V6 (55k miles) losing oil and after having the seals replaced I'm back to normal consumption.

Some of the threads I found said that the large amount of oil loss was "normal" but others said it wasn't. I went the safe route and got the seals replaced.

Here's the thread

Yes, another oil question

Self inflicted facepalm
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo 8283 View Post
    my two passats,01 4-motion V-6 96000,miles 00 fwd variant V-6,99000 miles both use appx 1/2-1 qt each per 5,000 mile oci

X2...maybe even less. I change my oil about every 5K and I have never used a full L to keep it topped off. 67K V6 2002

13. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information