P1176
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: P1176

Neutral

Help with Code P1176 Please!

2000 GLX V6 with 107,xxx miles. Was driving this morning and the check engine light came on and said emissions workshops. Went to check the code and got P1176.

I've read a few things on what it could be, but is there any symptoms that go along with it like stuttering or weird idle so i can tell what it is?

Should i just replace my O2 sensor and hope that was the problem? Also i was wondering if you can use universal sensors or is there some brand i should get? Thanks.
    Last edited by bcl0328; 06-26-2009 at 07:29 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    17584/P1176/004470 - Bank1: O2 (Lambda) Correction Behind Catalyst: Control Limit Reached
    Possible Causes

* Intake Air System leaking
    * Oxygen Sensor(s) and/or Oxygen Sensor Control faulty

Possible Solutions

* Check Intake Air System for Leaks (False Air)
    * Check Oxygen Sensor(s) and/or Oxygen Sensor Control (all of them!)

Neutral
    Does behind mean post or pre cat? I checked the ohms of the post-cat and it was 10.2

I saw the wires were labeled 608, 609, 610, they were all 10 ohms, where is 607 or 611 which i assume is the fourth oxygen sensor.
    Last edited by bcl0328; 06-26-2009 at 09:14 AM.

Neutral
    The 2 wires i checked were the heater wires i think, do i check the other 2 for anything?

Neutral
    bump

Neutral

Need help with code P1176

2000 GLX V6 with 107,xxx miles. Was driving this morning and the check engine light came on and said emissions workshops. Went to check the code and got P1176.

I've checked three oxygen sensors for their ohms but found out it was only the heater wires. The wires had the numbers 608, 609, 610 on them. Is there a 607 or 611 for the 4th sensor somewhere?

I just need to locate where all the sensors and their plugs are if anyone can help.

PZ
    Redline
    The O2 sensors plugs are on the firewall right behind the air intake flexible hose. The Brown and Green plugs are the rear sensors. The Black plug is the front sensor. The other front sensor plug is behind the coolant tank on the firewall.

The passenger side rear O2 sensor might be the problem but I would check the vacuum hoses 1st. If the ECU software update has not been done, that might help too.

Neutral
    So it looks to me the green one is the problem. I've had vacuum leaks before but the idle was weird and my idle is normal. Should i replace the sensor or is there a way to test if it's working properly? I'll look into the ECU re flash.

Neutral
    bump, still not sure what to do

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
    The O2 sensors plugs are on the firewall right behind the air intake flexible hose. The Brown and Green plugs are the rear sensors. The Black plug is the front sensor. The other front sensor plug is behind the coolant tank on the firewall.

The passenger side rear O2 sensor might be the problem but I would check the vacuum hoses 1st. If the ECU software update has not been done, that might help too.
    he says the most likely cause here.
    it is one possibility that the car's "limit attained" means that the air fuel ratio is so far out of whack, or at it's VERY limit of control.

if you want the quick way to test this out, switch the passenger side and drivers side oxygen sensors and see if the code comes back if a sensor is bad, it will follow the sensor.
    don'tya love how these things work interchangeably?
    (just be sure to plug them back correctly

Neutral
    So if i switch the sensor would the code p1177 come up? I think that's for bank2.

P1177 O2 Correction Behind Catalyst,B2 Limit Attained

I'm all for trying this out but will it hurt the engine in any way?

1st Gear
    I've got it too.

107k+ you say? Check your flex joint -- leaking exhaust will present too much air to the post-cat O2 sensors. Also your connector sleeves (or, heck, any other possible leak).

1st Gear
    Okay:

P1176 (or p1177) Causes/comments - likely causes (in rank order)

1: Bad O2 sensor (fixed, in my case)
    2: Pinhole (or not so pinhole) exhaust leak (likely, in my case)
    3: SAI Pump failure (does a B5 2.8l V-6 even *have* the SAI?)
    4: Intake/vacuum leak (not impossible, and more general than SAI failure)

Hmm, given it's one side only, I opt again for the flex joint crack...

15. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information