Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

cost of motor mount install

12K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  MikekiM 
#1 ·
does $645 sound right for replacing a cracked motor mount on a b5.5 1.8 from an indie?

#3 ·
it depends. the job takes a few hours, however without parts includd, no it is not worth it.
if parts ARE included, yes, that price is justified.

on the 1.8t it's terribly easy. access is very easy to the motor mount top nut, where as the v6 basically makes you realize a kick to your own two nuts is more fun.

#4 · (Edited)
God, that sounds like a total rip off. I don't know what the indie going rate is, but the mounts don't cost that much and replacing them isn't that hard. This is actually a very doable DIY job.

Edit: I have a V6 and it is somewhat difficult to get to the top nut of the motor mounts. But with a stubby wrench it actually isn't too bad.

#5 ·
well, depending on the area, shop hour is easily $105 or so, give or take, typically above $100 at almost any shop. oem parts would come from a dealership, if the shop will not use outside parts. they cost about $65 a piece i want to say (sounds odd... correct me if needed) so that's a specified 130 parts cost plus what seems to be a 4.5 hour labor time.it sounds dead on for ANY shop.

you can't call it a rip without knowing the shop pricing systems :p

as for how i got the top nut, i have a set of flex head ratchetting wrenches i got from matco. they're the XL series. GOOD tool, however the flex lock sucks.

#6 ·
Which side is bad? I don't think it should take a pro, who has done one any time recently on a B5, more than about 2 hours to do both sides, with about 2/3 of that time doing the passenger side. Maybe less.

If you do it yourself, be advised that there have been several incidents of the Meyle passenger side 1.8T aftermarket mount failing either out of the box or within a couple of thousand miles. Mine did. 2nd time around, I used the Febi V6 mount. http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=ivcxfau4smhjjr55nmc0scfj&makeid=800026@VW&modelid=1382734@PASSAT%20&year=2002&cid=20@Engine%20Parts,%20Seals%20%26%20Gaskets&gid=5552@Engine/Motor%20Mount A bit more vibration, but holding up so far.

#7 ·
in the shop world, it's not about how much time it takes, but rather how much time is quoted per the book. everything has an "expected labor time" that the flat rate techs are paid by.
if the expected labor time is 4 hours, that's what you get billed for, weather the tech takes 30 minutes, or 5 days, unless the service adviser chooses to lessen the price because the tech got it done in half or less time than expected, or he's just cool and likes to cut deals.

#9 ·
do it yourself, theres a good write up on this site and its a easy job, save yourself $600. but again be careful of the meyle mounts mine arrived leaking, sent it back the replacement made it to 2000 miles sent it back, hopefully third time lucky. strangely the other meyle is fine :confused:
so get yourself some good motor mounts and do it yourself, to me $600+ is crazy when its such a simple job a monkey could do it........he might then rip your face off after hes finnished.

#15 ·
Hey, I will caveat my previous comments by pointing out I was referring to replacing only the two side motor mounts. Replacing the snub mount would increase the cost. I think the book procedure calls for putting the car in the service position to do that (someone correct me if I'm wrong). If correct, that would add to the shop's estimate of labor time.

But turtle's experience is more like what I would have expected.

#16 ·
Took me 1 hour to do the main 2 motor mounts on my 1.8T. Little less on the V6. That price sounds ridiculous. Snub mount took me a few hours, but that was my own mistake. A competent mechanic should be able to do it in less then an hour. So for all 3 engine mounts, that shouldn't be more then 3 hours. And at $100 an hour, thats still only $300... The mounts themselves are not very expensive. The Audi RS4 high performance mounts are only like $100, snub mount is like $25. just my 2 cents.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I believe I was once quoted about $350 to have just the 2 motor mounts replaced (not the snub mount), but I never would have paid that. Ive found the stock motor mounts (V6 are a little stiffer if you want less engine movement) for left and right for like $65. And am I the only one who thought it was easier on the V6 then on the 1.8T???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.