how long is too long? driving on a bent rim
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    3rd Gear

how long is too long? driving on a bent rim

last week i went to get a front alignment because i got one my front half axles replaced etc. i also asked them to rotate my tires at the same time. when i went to pick it up - they said the alignment was done but they couldn't rotate my tires because my back driverside rim was bent...and if they put it in the front of my car, id feel it alot more. its holding air & everything but i haven't taken it off to see if i can see any problems with the rim. o yeh its a stock 15in 5 spoke for my 98 passat. mechanic man said i should get it done sooner than later...and the tire "maybe" salvageable etc..blah blah
    this is an excuse for getting some cheap rims BUT my $$ going toward my suspension as we speak ;-)
    how long is too long to drive this way? TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Banned
    Driving on a bent rim at all is too long. Get it fixed before it blows out on the highway at night during a thunderstorm with your whole family in the car.

4th Gear
    Is there uneven wear on that tire?

Probably best not to wait too long but a few more days without uneven wear means you probably aren't doing too much damage to your tire.

Swap with your (full-size) spare for a couple of weeks until you can get a replacement alloy rim.

murdered out Jetta, er, B5 Passat mrgreek2002's Avatar
    Get a another rim of the same kind. You can get a used one from a local junk yard. Just search www.car-part.com for one near you. You just refine the search to your car model year, make, model, state or country, and then under part, search for "wheel (with image/picture) and then just check off yours and you should have some luck finding one near by.

3rd Gear
    Swap with your (full-size) spare for a couple of weeks until you can get a replacement alloy rim.

$t0rm1n n0rm@n
    Now it has been to long

Resident a-hole knowitall
    how bent are we talking? can you visible see the bend? if so can you show pics?

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    it all depends on how badly the rim is bent. I'd venture an eeducated guess that a minor bend isn't going to cause a blowout, unless you are driving at a great rate of speed (higher than normal highway speeds) for a prolonged period of time.

I have one bent right now, and it's presently on the front passenger side. that rim will be on the rear shortly. it is noticeable to ME, but not necessarily to others who might drive my car (my wife, for example). I drive the car 120 miles daily...and it has been bent for at least 6 months.

Loose female member
    Get it replaced.
    I hit a pot hole 6 months back. Just after that I rotated the tires.
    Noticed a weird shimmy, drove for a few months.
    Rotated tires, noticed a weird vibration, let it go a few months.
    Started to notice a whine from the front end.
    Checked my wheel bearings, both front were shot.
    Checked the rear, one of the rears was shot.
    Checked the rims, forund the bent rim

Put on a new rim plus bearings all around

It could have been cheaper.

Really I should of just checked the rims and replaced the bent one.
    It was not visible on the car, but on a machine you could see the wobble.

^ that'll do it.

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    i've got a bent one. i's noticeable, and is properly sealed now, but i don't know when it happened.

oddly enough, it was able to balance out, so i'm happy with it, and ignore it.

i'l be getting rid of my asa set after i get my huffs back from the repair shop getting resurfaced and a minor rim ding fixed.

got a place around here called "wheel technologies" cutting me a deal through my commercial dept at work (autozone) for $98 and that's the FULL work.

2nd Gear
    i have a bent one it hasn't been causing any problems, but recently the guy at sears told me it wouldn't be a problem alignment wise but it may throw the tire wear off a little bit, basically its not a problem except that the mass being a little different would wear the tire differently.

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    Sometimes a bent rim can be repaired. It depends on the rim and the amount of damage. Look around for a place that specializes in this sort of thing. Carson Tire by me does this sort of work.

6th Gear
    cant afford a stock 15"er ... buy one and then start saving for the suspension

3rd Gear
    yeh well the $$ isnt gone yet and ill be focusing on the rim 1st. Visually the rim & tire look fine but i haven't taken it off to get a view of the rim from the inside. the tire wear looks fine, im not an expert but people did agree with me. ill be taking the tire off soon and taken pics of the inside & outside...to see what people think of it on here
    prior to getting the alignment down before i knew about the bent rim, i didnt notice or hear anything at all, besides it pulling a lil bit bc of the alignment. BUT when they did it and told me they couldn't do the rotation, i have been noticing a sound coming from my back driverside rim. Its hard to describe - but i usually on here it when i make a slow turn into my driveway for example. So i know he took of the wheel & found out it was bent but its funny how i hear this noise now BUT i didnt hear the noise before he took the wheel off.....
    i KNOW shouldn't be driving that much on it but im keepin n eye on it and limiting my driving until i get a full size spare or something similar. sucks because i found my bill for my current tires from around a year ago & i didnt have a bent rim then - or they just didnt tell me. i dont recall hitting and potholes or anything that would have done this....o well im rambling. thanks PW members

17. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information