Wagon rear hatch door issue
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    42

    Wagon rear hatch door issue

    My rear hatch door does not pop open a bit when either the Key FOB button is pushed or the driver door lever is pulled up. The hatch is open, however, but it seems like the electrics are not doing what thier supposed to be. I guess there is a solinoid in the mechanism to make the door function as when new.

    I have a 2005 Passat wagon.

    Anyone have a clue? I have a Vag-Com but where (which module or test) would I look to see if it recognizes the issue?

    Thanks,

    Tony

  2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    1st Gear
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    Age
    39
    Posts
    379
    Might be the micro switch in the hatch. If you open you hatch, does the overhead light come on? If you unlock the car with the remote and open the hatch without opening other doors, does the car lock itself (as if you did not open the door)? If you answered yes to any of the questions, then you have a bad micro switch.

    I don't know where to test with the VAG-COM.

  4. #3
    3rd Gear
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Hamden, CT USA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,214
    There's nothing the VAG-COM will come up with in all likelihood, but you can poke around the CCM if you'd like.

    A number of things can fail in there- there's two solenoids. One to lock/unlock, one to latch/unlatch. There's also a microswitch on the latch mechanism that can corrode if your rear windshield washer is leaking (does the nozzle follow the arc of the wiper sometimes? This means the tube has broken internally, and it's leaking inside the compartment.

    Does the light in the trunk work consistently? This is one indicator that the microswitch is failing. It's part of the trunk latch mechanism, so you have to buy both together. Roughly $30.

  5. #4
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    42
    With the doors all locked:

    Using the remote to open the hatch: hatch is lifted, interior light comes on. When I close the hatch, the car re-arms itself (beep, light flash).

    With the key to open the hatch, the same set of events goes on.

    So it looks like a bad micro switch? What is the micro switch controlling? The operation of the solinoid?

    edit:diagram at 1stVW Parts indicates a release solinoid but no micro switch in the door. Would this be what you are saying could be the problem?

    Thanks,

    Tony

  6. #5
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    42
    Looks like I'll take the hatch apart tomorrow and see what I can determine. Thanks folks.

    Tony

  7. #6
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    42
    ctobio: where is the best place to buy the parts for the price you indicated?

    Thanks,

    Tony

  8. #7
    3rd Gear
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Hamden, CT USA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,214
    If the lights are operating normally (on when opened, off when closed) then it's probably not the microswitch.

    I'm a bit unclear what's wrong here.

    So, when you press the unlock button on either the fob or the door switch, the door unlocks, and you can release the door when you press the button on the release by the license plate. The hatch itself doesn't move unless you move it. That's normal operation.

  9. #8
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by ctobio View Post
    If the lights are operating normally (on when opened, off when closed) then it's probably not the microswitch.

    I'm a bit unclear what's wrong here.

    So, when you press the unlock button on either the fob or the door switch, the door unlocks, and you can release the door when you press the button on the release by the license plate. The hatch itself doesn't move unless you move it. That's normal operation.
    Oh! I just got this wagon last week and assumed it (the hatch) worked like my 2002 Golf hatch which popped open a bit when you either hit the release on the Key FOB or lifted the release on the driver's door. So on the Passat, it doesn't do that? It just silently unlocks and you have no motion until you lift the door with the handle above the license plate?

    Tony

  10. #9
    3rd Gear
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Hamden, CT USA
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,214
    Quote Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
    Oh! I just got this wagon last week and assumed it (the hatch) worked like my 2002 Golf hatch which popped open a bit when you either hit the release on the Key FOB or lifted the release on the driver's door. So on the Passat, it doesn't do that? It just silently unlocks and you have no motion until you lift the door with the handle above the license plate?

    Tony
    Yep, that's exactly how mine works. Unless mine was defective from the day I bought it brand new, how I described the operation is how it's supposed to work.

  11. #10
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    42
    Thanks, I was a bit confused on the operation as my only experience was with the Golf.

  12. #11
    3rd Gear
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Posts
    2,155
    Quote Originally Posted by ctobio View Post
    Yep, that's exactly how mine works. Unless mine was defective from the day I bought it brand new, how I described the operation is how it's supposed to work.
    That's how mine works ....

  13. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements
     

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2