2001 V6 alternator removal
+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

2001 V6 alternator removal

Greetings forumites. Newbie here but I've been lurking and reading loads of good info. Thanks for all the help already. I've searched this topic here but cant find exactly what I'm looking for soooo..

Here's the scoop . Replacing alternator on 2001 V6 , 5 speed passat wagon.
    Carrier is disconnected and moved forward but still attatched to vehicle via radiator hoses ect.
    Serpetine belt is off.
    All bolts, Except for one rear side mounted( which I can't seem to reach) , removed on alternator. Is this back pivot bolt a 10mm allen and how in the world to you get to it?
    Once Alt. is disconnected, what is the method to get this beast out? Should i go ahead and completely remove the carrier or can I bring the Alt. out forward around the AC lines and behind radiator?
    I don't have a manual for vehicle so if anyone has scanned pages that would be HUGE!!
    Please let me know if you need more info , ect.
    Love this forum and the car. Thanks a million..
    david lee

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    Help anyone??
    Thanks again.
    d

Neutral
    Last shameless bump here.
    Where is the love guys?
    Help?
    DId I offend someone with the question?
    Let me know
    d

Loose female member
    I think it's the expression 'Formites'
    You must be a Brit, it's a strange term over this way.
    Anyways, sorry to hear about your misfortune.
    I have never myself or even recalled on this site of anyone having to replace the Alternator. All the same, you should have some sort of manual as a guide, be it the Bently or even a Hayes at a stretch.
    I will have to go check my own copy to find out.

The only bolts I see are the M8 X 75mm and the M10X 125 mm.
    The directions in the manual are pretty vague.

There must be some way to get the bolts out. You have the carrier locked out, hell an alternator should be a breeze. (You have removed the belt I assume)

Neutral
    Sorry if I offended with "forumites" .. I thought it was a universal term for forum users. My bad..

Yep , belt is off and carrier is locked, but not all the way off as I mentioned .
    The rear bolt is the M8 and impossible to see , much less get a wrench on.
    Just thoght I'd ask if there was some trick, and then , the easiest way to actually get the alternator out of its position. I'm telling you, it is TIGHT in there.
    Thanks again for any help ...
    david

4th Gear
    On the 98, 99 1.8Ts, the alternator pivot bolt has to be removed from the front side (changed the orientation of mine when I was doing some related work and had the radiator removed). Are you sure there's no allen or hex head on the front side of the bolt (i.e. side closest to the radiator)? May need to remove the radiator to get this long bolt out if so. Tilt the A/C condenser towards the pass. side when R&R the radiator.

If not, I guess VW corrected this issue before the 2001 model year...or the "backwards alternator bolt" is a 1.8T only thing.

PZ
    Redline
    There have been very few people who have replaced the alternators in a V6. If you are stuck, I would go ahead and pull the front carrier off. At least you will have more room to work with.

Neutral
    I'm feeling you.. Just replaced my alternator with a rebuilt Valeo 2 months ago and the Voltage regulator fried on it... PITA if I must say so..

I'm not quite sure I understand everything here, but...

There are only 2 bolts holding the alternator in. (I have them in my hand)
    One is an Allen bolt (the top bolt) and the bottom right (around 5 o'clock) bolt is a 13 mm hex if I recall. Once you take those two out and have the plug and 13mm nut off the back of the alternator, you may have to do some slight prying or nudging to get the damn thing off.. it's really wedged in there on that top pivot bolt...

Good Luck..

-matt

Neutral
    P.S. After you get the alternator off the pivot,
    I just took the bracket bolts from the bottom two air conditioning lines and moved them down, and pulled the alt right out from between the coolant hose and the block. I cant even put my car in full service position anymore since my last jackass indy mechanic stripped all three driver's side bumper-post bolts with an impact wrench....

I know you can do it

11. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information