Temperature gauge not working?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Temperature gauge not working?

Hi,

I have a 1999 Passat V6 that I recently bought (used). I recently noticed that the temperature gauge on the dash seems to be faulty.

Sometimes the needle goes to the middle (190 degrees) only to slowly fall back to zero after a while (or not - it's random). Other times, it remains at zero and never moves even after the car has been running for a few miles. No CEL though. I hooked up an OBD-II code reader - no pending codes either.

Any ideas on what might be the issue? I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    coolant temp. sensor is shot.

Neutral
    x2. i had to change mine for a CEL. it's that sensor.

Neutral
    That's the symptoms that describe needing a new coolant temp sensor. There are a number of threads around here covering it. VWOA put out a warranty extension to cover it too, so you might be able to get it replaced free of charge if you look into it.

I found that the location of the temp sensor varies greatly from one engine rev to another. For example, I found that many earlier 1.8T engines had it in a rather convenient location for access while my AWM was a major PITA. I don't recall about the V6 placement, but I'm sure it's discussed if you search.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by musk View Post
    That's the symptoms that describe needing a new coolant temp sensor. There are a number of threads around here covering it. VWOA put out a warranty extension to cover it too, so you might be able to get it replaced free of charge if you look into it.
    Despite the part number being the same, the warranty extension does not apply to the V6.

Here's how you change it on a V6:

http://www.tobio.info/passat/howtos/...nsorhowto.html

Neutral

Follow-up question

Thank you everybody for your help.

I read some of the other threads that seem to cover similar issues. Here are my concerns/ follow-up questions:

1. Most other threads talk about the problem where the temperature guage shows heating. (in my case, it never heats - its either in the middle sometimes slowly falling back to zero or remains at zero).

2. Some of the other threads suggest that there could be a problem in one of three areas - bad coolant temperature sensor, bad thermostat or bad connections?

Can you comment? I appreciate your help.

I'm a total newbie and recently learnt how to change the oil on my own <--- that's the extent of my knowledge about cars!

1st Gear
    Read here, it may help: In my case it was the connections corroding.
    Last edited by luxuryedition; 11-26-2008 at 03:26 PM.

Neutral

Coolant?

Thanks!

Will I leak any coolant while replacing or removing the coolant temperature sensor (to apply dielectric or to replace the coolant temperature sensor)? Should I buy more coolant as well?

3rd Gear
    Read my instructions, first of all.

You will lose a couple of teaspoons of coolant, at most. Make sure you do it with the engine cold.

I would purchase the coolant, spring clip, and o-ring and replace them anyway. Apply dielectric crease to the connector when you reinstall.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger1975 View Post
    Thanks!

Will I leak any coolant while replacing or removing the coolant temperature sensor (to apply dielectric or to replace the coolant temperature sensor)? Should I buy more coolant as well?
    You will not leak any coolant to apply die-electric grease, just undo the electrical connection and apply, then reconnect the connection.

When removing the sensor, the coolant will squirt a little, not enough to go and purchase new coolant to top off (unless you are low to begin with).

Neutral
    Thank you, everybody!

I'm going to replace it this weekend.

13. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information