Vehicle Speed Sensor Replace???
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Vehicle Speed Sensor Replace???

2001.5 Passat, V6 Automatic: I believe it's my Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) that got eaten by my CV Joint assembly, when I pushed it in too far. Apparently it has no hard stop. Rolled out of the driveway and got the ABS warning light. This after I had to replace the axle half shaft, because of a torn boot.

Is there a difference between an ABS Speed Sensor and a Vehicle Speed Sensor? How do you replace it? It seems to merge with other wiring then go through the wheel inner fender. Any suggestions?

I put a VSS on order at Autozone ($84), but Napa said it was $160. Does anyone have a part number, I'm wondering if I ordered the right sensor at Autozone?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    Stopshopanddrive has it for $160. I'd be curious who makes Autozone's for so cheap.

Take a look at the ring on the CV joint that it isn't damaged. If it is, you're going to need to replace that joint I believe- I think the ring is integral with the joint.

This is why you should always spin by hand anything you replace that turns, if at all possible, rather than apply 200 lb-ft of torque to it via your powertrain.

4th Gear
    The VSS is not the same as the speed sensor for the brakes. There is an ETKA parts sticky at the top of this forum. Look there. I believe this is the one you need with the brake pad sensor - 8D0927803D but there are several shown.
    It's $109 here. http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...ber=8D0927803D

3rd Gear
    Right. One's a wheel speed sensor, the other is the vehicle speed sensor.

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    please referance this walkthrough i wrote a few months back, for how to replace the Vehicle speed sensor, located on the speedometer housing attached to the transmission.

you may get away with not having to remove the entire assembly, axles and all, but it'd be good to get that seal while you're there, if you have the chance.

Neutral
    same here...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ctobio View Post
    Stopshopanddrive has it for $160. I'd be curious who makes Autozone's for so cheap.
    i believe it is a "wells" brand part.
    since i have not held it in hand there's a chance it could be another random 3rd party they carry, or even ZF's. no telling. (i say zf's because zf is the trans company, and we sell nissan maf's that come directly from the manufacturer, not knockoffs.)

Neutral
    Based on the picture on autohausaz.com, suggested by kenblasko, it is the ABS speed sensor (8D0927803D). Hope it's not hard to replace. Based on previous posts, I believe I need to remove the coolant reservoir to access the electrical connections on the engine side of the inner fender. I believe another post said that the sensor extends 1-2mm past the inside edge of the slot in the steering knuckle. Thank you for the help. I'm just surprised that there isn't a hard stop that would prevent the sensor from impacting the CV ring.......for knuckle heads like me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witherer View Post
    Based on the picture on autohausaz.com, suggested by kenblasko, it is the ABS speed sensor (8D0927803D). Hope it's not hard to replace. Based on previous posts, I believe I need to remove the coolant reservoir to access the electrical connections on the engine side of the inner fender. I believe another post said that the sensor extends 1-2mm past the inside edge of the slot in the steering knuckle. Thank you for the help. I'm just surprised that there isn't a hard stop that would prevent the sensor from impacting the CV ring.......for knuckle heads like me.
    so you are looking for the ABS sensor on the wheel/brake assembly, correct? not the one furthur inside the vehilce?

that thing isn't too bad to replace. heck, just pull it out, and follow the wires.
    may need a few zip ties, and some scissors.

Neutral
    Correct, the ABS sensor that inserts into the steering knuckle to sense the rotation of the CV joint ring. While waiting for the sensor, I tried tracing the wire that penetrates the inner fender, approximately in-line with the bottom edge of the windshield glass. There is a large black box sitting right over it. Is this the ABS module? Where do the connections go for these wires? It almost looks like they penetrate the firewall and may plug into the dash? This should be the easy part, but I've been fighting this the whole way.

Neutral
    Got the new sensor installed and everything back together. Was very careful to not install sensor too far, and rotated the wheel by hand with no problem. The ABS warning light and circular arrow with triangle warning light still stay on???? Does it need to be cleared? If so, how?

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by witherer View Post
    Got the new sensor installed and everything back together. Was very careful to not install sensor too far, and rotated the wheel by hand with no problem. The ABS warning light and circular arrow with triangle warning light still stay on???? Does it need to be cleared? If so, how?
    I seem to recall having to do this myself- it involved going out and driving in a couple of circles in both directions.

Have you done this?

Without a VAG-COM, but sure what more you can do to diagnose.

4th Gear
    X2, if the problem has been fixed, the warning lights should clear as the car is driven when the ABS module checks the system.

So if it doesn't clear after the drive, there are still trouble codes stored. You can scan then clear the codes from the ABS controller with a VAG-COM and then see if the codes come back.

Neutral
    I drove up and down the street a couple times. I'll try that a bit more, then will have to take it to a mechanic to reset the codes. I don't have VAG-COM. I'm wondering if the sensor is in far enough. The sensor boot is touching the steering knuckle, but I was a little gun-shy about inserting it too far. Not sure how close it needs to be to the ring on the CV joint. I will also try to cautiously push it in farther.

Neutral
    Took the wheel off again and pushed the ABS sensor in a little bit more. Backed out of the driveway and the ABS warning light went out. Problem solved, no need to clear any code.

The help you guys have given has been greatly appreciated. Wouldn't have attempted this job without it.

17. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information