car 'shakes' when I release the clutch pedal
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3rd Gear

car 'shakes' when I release the clutch pedal

My car shakes when i release the clutch pedal in first gear, sometimes it does it also when switching to second gear (especially at low RPMs). when the clutch is released the shaking seems to stop.
    If I start downhill it is not noticeable, but starting uphill makes the whole care shake (sometimes a lot) until the clutch pedal is fully released. it does it even if i try to release pedal in higher revs..
    clutch on its way out? is anything warped in there? or maybe motor mounts? any ideas?

yes I know how to drive, all I had in my life was manual transmissions (same with my wife).

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    The way to test your clutch is to get up to 3k or so in 5th and then floor it. If it slips, you probably have a worn clutch disc. If not, you have some other problem. Maybe your motor mounts are hosed?

SirWired

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    the vibration described could also be a worn throw-out bearing; I'd vote for either a bad throw-out bearing 1st, and a bad motor or tranny mount(s) second.

like sir wired said, the best way I know to test for a worn clutch is be on a major highway (say, at least a 55 mph road), and then push the accelerator all the way to the floor - if the tach increases with little to no increase in speed, the clutch is shot.

Click n Clack (a nationally syndicated radio show) would tell you to put your car bumper against a building, put it in 5th gear, and then let the clutch out - if the RPMs increase and the motor doesn't die when the clutch is fully out, the clutch is bad. I don't recommend this way, but I suppose it works...

3rd Gear
    clutch is not slipping.

I've seen how to check motor mounts with auto tranny by accelerating in D while pushing on stop pedal, but how do I do that with a manual transmition?
    Also how do I check the tranny mounts? any way of checking the throw-out bearing as well?

4th Gear
    A good start would be to get that sucker up on ramps and do a physical check. If they are obviously hosed, then there is your problem...

That is certainly about 10,000x times cheaper than pulling the tranny to check the throwout.

SirWired

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by sirwired View Post
    A good start would be to get that sucker up on ramps and do a physical check. If they are obviously hosed, then there is your problem...

That is certainly about 10,000x times cheaper than pulling the tranny to check the throwout.

SirWired
    I did the motor mount check thing and engine doesn't move that much side to side at all, and only rises up by 1/2 inch which is normal. car doesn't shake that much at idle either.

where are the tranny mounts located? what does "hosed" mean?

2nd Gear
    Physical check would be to see if they are leaking purple fluid out of the bottom. You will have staining on the mounts below them. Mine were both "hosed"/busted by 68,000 along with the front mount.

1st Gear
    do you "dump" the clutch cause i worked on a car that this person dumped the clutch and opened it up and the plate fell out in many peices. and gave a verry rough ride b4 we worked on it

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by D3R3K View Post
    do you "dump" the clutch cause i worked on a car that this person dumped the clutch and opened it up and the plate fell out in many peices. and gave a verry rough ride b4 we worked on it
    I never dump the clutch but I bought it used 30k miles ago (70k now). As far as I can remember it's always been doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by WKY01PASSATWGNTURBO View Post
    Physical check would be to see if they are leaking purple fluid out of the bottom. You will have staining on the mounts below them. Mine were both "hosed"/busted by 68,000 along with the front mount.
    I'll try looking out for that purple fluid then, I just dont know where any of the mounts are located.
    I guess what I have to look for is "where does the engine attach to the body"

3rd Gear
    You either have a bad clutch disc, warped pressure plate or fluid leaked onto the disc/pressure plate. A throwout bearing will not cause shaking, just noise.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
    You either have a bad clutch disc, warped pressure plate or fluid leaked onto the disc/pressure plate. A throwout bearing will not cause shaking, just noise.
    that doesnt sound too good, but it could very well be my problem. thanks for the info.

I guess I'm going to need a new clutch, arghhh.

Lefties have rights, too!
    A worn clutch shouldn't cause shaking just slippage. There are two easy ways to test the clutch.

Follows Jay's advice.

My guess is that your engine or tranny mounts are bad. A Passat's clutch can easily handle a K04 + chip upgrade. My '99 B5 went from 150 hp to 230 hp and I had no clutch issues at 127K miles. So unless you are a really bad driver I doubt it's the clutch.

How many miles do you have?

2nd Gear
    i'm leaning on tranny mount... Im having the same problem you are, in addition, sometimes when i brake a get a noticable "click coming from the area, my car's going in the shop in a couple weeks for the tb job, my valve cover leak and to look on the tranny mount... I'm at 98XXX and replaced my clutch and flywheel 1.5 yrs ago

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Parish View Post
    A worn clutch shouldn't cause shaking just slippage. There are two easy ways to test the clutch.

Follows Jay's advice.

My guess is that your engine or tranny mounts are bad. A Passat's clutch can easily handle a K04 + chip upgrade. My '99 B5 went from 150 hp to 230 hp and I had no clutch issues at 127K miles. So unless you are a really bad driver I doubt it's the clutch.

I tested the clutch and couldn't feel no slipping at all.

I'm at 70k miles right now. like i said I bought the car with 45k on it.. and i don't know the previous owner.

I looked at my engine while pushing on the accelerator but it wasn't moving left and right, could the motor mounts still be bad?
    where are the tranny mounts located? any way to check those without taking it apart?

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    the tranny and motor mounts are obviously cheaper to replace (as noted above) than a throw-out bearing (if this is what it is, you replace the clutch and pressure plate at the same time...).

got jackstands? the best way to check tranny and motor mounts is to get under the car. there will be a purpleish grease around them if they are bad... (makes note to self to check them at the next oil change)

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by katone View Post
    My car shakes when i release the clutch pedal in first gear, sometimes it does it also when switching to second gear (especially at low RPMs). when the clutch is released the shaking seems to stop.
    If I start downhill it is not noticeable, but starting uphill makes the whole care shake (sometimes a lot) until the clutch pedal is fully released. it does it even if i try to release pedal in higher revs..
    clutch on its way out? is anything warped in there? or maybe motor mounts? any ideas?

yes I know how to drive, all I had in my life was manual transmissions (same with my wife).
    I have the exact same problem..its driving me nuts
    Did you found what was faulty??

Thanks

4th Gear
    X2 on the throw out bearing.

5th Gear
    is it chatter or just shaking?

I'm just itching to be Banned NEWMAN'SOWN's Avatar
    Do you think that the OP is referring to the bucking you get in first gear when you are going to slow and the car is about to stall?

1st Gear
    This post seems to be from earlier this year but I wonder if he replaced the clutch or not.

I had really bad shuddering when releasing the clutch in first gear. It was not too bad when the engine was cold but once it warmed up it was horrible. Sitting in traffic was a nightmare. My clutch was also slipping in 4th and 5th gears. I bit the bullet and replaced the clutch and flywheel. The clutch had 120,000 miles at the time. Been like new ever since. It was worth the big expense and I'm hoping this clutch lasts even longer.
    Last edited by droop17; 12-03-2008 at 08:05 PM.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by droop17 View Post
    This post seems to be from earlier this year but I wonder if he replaced the clutch or not.

I had really bad shuddering when releasing the clutch in first gear. It was not too bad when the engine was cold but once it warmed up it was horrible. Sitting in traffic was a nightmare. My clutch was also slipping in 4th and 5th gears. I bit the bullet and replaced the clutch and flywheel. The clutch had 120,000 miles at the time. Been like new ever since. It was worth the big expense and I'm hoping this clutch lasts even longer.

It´s shaking like a big vibration , gets worst when engine is hot 90ºC/194ºF ..

My car was at the dealer to replace the clutch, it was slipping a lot,now it doesn´t, but i´m wondering if the F**** dealer only replaced the clutch
    and the flywhhel and bearing are the same..have paid the entire kit
    Just curious if Katone replaced the clutch kit or other spare..
    I already tried to PM him, but it looks like i need 5 posts
    i am getting there

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    if the problem happens when you pull your foot OFF of the pedal, the problem is not a toasted throwout bearing. the throwout bearing is retracted as soon as you pull your foot off of the pedal, and is applied to the pressure plate when you put your foot down on the clutch. the pressing against the pressure plate causes he outer ring, which is hinged to move the opposite direction with pressure, backs off, and the clutch has free movement, which the trans makes full use of for changing gears.if this happens only when you take your foot off, i'd say you may have a problem with your pressure plate (if it wasn't replaced) or something warped somewhere.

1st Gear
    i feel the vibration when i´m releasing the pedal, when i take my feet completly out of the pedal the vibration stops.. it´s the exact same problem described by katone..
    what you said makes all sense and possibly the dealer didn´t replaced the pressure plate, only the clutch disc..
    i´ll talk to the dealer , this time with more information..
    Thanks a lot.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Parish View Post

Follows Jay's advice.

x2

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by vw_passatB5_chris View Post
    x2
    will check that thank you..
    i´ve 150k km, something like 94k miles..

1st Gear
    Thyank you guys problem solved, one of the transmission mounts gone soft, replaced it and the shakes ended, thank you all for the help!!

he just thinks he's amazing. really. no kidding.
    Blog Entries
    tranny mount, huh? which one?

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by yugo View Post
    Thyank you guys problem solved, one of the transmission mounts gone soft, replaced it and the shakes ended, thank you all for the help!!
    where are the tranny mount? I looked and can't see them.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmazingDave View Post
    tranny mount, huh? which one?
    The smaller one, passenger side..it looks like a different car..

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by katone View Post
    where are the tranny mount? I looked and can't see them.

Yes katone, the best way is with the car lifted up, you can see a rubber part that supports the transmission.. but i did it by a different way, with a friend´s help, i asked him to push the hand brake and to release gradually the clutch, the car started to shake, and i could see where it was shaking..

32. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information