Front End Conversion
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Front End Conversion

I read a little bit about people doing a front end conversion from B5 to 5.5
    BUT what about doing an A4 (or S4) to a B5.5 Passsat?

I had a minor accident awhile back and i'm curious if this would work. I actually wanted the A4 when i was in the car buying market but came out with a passat.
    Has anyone done this (successfully?) or is it just a too much work/money wasted?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

5th Gear
    Anything's possible. I think there was a memeber that did a Skoda front on a B5 not long ago. The A4 might be too narrow, but I'm just thinking out loud here.

Neutral
    Well i was in love with the audi front end, and im not bashing the passat, cuz a badgeless grilled passat looks nice too. And i figure if im gonna do anyhting, NOW would be a good time.

PZ
    Redline
    I would expect you would have to replace the fenders, hood, radiator support as well as the bumper assembly. Past that, they are pretty much the same underneath from what I have seen.

the deal finder!
    don't forget headlights...

Neutral
    well seeing as how this accident requires me to get a new hood, bumper, headlights, and radiator support, i say NOW is perfect.

1st Gear
    barf.

If you like the a4 front, get the a4. My personal opinion is that too many VW mods revolve around trying to make the car more Audi-esque. Putting an entire Audi front on a Passat is just plain silly.

20vvillian
    The Stamped metal guts are too different you may as well do a chop from the a pillars foward, you would get better results, not that i would ride in a car cut like that, but it would be easiest!

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by 20vvillian View Post
    The Stamped metal guts are too different you may as well do a chop from the a pillars foward, you would get better results, not that i would ride in a car cut like that, but it would be easiest!
    thats the info i needed to hear
    its not worth it
    thank you

and that isn't sarcasm

Banned
    Since the front end of the car literally comes off if you remove a few bolts and hoses, you might be able to just pull a front-end from a wrecked A4 and bolt it onto your Passat.

EDIT: expect to have to replace the hood and possibly have the front quarter panels chopped and welded onto the front pieces of A4 front quarter panels, as well.

1st Gear
    The Passat-to-Audi conversion is actually much easier than you think!

In reverse, but chained to a tree.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Darter View Post
    Anything's possible. I think there was a memeber that did a Skoda front on a B5 not long ago. The A4 might be too narrow, but I'm just thinking out loud here.
    do you mean that dark green one that had the skoda tail lights fixed to it, side vents in the fenders, and gascap relocated?

beautiful work there. significant body modding however.

20vvillian
    Quote Originally Posted by deusexaethera View Post
    Since the front end of the car literally comes off if you remove a few bolts and hoses, you might be able to just pull a front-end from a wrecked A4 and bolt it onto your Passat.

EDIT: expect to have to replace the hood and possibly have the front quarter panels chopped and welded onto the front pieces of A4 front quarter panels, as well.
    What? A few bolts and front end comes off, are you talking about panels, because your chassis one piece you have to cut it.

And why would you weld on quarter panels (or as the rest of us call them fenders) onto another, you should get ETKA!

Overdrive
    I have wondered about doing this with a B6 front end, but wonder if the fenders are shorter.

Lefties have rights, too!
    Sounds like a crazy idea to me. But then there are old Beetles out there with Rolls Royce front ends.

Blog Entries
    haha, that actually doesn't look that bad.
    strange, but ok.

it's just so bizaar, considering that person extended the front end, as the rolls had the engine in the front, and likely left the enging in the rear. xD
    i wonder how much trunk space he got out of it. lol

Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
    It honestly depends how deep your pockets are, or how good you are with bodywork. Here are my thoughts (because I have thought about doing the same thing with a B6 A4 front end, but decided against it).

Get some OEM B6 fenders, trim them up so they fit with the door line, possibly weld some more metal depending on how they look fitment wise. Once the front fenders are on, then next real problem would be the hood it will obviously fit fine on the sides, but it may be too wide since i am not sure of the two comparative dimensions. The hood would definately need to be worked around the windshield area to get the curve the same, but it might also need to be cut in half and have some parts shaved off to make it the same width as the Passat front end.

The front bumper would only be a problem if you had to cut the hood to make it narrower, the same would be needed to be done to the bumper.

The headlights would be the easiest and should just fit right in, but securing them would be a custom job, same with fabbing up the radiator support since I am sure it wouldnt line up perfectly.

From there, the engine bay may look a little bit off because im sure the overall shape would be different. You may need to fiberglass some covers or something to cover the gaps created by a different size fenders and bumper areas. Remember the A4 grill comes up with the hood and the Passat one stays down, so it would look completely different with the hood open.

Is it possible? Sure...I live in the show scene so front end conversions from COMPLETELY different cars are nothing new, IS300 headlights on Civics, Supra front ends on Accords, 350Z headlights on a Celica, i have seen some CRAZY things. Some done correctly and look good, some are done horribly and look...well...horrible. Getting it done RIGHT and looking like it SHOULD as opposed to looking like a different car in the front is the hard part. Making it flow and getting smooth enough and good enough body work to make everything look like the car came that way is the tough part.

Personally if you are going to do this, I would say go all out. Get a DTM Karbon Boser hood, some eurospec headlights, a nice aftermarket front bumper and make it look GOOD.

Honestly though, for a daily driver (aka non show car) I dont think it would be worth it for the average person. There is A LOT, I mean A LOT of work involved to make sure everything not only FITS, but is secure down. That is all just straight custom labor. You would still be paying the same (if not more) for parts and paint labor as you would with the Passat parts, but you would have to add all the additional CUSTOM (anywhere from $65-95/hr) cutting, sanding, welding, molding, fitting, refitting, retrimming, etc. to make sure it looked perfect. This would be assuming you can find a shop willing to do the work. Honestly I dont think it is worth it, but it really depends how deep your pockets are.

Blog Entries
    his underlying statement (for dummies) is, if you don't have the will, or cash to complete an overly overwhelming process like this, the proper tools, knowledge, or funding, it would not be worth it.

though, before you get seriousily into a project like this, invest in photoshop. it will help you put the pieces together, (figuratively, and literally) to see how your combination would almost look after completion.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by bdm116 View Post
    The Passat-to-Audi conversion is actually much easier than you think!

DUDE! that's awesome! where can I get a grill like that

Blog Entries
    looks like someone just glued the rings and "quatro" sticker themselves

Neutral
    Rollin, thanks, that was much needed advice. I'm going to just go ahead and get all V dub parts and that way, when it comes time to get a new car, it will still retain some of that value. I'm pretty sure most dealers dont want a passat with an audi front end.

20vvillian
    You mean after all the good advice you got, you still think you can just swap panels, it will be surgery going on and your car will never be the same and any dealer will know, only another tuner will buy a car like this for a project.

Look at the cut lines and alignment of the panels. Its major surgery, you wont be just bolting and unbolting you better go to welding class!

24. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information