does the cold affect the turbo
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Banned

does the cold affect the turbo

this is very strange. In warmer weather the turbo has this low pitch long sound in cold weather there is this high pitch short sound u can barely hear it. My question is does the weather affect the turbo or is there something wrong with my turbo

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

nm+
    5th Gear
    Well technically, cold weather could cause metal to shrink a bit, increasing noise. However, I dunno what is normal in the turbo though.
    Also, you're going to have to define cold?
    California cold (40F)
    New York cold (20F)
    Minnesota cold (-10F)
    Calgery/Winnipeg cold (Ice Planet Hoth ~-40f)

Banned
    Pennsylvania 10F-30F when the temp is around 35f and up the turbo sounds good and everything. In both cases I can feel the boost and everything the car picks up the same. The only thing thats bugging me is the wierd sound. in cold there is this sharp ffffffff for a couple of seconds and you can barely hear it. In warmer weather theres this smoth sound

4th Gear
    the turbo has to work a lot less to move the same amount o air in cold weather, so the change in noise could just be the difference in the strain on the turbo and its operating speed.

unless there is a performance loss, or you can log and document operating issues, my guess is that everything is working to spec.

Banned
    I checked the vac lines and I didn see any boost leak or anything. Maybe u right ModofiedA4 since in cold weather the turbo works less due to the air being cold and everything

Neutral
    Cold air might affect your turbo, but my guess is only if two things are happening, your bearings are getting worn and the oil passages are getting sludged up. Other than that cold air is more dense and unless it is really loud and performance has dropped, drive until it dies.

1st Gear
    southern california had a cold snap a few weeks ago. that was my first time driving my passat in the cold (below freezing) without a car full of ski equip. the car was an absolute rocket with the intercooler chilled down like that...

i can barely hear my turbo ever, though.

6th Gear
    IIRC, the engine management takes the ambient temperature into account while controlling the boost....I don't think you get full boost when it's really cold out.

Neutral
    yeah my car feels a lot faster in cold temperatures, it feels like its easier for the turbo to work.

3rd Gear
    yes Turbo's LOOOOOOVE Cold air...mmmmm, my car feels like a monster in cold weather

1st Gear
    oh yeah, turbos love the cold like fat kids like candy!!! hense the names, interCOOLER, COOLAIR intake, colder air is better for your engine.

13. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information