Wind noise -- Moonroof adjustment?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

Wind noise -- Moonroof adjustment?

I've had problems with significant wind noise from the leading edge of the moonroof since getting the car and I'm getting tired of it. Should have insisted it be fixed before taking the car but I didn't realize until after I took delivery. Is it possible to adjust the positioning of the moonroof side-to-side and front-to-back? Dealer says no, but I have a hard time believing something that requires such precise positioning has no adjustment. I can easily slip a business card in along the front and passenger-side gaps but no chance in the rear and driver-side ones.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    here a pdf on the complete sunroof
    http://volkswagen.msk.ru/body/b5/b5_roof_from_08_98.pdf

1st Gear
    i had the same problem, except it sounds like its coming from my windsheild.. thats really annnoying cause i cant find it.

3rd Gear
    The insulation popped up a little bit on my car one time which created quite a bit of wind noise. I'd recommend opening the moonroof and then get out of the car and inspect it to make sure the insulation is properly seated on the glass.

2nd Gear
    Mine was always a bit noisy with the sunroof shade back...when it was slid forward, there was no noise. I'm wondering if when it's slid forward, it pushes on the sunroof a bit & seals it better?

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by StewPidass0
    Mine was always a bit noisy with the sunroof shade back...when it was slid forward, there was no noise. I'm wondering if when it's slid forward, it pushes on the sunroof a bit & seals it better?
    Most cars with sunroofs do this, including my 2002 B5.5. My dad's 2004 Lexus LS400 also has noticeable wind noise when the sunshade is open. But when it's closed, noda. My girl's 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe does this as well. Who knows.

1st Gear
    Yeah, this is my second car with a moonroof and we have a couple other vehicles in the family with them as well. There's always some extra wind noise with the shade open that is masked when you close it, but this is on a different level. At highway speeds I frequently notice it just plain roaring, sometimes to the point where I close the shade just to get a break from it. I can also see a very fine gap between the seal and the metal at the leading edge of the moonroof if I site across the top of the car.

I looked over the PDF file Ja_Pimp_It linked to with the exploded view of the moonroof assembly and I notice the seal itself is adjustable. I guess I'll have to experiment a little with it along the front edge and see if I want to go through the trouble of removing the glass altogether to adjust the seal all the way around and bring it more into spec. If it's going to be too much of a headache I guess I'll just have to give in and get one of the moonroof visors. I enjoyed having one on my old 1st-gen Acura Legend but the lines of the car lended themselves to that kind of look better than the passat. Oh well. Have to cross that bridge when I get there, I suppose.

Thanks all.

9. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information